Notification Centre on WP8.1

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Which one is the successor to Lumia 1020? Thats the phone I've been wating for, but I have not seen anything about it yet. I'm so pumped!

evleaks said that a new imaging flagship was in the works, that would the successor to the 1020.

Anyway, I would say it will be the gold finger since with a new processor and technology, a 1020 would be considered a true flagship to Nokia(or Microsoft). And that's what goldfinger is - the next flagship

Last edited:

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows phone 8.1 action center leaked

I'm happy we're getting a notification center...since we can't set more apps to show on the lock screen, and tiles have to be pinned to show, but I'm seeing a lot of conflicts with the swipes with this myself. Time can only tell what will be changed, I just wish it wasn't so far away.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I just want to know if you can setup custom notifications PER EMAIL. WP works for phone and texting, but for the love of God, I don't know why they stopped there and didn't give the option for emails. This is critical for me and getting to the point where if it doesn't happen, I will have to look at another OS (I know people don't care, but it is a feature I have been waiting for since WP7).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
so how would you do two fingers with one-handed use?

You can't. Android uses the 2 finger swipe for Quick Settings on phones, and you can't do it one handed. At least I can't. It's a problem, but that's the way it is.

There is a way to do it one handed but it requires an extra step. The one finger swipe down opens the notification center. At the top right corner is a button to open Quick Settings. So to get to Quick Settings one handed it's a one finger swipe down plus one tap. Still quick, but 2 steps.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion - ugly and a rip off from an Android custom ROM. Does nothing unique. MSFT being the last one in the race had a chance to come up with a trick that was unique to them and an airflip that was never seen before, but alas, we are playing catch up by copying how the front runners are running.
While I agree to an extent, I think having a categoried notification center is what sets them apart. To my knowledge, the competition just has a list of notifications, which after awhile can be annoying

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Of course there could have been a unique way! This grouping under a swipe is so Android. We have HUBS. We could have used ME hub for notifications. We already collect social notifications in that hub, why couldn't the OS extend to collect notifications on there?

An option to swipe with two fingers from top would slide in the ME tile with all the notifications. This way those who want Android/iOS features where they have always been, because they can't be arsed to learn new stuff, can have notification drop down "unique to WP" and those like me who love tiles, could still have ME tile pinned and get tile to flip when there are notifications. Silent notifications can keep building up in ME hub and could be accessible with swipe.

Nothing is original in Android :p

At one point, I thought that a unique way to access the notification center would've been ideal, but I personally can't think of a better way. Based on your idea above (which I don't fully understand) has one problem in that a 2 finger pull is not feasible when you're using a phone one-handed. Sure with a big phone, a one-finger pull is hard, but it's still doable. Also, you want the Me tile to open when you swipe from the top? I'm not sure what that really means, but I fail to see how the list of notifications in Me tile are any more useful than the Action Center. Just pretend the Action Center is your Me tile :)

Anyway, my point is, being different for the sake of being different isn't always the best solution. Google and Apple both decided to use the same method because it is quick to access and can be accessed from anywhere. I do like the uniqueness of windows phone, but making a keyboard upside down just for the sake of being different is silly.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course there could have been a unique way! This grouping under a swipe is so Android. We have HUBS. We could have used ME hub for notifications. We already collect social notifications in that hub, why couldn't the OS extend to collect notifications on there?

An option to swipe with two fingers from top would slide in the ME tile with all the notifications. This way those who want Android/iOS features where they have always been, because they can't be arsed to learn new stuff, can have notification drop down "unique to WP" and those like me who love tiles, could still have ME tile pinned and get tile to flip when there are notifications. Silent notifications can keep building up in ME hub and could be accessible with swipe.
how's it different from the current (assumed) implementation ? instead of using 1 finger, users have to use two fingers ?

Putting it in ME tile will clutter the ME hub IMO. it already has three "panned" views.

I think swipping from the top makes the most sense for notifications instead of having it inside an app.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

See my reply above. There are ways unique to WP. That would have been a choice to users as well as a tick in the list of feature. Tile lot gets tile. Drop down lot gets drop down.

Nothing is original in Android :p

First of all two finger swiping is dumb already as how would you access your notifications if you were to use one hand? You would be forced to use the second hand....and I can get around my phone with one hand easily without the need for the second hand just so you can have two fingers on the screen.

Second, if you swiped down and it reveals the Me hub's notification list, how is that any different than what android or ios does? Its still a list of notifications.....(some maybe more organized than others). If you swiped down and it goes to the me hub, it would have to be the notification 'page' otherwise you're forced to use additional swipes left or right just to get to it which would be pretty stupid and pointless if the whole point of swiping down from anywhere is to see the notifications first. With that said it goes back to the previous point....how is going to that list any different than having ios and android show a list of notifications...its still a list of notifications.

If you think about it the only real 'unique' thing you can do to the notification center is make it look prettier or different and even that is going to be a stretch since its just a damn list.

Then there is the swipe access. It needs to be consistent across the board. Swipe from right brings you app list and kids corner (from lock screen). Swipe from left does nothing, and swipe from bottom is unlock. couldn't you use left swipe? Well think about it. If you wanted FULL TIME ACCESS FROM ANYWHERE (lock screen, app, homescreen, web browser, etc) What is the only constant that all these views have that isn't available elsewhere? The status bar at the top. Whether the icons are there or not (since they disappear) that bar is ALWAYS there. If you were to swipe from left or right from say within an app they'd need either a border or you'd be swiping constantly until you reach the end of swipe cuz the notification center isn't going to plunk itself in the middle of you swiping left or right between say pictures. A border is unnecessary since theres already one at the top with the status icons....

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
At one point, I thought that a unique way to access the notification center would've been ideal, but I personally can't think of a better way. Based on your idea above (which I don't fully understand) has one problem in that a 2 finger pull is not feasible when you're using a phone one-handed. Sure with a big phone, a one-finger pull is hard, but it's still doable. Also, you want the Me tile to open when you swipe from the top? I'm not sure what that really means, but I fail to see how the list of notifications in Me tile are any more useful than the Action Center. Just pretend the Action Center is your Me tile :)

Anyway, my point is, being different for the sake of being different isn't always the best solution. Google and Apple both decided to use the same method because it is quick to access and can be accessed from anywhere. I do like the uniqueness of windows phone, but making a keyboard upside down just for the sake of being different is silly.

how's it different from the current (assumed) implementation ? instead of using 1 finger, users have to use two fingers ?

Putting it in ME tile will clutter the ME hub IMO. it already has three "panned" views.

I think swipping from the top makes the most sense for notifications instead of having it inside an app.

First of all two finger swiping is dumb already as how would you access your notifications if you were to use one hand? You would be forced to use the second hand....and I can get around my phone with one hand easily without the need for the second hand just so you can have two fingers on the screen.

Second, if you swiped down and it reveals the Me hub's notification list, how is that any different than what android or ios does? Its still a list of notifications.....(some maybe more organized than others). If you swiped down and it goes to the me hub, it would have to be the notification 'page' otherwise you're forced to use additional swipes left or right just to get to it which would be pretty stupid and pointless if the whole point of swiping down from anywhere is to see the notifications first. With that said it goes back to the previous point....how is going to that list any different than having ios and android show a list of notifications...its still a list of notifications.

If you think about it the only real 'unique' thing you can do to the notification center is make it look prettier or different and even that is going to be a stretch since its just a damn list.

Then there is the swipe access. It needs to be consistent across the board. Swipe from right brings you app list and kids corner (from lock screen). Swipe from left does nothing, and swipe from bottom is unlock. couldn't you use left swipe? Well think about it. If you wanted FULL TIME ACCESS FROM ANYWHERE (lock screen, app, homescreen, web browser, etc) What is the only constant that all these views have that isn't available elsewhere? The status bar at the top. Whether the icons are there or not (since they disappear) that bar is ALWAYS there. If you were to swipe from left or right from say within an app they'd need either a border or you'd be swiping constantly until you reach the end of swipe cuz the notification center isn't going to plunk itself in the middle of you swiping left or right between say pictures. A border is unnecessary since theres already one at the top with the status icons....

You guys are talking how Windows 95 fans talked before iOS introduced docks and it will all be revolutionary. You are failing to see how a chance to do something different and push "hubs" forward is being missed here.

The way you are all against two finger swipe, its so hypocritical. You want to have notifications slider like Android but don't see how Android has two finger swipe gesture? And they have some big *** phones since years! We've only got one like 2 months back.

ME tile is about me. It should be about my apps, my sports, my social networks and my quick settings. Why isn't that used to full potential? What's wrong with re organising ME tile panned view? Do we really need to see "What's new" i.e. your own newsfeed? Can't that screen have real notifications??

Can't that screen drop off when you swipe from top with ONE finger? So anyone who pins the ME tile can use it that way. The lazy ones who want everything like Android can swipe from top and still see one of the panned screens of ME tile?!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
rockstarzzz & cckgz4, stop fighting it, and embrace Notification Centre.

Not fighting it at all. Calling it ugly is just subjective opinion. WP8 has grown to its numbers not by veterans like me. It has grown to these numbers from the mighty power users of Android so it was but obvious that design will change to satisfy the majority but wasn't sure it was going to be this quick.

On a bigger picture this can only mean a good thing - more droids jumping the ship and changing WP to feel at home, a better home.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
rockstarzzz & cckgz4, stop fighting it, and embrace Notification Centre.

If it sucks, then it deserves to be fought. :wink:

Right now we don't know enough. The quick access settings look fine. However, notifications appear to include a lot of useless overlap with the start screen, and the app-by-app configurability is bound to become a nightmare. I hope I'm completely misunderstanding this thing. If not, then it doesn't efficiently solve WP's problems with notifications. Pandering to the Android crowd that can't get past existing habits is justifiable, but I'd rather have something that fits in better with WP's existing notification scheme and more importantly, efficiently solves the problems WP actually has.

Unlike rockstarzz, I don't think "uniqueness" is the main requirement, but I think I understand and agree with his point. Instead of an Android clone, I would much prefer a NC to be directly targeted at what WP is still missing (automatically catch notifications for unpinned apps, toast notifications, etc). While this more "traditional" approach can solve WP's notification problems too, it appears to include a lot of functional redundancy and it doesn't appear to be as streamlined a solution as something directly targeting WP's weaknesses could have been.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
On a bigger picture this can only mean a good thing - more droids jumping the ship and changing WP to feel at home, a better home.

Just a correction here: WP is not taking users from either iOS or Android, for the most part. They are all still growing. In fact, in 2013 Android's growth over 2012 was many times the number of WP's total sales in 2013. In sheer numbers (not percentage) iOS grew roughly the same as WP. The growth for all of them is mostly coming from new smartphone users.

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My thought, honestly all features mentioned from the leaks are just too basic for what the iOS and Android can have done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss