Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

St3z

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I still cant understand why the had to make the action center a swipe down instead of a swipe from the left.

Swiping down compleeeetly contradicts the wp8 design language. Never ever has there anything to swipe down from. A beatiful google now like/notification/shortcut area could have easily added left from the home screen.

That would have made the experience so much more consistent. Now its just a boring rip-offs of how androids and ios do it for years. Feels uninspired and rushed.

Still... better this than no notificiation center

because the action centre it can be open while you are using apps, and swipe from left is already used by other apps

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
They did not use swipe right because that is the command to dismiss live tile notifications. Besides that there has been swipe from the top all the time albeit limited.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro2_217 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally for what I see, I can say that any doubts I had about leaving windows phone later this year have been mostly assuaged as I am quite impressed.

That being said I do hope this big update increases the app quality and puts us on par with the other os version of the apps

Case in point...vine on windows phone sucks and 6sec is better than vine but still has its issues. Not to mention instagram is crap.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I dont recall any app that uses swipe down or any system UI element (besides the status"bar") that featured slide down.

I also dont see why it would interfere with the notification dismiss slide

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm concern about 2 things. In the attempt to par iOS and Android in software customization and all these new features (which is good and adds more value), but, would the software performance, stability and efficiency be the major priority yet? Like being improved for hardware as we can see on WinPhone 8, or will requires more usage and hardware tweaks as we can see on Android everytime the companies add new features?

The second concern is about the free licence of a Windows Phone base software that Microsoft will release, so more companies can build from it the OS for their devices. Isn't it what Android do? Wouldn't Windows Phone be becoming an Android?

I'm worried because I don't want Windows Phone to lose the essence of efficiency and harmony with hardware.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
That's been fixed since GDR2... quite a long time ago.

are you kidding ? I'm on black, and i have 1.2 GB of others out of the 7.2 GB of my onboard storage , and that too is toned down by a lot of hard work and ingenuity on my part. Others storage cant be fixed because it is the place where wp caches your photos thumbnails, music info, artist info, album arts, live tiles, and huge number of things. They're important for the phone to run smoothly. But there is a lot of useless stuff there too (like data of apps which have been uninstalled, it does keep some old things for reasons known to extra terrestrial beings :p) which needs optimisation. I dont know whether 8.1 addresses that issue, it better do !

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Those you with other storage problems, I had to reset my phone for those to be cleaned up. It appears that the new updates don't clean up the problem if it already exists, but does keep it from happening in the future. I have not had more than 500 MB in other storage, but before resetting my phone it was around 8 GB.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Those you with other storage problems, I had to reset my phone for those to be cleaned up. It appears that the new updates don't clean up the problem if it already exists, but does keep it from happening in the future. I have not had more than 500 MB in other storage, but before resetting my phone it was around 8 GB.

oh good ! I had done a lot of searches regarding it, but you're the first person who mentioned that it doesn't recur after a hard reset. I plan to reset in a while, I'll see what it leads to. But there's one thing, it hadn't been fixed in GDR2, because my phone had got GDR2 preloaded.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe one thing they can fix in WP9...a better animation of the gears...so clunky, and the gear teeth don't line up...:winktongue:

image.jpg

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I waited for this update for so long, but now im kinda dissapointed. It's kinda too little and too late.
What about you guys?

davesannie

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I waited for this update for so long, but now im kinda dissapointed. It's kinda too little and too late.
What about you guys?

Strange thing to say, all of what would be on the update was on the Internet etc etc and now you are disappointed ? 😄

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster