Developer Preview Bricked My Phone

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Got the DP update last night (update that added real time battery live tile). Phone worked fine. Plugged in to charge over night and woke up to find that my email tiles were missing. I tried to access Accounts settings but the phone would not allow it.

I powered the phone off and then on. When the phone turned on, I have a lock screen but when I unlock the phone it is just a black screen with status icons across the top. I can only access the notification screen from the lock screen but it will not let me into settings, camera, etc. Soft keys give haptic feedback and I can adjust the volume.

I have completed multiple soft resets but I cannot hard reset without accessing settings.

Any thoughts?

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It is a HTC 8X so Nokia tools won't help me :( I will try the hard reset via hardware buttons. If that doesn't work I think I may go by the Microsoft store and see if they have any thoughts (probably a long shot).

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Got the DP update last night (update that added real time battery live tile). Phone worked fine. Plugged in to charge over night and woke up to find that my email tiles were missing. I tried to access Accounts settings but the phone would not allow it.

I powered the phone off and then on. When the phone turned on, I have a lock screen but when I unlock the phone it is just a black screen with status icons across the top. I can only access the notification screen from the lock screen but it will not let me into settings, camera, etc. Soft keys give haptic feedback and I can adjust the volume.

I have completed multiple soft resets but I cannot hard reset without accessing settings.

Any thoughts?

Your phone isn't 'bricked' then....

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you can do a factory reset by doing below:

1. Power off
2. Press and hold the volume down button, then briefly press power button. Release the volume down button when you see an icon on screen.
3. Then press the following buttons in sequence: Vol up, vol down, power, vol down.

Hope that helps!

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It was fully charged this morning when I tried the reset. Not sure why it won't take. I even took it to a MS store and the tech was unable to do anything with it. I think I may steal my sister's upgrade and get the Icon.

Deanig_12

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It was fully charged this morning when I tried the reset. Not sure why it won't take. I even took it to a MS store and the tech was unable to do anything with it. I think I may steal my sister's upgrade and get the Icon.

there must be away to reeload the software have you tried zune??

Deanig_12

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

try this

Make sure that the device is POWERED OFF. If need be, press and hold the power button, and then drag the window to the bottom of the display to power off. Once the “goodbye” message appears, allow up to 15 seconds for the device to completely power off.
Press the POWER button to turn the device back on.
Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN key.
When an EXCLAMATION MARK (!) appears on the display, press the following keys in the following order:
(1) VOLUME UP
(2) VOLUME DOWN
(3) POWER
(4) VOLUME DOWN

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

If the hard reset doesn't work then you can say goodbye to the phone... Time to move on :) Does suck tho

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses and help; the WP community is great. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Looks like it is a paperweight.

xPutNameHerex

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a microSD card? My Lumia 822 is busted, but after doing some experimenting, it appears I can get it to turn on and function as long as I don't have my microSD card inserted. Which is highly annoying, because all my music and several of my games with long term saves are on there(including the recently delisted FIFA 14), but at least I have a functioning phone for the time being.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a microSD card? My Lumia 822 is busted, but after doing some experimenting, it appears I can get it to turn on and function as long as I don't have my microSD card inserted. Which is highly annoying, because all my music and several of my games with long term saves are on there(including the recently delisted FIFA 14), but at least I have a functioning phone for the time being.

No SD card slot for the 8X. I went and got the Icon 😊

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99