Is the windowsphone preview update stable and brick free ?

Yash Parikh

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am a Lumia 1520 user. I had installed the windowsphone 8.1.1 developer preview on my phone a month back. However being afraid of having my phone bricked due to preview version , I decided to disable from preview app and uninstalled the preview app from phone.

Now my extra + info shows that am running a Denim update on my phone .. Although I know its showing it becoz of a bug.

What should I do now ? Should I enable the preview app again to receive future updates and the official denim update ? Or should I wait for the official update to come without doing anything.

Also is preview software brick free / stable ??

Yash Parikh

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Even if I try to go back by the recovery tool of Lumia from my pc .. It will take me directly to wp8 which is way back... I would have gone back by this method if it could take me back to Lumia cyan instead of wp8

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Once you enable the dev preview (by signing up with a dev account at app studio or an actual developed account) and download and install the dev preview OS, you cannot roll back. The only way to get back to a retail OS is to use the recovery tool and flash your phone.

If you end up going all the way back to 8.0, you'll just have to follow the normal update path through your carrier to get back to 8.1 Cyan

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Even if I try to go back by the recovery tool of Lumia from my pc .. It will take me directly to wp8 which is way back... I would have gone back by this method if it could take me back to Lumia cyan instead of wp8

Is the official update available for the 1520? If so, you could install WP8 and then check for the Cyan update. If memory serves me well, that's what I did with my Lumia 520. It's difficult to go back to 8 once you've been on 8.1 but everything after that is minor. At least for me, so I disabled the Dev preview after Cyan.

My experience with Dev Preview isn't good. It bricked my phone, which led me to buy the 520. So, personally I wouldn't chance it if my phone was working fine.

Yash Parikh

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am worried of the same for my phone getting bricked and hence I disabled the app. But I feel I am still running a preview update and have stopped myself from receiving further updates. Will have to use the Lumia recovery tool I guess :(

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any issues whatsoever with any of the dev previews. I'm still on it right now on my 1520 and running smooth as silk.

A new update just came out today for dev preview, why not download it and update and see how it goes before going through all the trouble of flashing etc.??

Yash Parikh

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Maybe ur right and I should go for installing the new update of today's. But am just worried about my phone's safety... #bricked... I have no mood of going all the way back to wp8 and then come back to wp8.1 etc and the long tiring process :(

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ed has a good point. If things go wrong, you could always use the recovery tool. This was not an option on my Ativ S, but as a Nokia user, that option is available to you.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe ur right and I should go for installing the new update of today's. But am just worried about my phone's safety... #bricked... I have no mood of going all the way back to wp8 and then come back to wp8.1 etc and the long tiring process :(

I've never worried once about the dev preview bricking my phone. It's perfectly safe, not to mention it comes straight from Microsoft. This isn't some 3rd party hack or jaibreak we're talking about here lol.

And if you have things slightly out of order (denim showing in extras/info for example) you can always do a hard reset (from settings/about/reset your phone) This will clear things up and clean up all the junk files left over from various updates etc. You'll then have a clean install of the latest dev preview. Of course do a backup before doing the hard reset, so you can restore all your apps and settings and so forth.

Yash Parikh

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes Ed ur right. It comes straight from Microsoft so a less worry. I was worried coz my many friends told that their lumias got bricked so this put me into double thought as i wanted to use these latest updates but also wanted to play safe. However I am finally installing the latest preview update so wish me luck :p

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Good luck! I've never heard of a Lumia getting bricked from a dev preview.. they must have had something else going on with their phones.

Yash Parikh

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Also I just noticed that after I installed the latest wp8.1.1 preview update the bug which showed the DENIM thing under extras+ info now again shows the lumia CYAN #FIXED

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Preview for Developers won't brick your phone. It isn't unstable. It is not optimized though and people have issues on the program including reduced battery run time and connectivity difficulties. If you are not prepared to spend a lot of time on your device researching and sussing out problems, the P4D is probably not for you.

About Lumia Software Recovery Tool. It may now take you to 8.1 + Cyan. The SRT always flashes the last Official and 8.1 + Cyan has rolled out for all 1520 variants except country variants (Factory Unlocked) for Angola, Kenya, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, ...and carrier Claro in Chile/Costa Rica/Ecuador/El Salvador/Guatemala/Mexico/Nicaragua/Peru/Uruguay/Venezuela ...carrier Antel in Uruguay ...or carrier movieStar in Panama...

As long as that list is, the list of 1520's that are Official for 8.1 + Cyan is waaay longer. I used the SRT to move my then brand new 1520.3 immediately to 8.1 + Cyan back in late August.

Software update for Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
No software is ever bug free today. Since updates are often paid, and a good development is slow and costly, delivering bugged software is a win-win situation for (mainstream) developers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett