Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
'Better backup functionality' - I really hope this does a full backup/restore including tile sizes/custom start screen layout.

'File Picker' - I guess we can finally attach documents to emails (yea...i know about how i can go to office hub and share it from there but this is time saving and you can reply to an email with an attachment).

Video scrubber, action center, separate volume control, quick tap to silence, search button tap disable, swipe down to close app, IE tabs shows up as separate app in the multi-task window = awesome!

Really looking forward to BUILD.

Manu Tyagi

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
So what about people hub, would it be any different ?? or do we have to say goodbye to one location update checking ??

:shocked: :shocked:

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Please fix the camera issue! I bought a windows phone because of its camera! 920's camera results are yellowish and blurry! Fix the efin camera algorithm! That would be the most innovative update of 8.1!

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My only concern right now is whether they will make this update available with 512MB devices.

I do have plan to buy new phone on April or May, but would love to keep the 620 around with WP 8.1, cause then I can buy non-WP device as my new phone.

But I don't see the point to keeping the 620 if it's not updated to 8.1

Sent using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What would be interesting though is that if someone crosses off these 36-38 leaked features from the Uservoice and see how many of the "top" requested features are ticked this time?!

rahilsayed

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
What would be interesting though is that if someone crosses off these 36-38 leaked features from the Uservoice and see how many of the "top" requested features are ticked this time?!

Massacre from my side if "Uservoice features" aren't kept in final release because its totally awesome and must haves :D

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I want nicer icons, thats it.
I want them too, but still in this reduced form as tiles with a simplistic icon. That's what the modern design language benefits from, how it makes theming possible, and how it's making the fast recognition of apps/tiles possible while scroling vertically through one page.

Also IMO the conditions for publishing an app should say that a simplistic, background-transparent icon used for theming as well as a static tile is a must.

The theming with colours can also come in handy to categorise your apps/tiles, so I would very appreciate multiple theme colour categories to even better organise/individualise my start screen experience.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My only concern right now is whether they will make this update available with 512MB devices.
A few weeks back I did sales promotion for Lumia devices in o2 Shops here in Germany. At the kick-off meeting in Ratingen they told us that every WP8 Lumia device will get WP8.1.

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
A few weeks back I did sales promotion for Lumia devices in o2 Shops here in Germany. At the kick-off meeting in Ratingen they told us that every WP8 Lumia device will get WP8.1.

That's reassuring, thanks.
I'll make sure to also write thank you note to Nadella if that's indeed the case.

---

I'm glad that with WP8.1 Microsoft seems to catch up.

Also hoped for WP8.1 will bring along new innovative feature that no other phones have but not something gimmicky like some Android phones,
but I guess maybe we'll have to wait for WP9 for that, there's no way something absolutely amazing will come in just over a year while also catching up.

Sent using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Massacre from my side if "Uservoice features" aren't kept in final release because its totally awesome and must haves :D

Some of these are top features from uservoice but it certainly isn't going to include all features. I am on uservoice now to check what's been already included and what's left out for GDRs

Also hoped for WP8.1 will bring along new innovative feature that no other phones have ......
Sent using Tapatalk

How about a desktop operating system that runs on a phone?

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am very excited about the update, especially as this hopefully will broaden the user base of WPs.

Slide down to close apps is something I was really hoping for, coming from webOS ;)

I am not sure how the on-screen navigation bar will change manufacturers behaviour; hoping for top notch devices still with capacitive buttons to choose from in the future.

USB support is great!

Updated camera layout is not that beautiful, but could come in useful.

Back button without app termination functionality is not something I had hoped for, but will be more logical for new users!

A more dedicated OneDrive file browser is really nice to have.

App filtering will be truly helpful!

In which way the more efficient multitasking will surface ...? I have seen the IE tabs task screen separation in the video, but I am not sure how other apps will take use of this.

Better backup functionality will hopefully include start screen setup and things!

Install apps on SD card
: check :smile:
Seperate volume controls: check :confused:
Bing smart search: HOORAAAAY!!! :grin:
Feature to mirror phone's screen: nice :love:
Quick settings access, action centre, silent notifications, mark a Live Tile as read: :kiss: @MSFT!

What i am hoping for the improved keyboard:
More typographic details (some special characters are missing if you are a typographic enthusiast or simply want to write truly readable texts.
A tab key.

EDIT:
And if the new smallest resolution isn't useful for wearables, ...? :wink:

Sunil Pathak

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Grid menu would be nice addition. This current list view is dull and kills the initial feel of live tiles.

and apart from plain background ( light,dark) an option to put your own image would be great.

and most importantly its my phone i should have liberty to decide where i want to save/install my apps and game ( read phone mem or sd card)

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Initial thought = blown out of my mind.

Before the leaks came, I was expecting something awesome from the windows phone division. Judging from the amount of secrecy, I was expecting something awesome. But little did I know that what it actually turned out blew my mind to infinity and beyond. I mean, this really shows that they ARE really listening to the people's request and taking the time to craft it and to implement it. Can't wait for April 2nd, as I expect my mind to be blown over again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion