Notification Centre on WP8.1

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Android like or not isn't (in itself) a bad thing. What I'm more interested in is how this works in apps that already use the 'swipe down from edge' gesture themselves. To me it sounds like each app will have a say in whether it is accessible or not. That doesn't sound like a good design for something you would want to be able to access from everywhere. Here too... I'd like to know more.

Are there many apps that do "swipe down from edge"?

It is REAL and endorsed by Daniel, the man himself - First screenshots of the Notification Center for Windows Phone 8.1 reveal new design | Windows Phone Central 10/10 on rum-o-meter.

Also, merged.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are there many apps that do "swipe down from edge"?

If I knew how to count them I would ;-)

Ever since WP7, apps could disable the status bar so it doesn't get in the way of other gestures... I've seen a few apps that do so. It sounds like this is similar.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if it's 100 or 10'000 apps. If this is really how it is intended to function, then it adds usage inconsistencies... meaning thousands of people will experience situations where they think WP is broken, because sometimes the AC will appear and other times it won't. The reasoning behind it won't be immediately obvious to everyone.

I have trouble believing MS could screw something that simple up though... wait and see.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If I knew how to count them I would ;-)

Ever since WP7, apps could disable the status bar so it doesn't get in the way of other gestures... I've seen a few apps that do so. It sounds like this is similar.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if it's 100 or 10'000 apps. If this is really how it is intended to function, then it adds usage inconsistencies... meaning thousands of people will experience situations where they think WP is broken, because sometimes the AC will appear and other times it won't. The reasoning behind it won't be immediately obvious to everyone.

I have trouble believing MS could screw something that simple up though... wait and see.

man what are you talking about, first better not call action center "AC", as "AC" means Air Conditioning.

second, most probably there is about 0 apps that uses edges as its not that much common in the system itself.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
man what are you talking about, first better not call action center "AC", as "AC" means Air Conditioning.

second, most probably there is about 0 apps that uses edges as its not that much common in the system itself.

It is a common windows abbreviation where I work, so excuse the habbit. Anyway, I doubt anyone would confuse the two. You understood, so I don't think the acronym police is required here. Thanks ;-)

It's not just edge swipes though. It is any touch at the top of the screen. MS thought the potential conflict was important enough to allow apps to disable the status bar. If you don't want to take my word for it, that should count for something.

Anyway, my other point is more important. This I could live with, it's just bound to add inconsistencies.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is a common windows abbreviation where I work, so excuse the habbit. Anyway, I doubt anyone would confuse the two. You understood, so I don't think the acronym police is required here. Thanks ;-)

It's not just edge swipes though. It is any touch at the top of the screen. MS thought the potential conflict was important enough to allow apps to disable the status bar. If you don't want to take my word for it, that should count for something.

Anyway, my other point is more important. This I could live with, it's just bound to add inconsistencies.

Maybe its not just a touch? May be its a swipe, a long swipe from top - may be with 2 fingers?

The way I see apps being disabled from accessing status bar in WP7.x and WP8 was to be able to run with gigantic metro headings like in People Hub. Now surely that would look ugly when you tap and have icons dropping on the word "People" or anything the app was shouting. That design seems to have died down now.

However, if it wasn't going to just a tap but a long swipe with 2 fingers that pulls down quick settings and then another swipe (1 finger, 2 finger doesn't matter now) pulls down notifications - that wouldn't clash right? No app I know in the whole of 180,000 has been THAT innovative or gesture friendly to do exact same thing for in app actions. This 2 finger, long swipe can definitely then over ride any app that you are in as it is an intentional gesture that no one else can implement(?)

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm suspicious. Note the WiFi connection. Would someone, from Microsoft, really create internal presentation slides while sitting in Starbucks? Possible, but.......

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm suspicious. Note the WiFi connection. Would someone, from Microsoft, really create internal presentation slides while sitting in Starbucks? Possible, but.......

It does look real, but I agree it's weird to have this kind of thing on the slide. The other odd thing is that 'on' seems to be indicated by the accent color, because Airplane Mode is off, so looks like bluetooth is on. Except Wifi is clearly on but it's not highlighted. ??

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What I am telling is, the whole notification centre (or action centre as they call it) looks a lot like its equivalent in android. I bet android and apple people will start complaining about this.

I still haven't found a single thing in wp that looks like android or ios. This reputation will be in jeopardy with this action centre..

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What I am telling is, the whole notification centre (or action centre as they call it) looks a lot like its equivalent in android. I bet android and apple people will start complaining about this.

I still haven't found a single thing in wp that looks like android or ios. This reputation will be in jeopardy with this action centre..

Blame everyone who asked for it on User voice and on here.

blackout2005

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
58682137.wp8notification11020largevergeme.jpg

Seems legit.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Even if there's an issue, I'll let the lawyers worry about that. I think it's a good move. Swiping from an edge is all over Win8, so it's fine that it also does something in WP8. And for people making the switch from Android or iOS it will be nice to find such an important feature where they expect it.

Good point.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
However, if it wasn't going to just a tap but a long swipe with 2 fingers that pulls down quick settings and then another swipe (1 finger, 2 finger doesn't matter now) pulls down notifications - that wouldn't clash right?

You're right. Something like that would probably work. Apps typically do not deal with raw touch input (direct touch tracking), but rather with pre-processed gestures that the OS has already interpreted (OS registered a tap gesture, OS registered a swipe gesture from point A to point B, etc). If the OS gesture interpreter recognizes an entirely new type of gesture (two finger edge swipe from top) that didn't previously exist, then that is very unlikely to interfere with any existing apps.

I'd say you've found a possible solution. Maybe MS has done that, it's just not what it sounds like in the descriptions I've read so far.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
With the Lumia 929 confirmed, and the beast of WP the Lumia 1520. And now this new "Action Center" being confirmed, this is looking like a good year to be on WP.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
With the Lumia 929 confirmed, and the beast of WP the Lumia 1520. And now this new "Action Center" being confirmed, this is looking like a good year to be on WP.

You forgot to mention goldfinger, moneypenny and the successor to Lumia 1020 ( which were all leaked by evleaks) ;)

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Wait for Daniel's "Fake" comment :p

It never came, the rum O' meter said it was a 10/10 :)

It does look real, but I agree it's weird to have this kind of thing on the slide. The other odd thing is that 'on' seems to be indicated by the accent color, because Airplane Mode is off, so looks like bluetooth is on. Except Wifi is clearly on but it's not highlighted. ??

maybe they are bugs, am sure it has matured since that slide

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashish Kakade05

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a question to all of you in this forum.
Which notification center would you all prefer(ios,android or wp)???
In my opinion considering leaks of action center....i would prefer wp....that's gonna be awesome...what about you all??

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows phone 8.1 action center leaked

Can't wait for it guys!!!

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a question to all of you in this forum.
Which notification center would you all prefer(ios,android or wp)???
In my opinion considering leaks of action center....i would prefer wp....that's gonna be awesome...what about you all??

What's the difference? They all look the same.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm still waiting on the ability to search files on the friggin phone from a single place (like spotlight search on iPhone or search in Win 8.1), and a GOD DAMN BUILT IN TIMER/STOPWATCH! I'm gonna be really ticked off if both of those features are still missing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb