Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

MillerWDJr

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So, I definitely think they did a great job of refining the OS, but I'm concerned that they've overlooked some key problems and instead decided they were going to focus on things that just add more new, shiny paint to flaws. After about a month with my Lumia, I came up with a list of missing features or OS omissions and wrote an extensive letter on Microsoft Answers (Open letter to Microsoft regarding Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 - Microsoft Community) hoping that some of the problems would be addressed. A year and a half later, little to none have been addressed. My list still includes things like:
1. No "cut" or "select all" function
2. No "undo" or "redo" functions
3. Glitchy text selection
4. No "forward" function for browsing
5. Back, forward, reload, and stop charms should be dedicated browser functions
6. Back button in WP8 should always perform the same function, inconsistent, cumbersome use when trying to leave certain places like IE or Angry Birds
7. No audio output selection when connected to Bluetooth
8. E-mail syncing issue, won't sync without PUSH or by pressing "Sync" button
9. E-mail doesn't allow for changing reply-from address
10. E-mail doesn't auto-select appropriate "reply-from" e-mail when available
11. Message thread reopens when selecting notification banner, duplicate message windows can be opened
12. No "top of page" button
13. Status bar isn't reserved consistently, shouldn't hide
14. No compass, stopwatch, timer, or sound recorder
15. Can't hold caps button when typing
16. No complete suite to sync music and pictures from computer to phone, vice versa
17. Music information doesn't transfer/render properly from computer to phone
18. No global search
19. No picture password unlock
20. Drafts folder doesn't sync
21. Mail search restricted to only looking in folders
22. Audio output in MyFord Touch through USB doesn't occur
23. Scrolling is too slow, inertial scrolling should be faster
24. Skype nor Outlook/Windows Live messaging not integrated into messaging hub. Should be Microsoft's reply to iMessage.

Granted, some of these are small fixes, and some may certainly be fixed after BUILD, but the media management on WP8 is rather terrible. iPhone has this wonderful infrastructure in iTunes, while WP has a hacked-together desktop app that half the time adds songs I don't want, not to mention for whatever reason almost always failing to render album art (despite my ensuring that the album artwork is embedded in the MP3s), resulting in a drab gray lock screen every time I'm listening to music.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but before you paint a car, you need to get rid of the imperfections in the body, and I feel like Microsoft is still leaving a lot of dings and dents unadressed.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Remove from OS like a rollback...
that's a unique feature of WP...

I'm more inclined to believe that Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Sina Weibo integration has just changed to how Skype integration works, a separate app that can hook into the OS i.e. Skype calls through the calling UI.

Nibin Yohannan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yahooo !! At last Microsoft has given some importance to the views of the critics & the users.....i assure u guys, windows 8.1 will b an epic upgrade to the windows platform.

Last edited:

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
no, just no, seriously go to android if you want to change the menus every day

Adding more customizations to WP does not make it Android, geez. So you can customize your Windows 8 device, does that mean it is exactly like Android? If anything, Windows is more and should be more customizable than Android and iOS.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Any word on some new accent colors? :/ 95% of these are dreadfull..
I agree. 90% of the accent colours are way too saturated and has way too much contrast. It's literally painful in the eyes sometimes. I think there shouldn't be any accent themes, so each tiles can get their own designs and colours. And I want the tiles to have gradient too.

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
8.1 might finally be good enough to get me off this iphone once and for all. I have a nokia620,surface rt,PC and would love to switch to a 1520 or maybe even the next gen 8.1 devices.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree. 90% of the accent colours are way too saturated and has way too much contrast. It's literally painful in the eyes sometimes. I think there shouldn't be any accent themes, so each tiles can get their own designs and colours. And I want the tiles to have gradient too.

I felt the same about oversaturation when I owned an AMOLED phone. Now with the LCD screen of my 8X some of the colors feel washed out. I think it's not only the color selection but also how they are displayed. What of course means that I agree, there should be more selections available.

For a general judgement, I'll wait and see. I don't care too much about leaks and rumors, let's see how the OS performs on a phone.

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
15. Can't hold caps button when typing

What the heck are you saying? ;) Did you ever try holding SHIFT button pressed? There are so many shortcuts in the keyboard that I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of us don't know them (double space do punctuation, pressing . opens many punctuation, etc.)

MillerWDJr

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What the heck are you saying? ;) Did you ever try holding SHIFT button pressed? There are so many shortcuts in the keyboard that I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of us don't know them (double space do punctuation, pressing . opens many punctuation, etc.)

So, I get this a lot. I type a lot of acronyms, and I got very used to being able to hold down the SHIFT button (with the left thumb) and typing the letters I needed to with the right thumb when I had my iPhone. The behavior of the SHIFT key on WP8 should mimic that of any keyboard. For example, on a PC or Mac, when the SHIFT key is held down, all of the letters types while that key is held down are capitalized. But on WP8 (and Android), even if you hold the SHIFT key down, it will only capitalize the first letter you type. Yes, I realize that you can double-tap the SHIFT button to turn the CAPS LOCK on, but that's a different functionality.

Manu Tyagi

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
So, I get this a lot. I type a lot of acronyms, and I got very used to being able to hold down the SHIFT button (with the left thumb) and typing the letters I needed to with the right thumb when I had my iPhone. The behavior of the SHIFT key on WP8 should mimic that of any keyboard. For example, on a PC or Mac, when the SHIFT key is held down, all of the letters types while that key is held down are capitalized. But on WP8 (and Android), even if you hold the SHIFT key down, it will only capitalize the first letter you type. Yes, I realize that you can double-tap the SHIFT button to turn the CAPS LOCK on, but that's a different functionality.

so what's the difference I like to use my left thumb to type than to keep pressing shift key. the key just need to be pressed for 2 secs and voila caps is on..and just one more touch and its off..i do a lot of typing on my 820, and really love this simple WP8 keyboard easy and swift..but its just personal choice..

rikipy

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
From recent leak, this is a feature the password reminder
7LDOy13.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05