Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This update feels like what WP8 should have been out of the gate. I am excited to see the update and see how it works in practice. There are only a few features that we are missing to be in par with the other OS's.

Now MS needs to find the features that separate WP from the pack. Cortana, imaging, etc need to be what gives WP the ability to win some market share.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think it's great, and that it's finally granting those features that some in our community have been longing for, that said can't wait for the dev preview which may be released sooner since all these leaks are dropping.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This update feels like what WP8 should have been out of the gate. I am excited to see the update and see how it works in practice. There are only a few features that we are missing to be in par with the other OS's.

Now MS needs to find the features that separate WP from the pack. Cortana, imaging, etc need to be what gives WP the ability to win some market share.
This x1000.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Super fired up for Notification Center, Action Center (whatever it is), Cortana (keep the name!) just for the wow factor, standalone Podcast app (Yissss), separate volume controls and the file browser.

Very curious about the enhanced keyboard (Swype-like?), audio/video transcoding (MKV,Flac?), YouTube (open links in app?), Xbox Music (functioning playlists? better metadata mgmt? better syncing? music locker? gapless playback?) and Geofencing. Some of these things could be real difference makers.

Disappointed not to see CalDAV/CardDAV/LDAP/WebDAV support mentioned. Sounds like VPN might be too limited to be useful in a corporate setting. Feels like they are moving away form the Hub concept which is a bit of a bummer. No color wheel for theme colors. No background styles like in W8. No photo backgrounds. No word on making live tiles more reliable.

Sounds like there's some talk of making apps cross-platform from W8 to WP8 with the HTML/Javascript/Universal App functionality, but it will be interesting to see what that does to app quality and consistency.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
All of these features are great, 8.1 needs 1 more thing though! Other storage needs to be fixed! And before you go replying "oh well its already fixed..." NO IT'S NOT, I'm at 7 gb right now and that is not acceptable! and I have already had to hard reset it because it got over 15 gb (THAT'S POST UPDATE 3)

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
All of these features are great, 8.1 needs 1 more thing though! Other storage needs to be fixed! And before you go replying "oh well its already fixed..." NO IT'S NOT, I'm at 7 gb right now and that is not acceptable! and I have already had to hard reset it because it got over 15 gb (THAT'S POST UPDATE 3)

You've probably got a badly written app installed, having issues with SkyDrive and/or are doing a ton of drag and drop from a PC. This is probably always going to be an issue, but MS needs to give better insight into what's being stored there so you can troubleshoot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb