Your realistic prediction of 8.1

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Since Windows Phone 8.1 is just a few months away from us, and some features are already leaked, I would like to ask you guys, what other changes are going to be revealed?

Whats already revealed (very unlikely to change):
Quick Settings curtain with notifications on longer swipe
Cortana (will it be closer to Now or Siri? or a combination?)
Separate volume controls
Windows 8.1-like Bing Smart Search
XBOX Music & XBOX Video as separate apps
Revamped People hub (how its gonna be?)
Installation of apps on microSD
Swipe left to clear live tile
Ghost notifications (no toast)
On-screen buttons for some phones?

I expect a realistic prediction. So, no 'It will be Windows RT' because we already know that its coming with Threshold update.

From my point of view:
Windows 8.1-like search button behavior
Windows 8.1-like start button behavior (press start to open the start screen, and press it again to go back to the app you were using)
Windows 8.1-like apps drawer (separated by category or frequency)
Moto X / XBOX One-like voice recognition activation (okay, this is optimistic, but the XBOX One has it, why not on WP?)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'd take everything you said (minus the voice part) and add Windows 8-style animation.

Also, an actual OS-tan. Come on, Microsoft, show some (anime) love for Windows Phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm doubtful that will come without any caveats. I don't know what MS is expecting to deliver, but I wouldn't be surprised if such an SD card, onto which apps are installed, may not be removed or swapped out at will.

Windows 8.1-like apps drawer

Only if you are talking about the app list... on the start screen... nope.

Moto X / XBOX One-like voice recognition activation (okay, this is optimistic, but the XBOX One has it, why not on WP?)

Possible, but definitely won't be available for any of the existing devices, including the 1520 and 1320. This feature requires extra hardware that is designed specifically for low-power/standby audio analysis, which none of the current devices include.

What other changes are going to be revealed?
VPN
IE tab sync on WP
In the task switcher flick down to close app (instead of the 'x')
Deeper integration of SkyDrive into the OS. The SkyDrive app will include some file management capabilities.
Ability to dictate anywhere you could write text (system wide)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just want to be able to send office docs directly in emails and edit playlists and no, I have no interest in an Xbox music subscription just to do that.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Every new feature is welcome, even if i don't use it, but i crave for more Bluetooth support like HID profiles for wireless keyboards and maybe USB OTG. I just hope WP 8.1 will get those features.

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
What I would love
1: SD card can support apps
2: Downloading songs apps and videos via IE
3: notification center
4: Cortana (voice assistant)
5: less limitations (battery apps) and for apps like TimeMe
6: more than 15 background app
7: better notifications

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Since Windows Phone 8.1 is just a few months away from us, and some features are already leaked, I would like to ask you guys, what other changes are going to be revealed?

Whats already revealed (very unlikely to change):
Quick Settings curtain with notifications on longer swipe
Cortana (will it be closer to Now or Siri? or a combination?)
Separate volume controls
Windows 8.1-like Bing Smart Search
XBOX Music & XBOX Video as separate apps
Revamped People hub (how its gonna be?)
Swipe left to clear live tile
Ghost notifications (no toast)
On-screen buttons for some phones?

I expect a realistic prediction. So, no 'It will be Windows RT' because we already know that its coming with Threshold update.

From my point of view:
Windows 8.1-like search button behavior
Windows 8.1-like start button behavior (press start to open the start screen, and press it again to go back to the app you were using)
Windows 8.1-like apps drawer (separated by category or frequency)

The thing that I saw in an online banner ad in Hawaii

Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 5.41.29 PM.png

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Full Phone backup [i.e. create a phone image that can be loaded back in case of hard reset or device replacement due to defect or damage]; MS will probably screw this up somehow and it will be only half as effective, but it would be great to have an easy backup and restore and WITHOUT the use of the damn cloud, I have plenty of local storage, thanks MS.
File Explorer
Native support for more file types [hopefully inc. flac]

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From my point of view:

this sounds really nice after using my surface but when I thought about it, doesn't the back button do that already? i'm using an app, hit start, then back button to return to the app. my surface lacks a back button so it works for that device.

I emailed elop about expanding nfc support on the lumias and working with MS. I'd like an NFC ring that would unlock my phone when I pick it up automatically but the nfc implementation isn't there yet (notification everytime you have nfc work). Elop responded saying he forwarded my request to the appropriate dept.

I think smartwatch support may be added with more functionality. I read that a lot of the functions that would work on a smartwatch are locked down on the os

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't really matter. MS could address every single deficiency on the o/s except one, and you know some folks will cry like little girls about how "Microsoft has given up".

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Improved XBOX music playlist and easier controls- first and most important. This shortcoming has kept me on WP7 for this long. Don't let me down, MS...

Better tile controls including changing colors of each one native to the OS. Sure, apps can do it, from what I hear. Why would I want to waste memory downloading something to make an option happen that is a simple fix in the code?? Also like the idea of a few different tile sizes, especially with big screened devices with 5" screens and larger.

Love the idea of more native Skydrive intergration. Amazing tool only scratching the surface of what it can mean to this ecosystem.

I am excited for 8.1. Really, truly excited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb