07-16-2014 07:37 AM
443 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    it happens when you don't unmount your SD Card before switching off and removing it. Because of not unmounting a copy of sd Card contents for fast access by OS remains in the other storage. And on top of that another copy of the same gets created again when you insert the micro SD Card.

So nnext time unmount the micro SD Card before removing it by going into the settings.

Unfortunately the duplicate copies can't be deleted. Now you need to reset your phone to correct it.
    I've had this problem even though I never unmounted or removed my card. Just started happening. You are correct about having to reset the phone to fix it. I tried everything and that was the only thing that worked.
    04-14-2014 07:20 PM
    A cool feature for Windows Phone 8.1 would be to have quick media settings in the notification bar when you are playing music or other media.
    dov1978 likes this.
    04-14-2014 07:23 PM
    Nice job MS 95% approval from me.

If these features were released at 8.0 launch I wonder if it would have gained a bigger marketshare.
    04-14-2014 07:50 PM
    After the second set of spining gears load completely the phone restar itself and is now stuck on the black screen with the Nokia logo stays like that for like 20 secs and it restarts itself to get stuck again and again...what can I do? Can you guys help? Should I hard reset my phone? How do I do it?
    04-14-2014 08:30 PM
    I am really liking the improved cursor function. Now, instead of placing the cursor and having it move as I removed my finger from its intended location, you place it, then slide it as you do the text selector. MUCH BETTER! Thanks MS!
    txkimmers likes this.
    04-14-2014 08:46 PM
    Makes the Samsung ativ s neo 10x better. No issues during installation. Everything seems to work perfectly. Nice upgrade. Been waiting for the quiet hours integration.
    04-14-2014 08:59 PM
    Hey guys

I logged in to facebook via people hub and it f*cked up my contact list. All people have like 1 year old photos. How to turn it back on ?
    this took me a while to figure out. you have to add the app now (it's an app no longer an email and account sign up, they created a diff category).

Also, don't forget to click above contacts where it says something like (only show contacts with emails). There you'll see a check list of all your linked accounts. My guess is facebook is unchecked for you like it was for me. check it again and your fb contacts should be up to date once more.

Oh, you can also force the facebook app to sync. tap on facebook under people -> settings -> add email. you should see a button saying "sync now" hit that too. may take a couple tries.

good luck!
    04-14-2014 09:18 PM
    I love using voice-to-text but find it is only an option when sending an sms, when I am in apps like facebook and am typing, the little microphone is not there.

Am I missing something?????
    Voice to text must be implemented by the app developer.

However, it sounds like you could benefit from an app called Copy This. It's kind of a work around for implementing voice to text everywhere in the OS.
    txkimmers likes this.
    04-14-2014 09:50 PM
    Apps/Games that I've installed to class 4 SD card are working perfectly fine. So yey! :)
    04-14-2014 09:56 PM
    I think the UI on the whole has improved but I just have one problem.
    They didn't add cellular data in the quick actions in action centre. Why??:((
    04-15-2014 12:56 AM
    very good, especially action center and six tile rows

also data connection and thus push notification seems more reliable than before, although will have to test longer to be sure
    04-15-2014 01:04 AM
    Awesome, fantastic, tremendous, excellent all come to mind. Just very happy tonight with my Nok 1520's running the latest greatest WP 8.1
    Honestly I haven't been this stoked about my smartphone since I got my HD2 on T-Mo back in 2010 with WM 6.5 and before that my very first smartphone the Pocket PC Phone Edition by HTC back in 2002. Between the power of the 1520 and the spectacular HD screen together now with the WP software coming together just makes it an awesome experience. Can't wait to show my friends my phones tomorrow. Right now though I'm headed out to record video of the blood red moon tonight that is going to be fully featured here on the west coast of America.
    04-15-2014 01:20 AM
    Hi' running a 920 and managed to install Cortana by changing language etc and love ❤ the extra small tiles. Noticed a drainage in battery and dropped from 89% to 26% after a glance update,switch a few things off and restarted and the battery jumped back upto 86%
    04-15-2014 01:30 AM
    It's almost as good as I expected it to be but some of the changes and design decisions made in 8.1 are seriously bugging me and actually detracting from all the positives.

Games now show in the app list
    Who thought this was a good idea? This is so dumb and backwards thinking I can't believe this would be intentional.

System tray icons don't auto-hide
    Should be an option. Again we're going backwards.

New Photo Hub
    Big visual downgrade here. No easy access to 3rd party editing apps.

Music hub
    No comment.

Removed Facebook and Twitter functions in Me and People hubs
    It's just never good to remove features.

Then there's things that were removed/screwed with for no good reason:

No more carousel effect when pinching out in gallery
    A great feature that made browsing through the gallery smooth and easy. Gone.

Different charging sound/chime
    Not sure if this is a mistake or a dumb decision. It used alert #3 before which sounded much more pleasing. The sound that it makes now is like a barely noticeable error message.

Press/hold to activate cursor when editing text removed
    Not a big deal but I liked the old way better.

Installing an app from the Store no longer takes you to the app list
    This was a nice touch in that it would show you where you could find the app being installed. Now it does nothing and you have to exit the store and hunt for the app in the app list.

Volume Up+Power to take a screenshot instead of Power+Start button
    Changed because of devices with on screen buttons. Not a big deal but it's still annoying. They still could've kept it.

New animations
    Some of the new animations are kind of weird/wonky and not as elegant or smooth as in 8.0. The springy bounce effect when you reach the top and end of the start screen is very weak now and they took out the nice animation from the task switcher when you tapped a X to close an app.

Everything else seems great and promising (Action Center, Cortana, keyboard shape writing, background tile customization, new Store features, apps on the sd card, new options in settings). It's the stuff that was changed or removed that has me feeling disheartened and disappointed. Hopefully most of these issues will get fixed/polished in time but right now I'm missing a lot of the nice little touches and the overall WP feeling that I liked in 8.0.
    04-15-2014 01:58 AM
    It's almost as good as I expected it to be but some of the changes and design decisions made in 8.1 are seriously bugging me and actually detracting from all the positives.
    Just wanted to ask, what do you mean by system tray icons? I thought this is only for desktop? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yap the FB Integration is surely missed, Photohub, why do you have to change it to this lame, boring looking layout? MS don't change everything!

Will all said and done, the biggest thing here is Cortana. I don't mind the notification center/action center.

Games now show in the app list
    Who thought this was a good idea? This is so dumb and backwards thinking I can't believe this would be intentional.

System tray icons don't auto-hide
    Should be an option. Again we're going backwards.

New Photo Hub
    Big visual downgrade here. No easy access to 3rd party editing apps.

Music hub
    No comment.

Removed Facebook and Twitter functions in Me and People hubs
    It's just never good to remove features.

Then there's things that were removed/screwed with for no good reason:

No more carousel effect when pinching out in gallery
    A great feature that made browsing through the gallery smooth and easy. Gone.

Different charging sound/chime
    Not sure if this is a mistake or a dumb decision. It used alert #3 before which sounded much more pleasing. The sound that it makes now is like a barely noticeable error message.

Press/hold to activate cursor when editing text removed
    Not a big deal but I liked the old way better.

Installing an app from the Store no longer takes you to the app list
    This was a nice touch in that it would show you where you could find the app being installed. Now it does nothing and you have to exit the store and hunt for the app in the app list.

Volume Up+Power to take a screenshot instead of Power+Start button
    Changed because of devices with on screen buttons. Not a big deal but it's still annoying. They still could've kept it.

New animations
    Some of the new animations are kind of weird/wonky and not as elegant or smooth as in 8.0. The springy bounce effect when you reach the top and end of the start screen is very weak now and they took out the nice animation from the task switcher when you tapped a X to close an app.

Everything else seems great and promising (Action Center, Cortana, keyboard shape writing, background tile customization, new Store features, apps on the sd card, new options in settings). It's the stuff that was changed or removed that has me feeling disheartened and disappointed. Hopefully most of these issues will get fixed/polished in time but right now I'm missing a lot of the nice little touches and the overall WP feeling that I liked in 8.0.
    04-15-2014 02:10 AM
    Awesome, Loving it!!!
    m3kk likes this.
    04-15-2014 03:06 AM
    Awesome, Loving it!!!
    I agree with this post
    04-15-2014 03:09 AM
    I hate the new photo gallery and music app - they should return the old ones.
    I miss the agenda view from the calendar.
    They should separate reminders and quiet hours from Cortana.
    They should upgrade emojis even more.
    And video streaming/playing has a bug, there's a sound when I skip/forward.
    04-15-2014 03:29 AM
    I can't specify exactly what I feel, for some parts I'm impressed and excited and for others disappointed and frustrated by a lack of completion. I think the major functionality changes for me have left me feeling divided on some of the choices.

General use
    What I like - My God the UI is snappy and fast and I mean more so than it was before. The transitions have been improved to create an even more slick environment. This even seems to have introduced gapless play back on Spotify, which is pretty great. Even the boot time is faster.
    What I don't like - I can only assume this is due to a lack of spit and polish by some HTC firmware but my 8X battery is worse than ever since updating, and it wasn't all that before hand.

Notification centre
    What I like - Although the live tiles are great for a quick peak the additional context to alerts in the notifications is fantastic. The quick actions are a fantastic addition and allow me to remove a bunch of apps I used for similar functions.
    What I don't like - There are a number of quick actions missing e.g flash light, data and only have 4 is not enough, this should be set to 5 regardless of screen size. Also the kind of quick actions only version is tricky to pull out and in my opinion ultimately pointless because it's frustrating to get to.

Me tile/people
    What I like - Microsoft finally admitted the Facebook integration was not up to snuff and tied it into a separate app so we now get pictures.
    What I don't like - Where's Twitter? I assume we need a new Twitter app for the integration. Commenting on statuses now takes a lot longer as you now have to wait for the app to boot.

VPN
    What I like - VPN functionality
    What I don't - No PPTP, no L2TP/IPSec. So for me the function is useless.

Live tiles
    What I like - I love the new live tiles with a photo, it's a shame there aren't more tiles that support it. Microsoft have also finally removed that random bit of unused space at the top of screen which has always annoyed me.
    What I don't like - What's happened tot he Games live tile with my Avatar? I miss that guy.
    04-15-2014 03:40 AM
    The Music app is getting an update/overhaul. How do I know?
    1 The WP8 Xbox Music and Xbox Videos app had a classic UI. The Videos app and (basically everything) got an update but the music app.
    2 secondly, look at the Xbox Music app as seen here;
    Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana | Windows Phone (United States)
    It resembles the current video and games app but not the Music app.

Finally, Joe Belfiore said so on twitter, along with Facebook, Skype and Twitter getting updates for 8.1. I think that should have been the first one though.
    04-15-2014 03:43 AM
    The Music app is getting an update/overhaul. How do I know?
    1 The WP8 Xbox Music and Xbox Videos app had a classic UI. The Videos app and (basically everything) got an update but the music app.
    2 secondly, look at the Xbox Music app as seen here;
    Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana | Windows Phone (United States)
    It resembles the current video and games app but not the Music app.

Finally, Joe Belfiore said so on twitter, along with Facebook, Skype and Twitter getting updates for 8.1. I think that should have been the first one though.
    it better get updated with all the basic stuff, especially cache of song lists and data (to prevent the myriad 'loading...' in place of artist names etc), and with bigger playback buttons, and faster resuming, live tiles showing artist images, editable artist images (let it be via mpatool as before) and new and recent songs areas. Wow that's a huge step backward from ms !
    04-15-2014 03:55 AM
    it better get updated with all the basic stuff, especially cache of song lists and data (to prevent the myriad 'loading...' in place of artist names etc), and with bigger playback buttons, and faster resuming, live tiles showing artist images, editable artist images (let it be via mpatool as before) and new and recent songs areas. Wow that's a huge step backward from ms !
    If it doesn't....I'll throw something.
    04-15-2014 04:10 AM
    So far I am quite happy with the update, although running on my "old" 920 that never had great battery life.

I love the "Quiet Hours" feature, which I think was really missing before. Isn't there though an easier way to access it? No pinning on home screen for example?
    04-15-2014 04:22 AM
    I love new features, but now sometimes screen feels kind of clogged with icons and signs. Also I like animations from WP8 much more compared to 8.1, they just felt more elegant and stylish. So in the end my complaints boil down to the changes in UI, I think it could have been implemented in a better way, for a start they just could have left old animations.
    Oh almost forgot! OS doesn't seems as snappy now as is it used to be on my Lumia 925. I see stutters quite often. Hope it's going to be fixed in the final 8.1 update from Nokia.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    04-15-2014 04:25 AM
    I just add the quiet hours icon to the action center for quick access. Is it possible to have quiet hours on and still have the alarms work? Haven't seen that option yet. Maybe I missed it.
    04-15-2014 06:51 AM
443 ... 1213141516 ...