Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

Pete Almanza

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a few questions, not sure if they've already been asked and answered, but anyways:

When I press the Back button in 8.1, it has been said that the apps will not be closed, but "suspended". Is that the "multitasking view" that also has been mentioned? I basically press back in the app and I see everything I have open and can switch to another app or swipe to close?

What about the notification for a charger that isn't adequate? Does that mean the phone will let you know that charger needs to have a higher charge output to work with your phone? Buy/find a better one?

Any revamping of the dialing a number/talking screen, concerning the UI?

Are Battery, Data, and WiFi Sense coming with the update or dictated by the carrier. And for the case of AT&T, will Data Sense now be included since we didn't get it in previous updates?

Since once included system apps like Music + Video are being broken up into XBOX Music and XBOX Video, respectively, will other apps be separated to allow for easier updating i.e. Internet Explorer, Store, Photos, etc.?

Thanks guys, really excited about all that's been developing and leaked.

Pete Almanza

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but everyone is talking about the Microsoft update, beside this what Nokia will give us in this update? There ir any News?

With the Device and Service acquisition happening very soon, I doubt there will be updates pushed out in the usual sense. Remember now that the Nokia developers are going over to Microsoft to work. Any news of future updates are just speculation for the time being.

dutt way1

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
My only concern and hope that all these new features are optimized for battery performance ^ ^ hopefully the powerdraw of suspended apps, more background tasks/options doesnt kill the battery life. Anyone else have the same concern as me?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My only concern and hope that all these new features are optimized for battery performance ^ ^ hopefully the powerdraw of suspended apps, more background tasks/options doesnt kill the battery life. Anyone else have the same concern as me?

Nope, Zero. Makes no sense either, as suspended apps require no resources except RAM, which must be powered regardless. You could suspend 300 apps, it would make no difference as far as battery life is concerned.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
MS took their time and is sending out a massive update to our Lumias. On paper it seems promising enough, I can only hope with the current buzz in the air about Windows Phone, This year should be pretty ripe for Windows Phone.
Let us see if we can cross the 10% global market barrier :D

fendetto

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
most of the swipe remind me nokia n9 which is great.. n9 with lumia will be good ..thats just my thought..
the lack of n9 is old browser system.. the notification and else look nice.. hope on win 8.1 the features there..

Wp8 lvr

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Please help..
i got email of onedrive extra storage from ms.
but when i click on link it asks for redeem code..
but what is redeem code?
can any1 tell me?
Please send me a message..

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It looks promising but I hope the annoyances are fixed.

1. Status display - currently it only displays time permanently. It auto-hides signal bar, other status like battery life etc. Hopefully there is an option to put those permanently or auto-hide.
2. Email app - It has a display bug. Live tile displays 3 new mails but when you tap on it and read only one. When you get back to start screen the email count is 0 and not 2.
3. IE resume - Right now honestly IE in WP7 is superior. Try it. Open another tab in WP7 switch back to the other and its fast. WP8 re-loads every page under each tabs when you switch to it. This has to be fixed. IE should have an option to run in the background so fast resume can happen.
4. You cannot edit a number in the phone - let's say somebody texted you a number and you can choose call but if you have to edit that number to include "+" or country code. This is true to numbers not in your contact list. In Blackberry you could do this.
5. You cannot turn off mobile connections selectively - We should be able to turn off mobile and 3G. Or this can be done today?

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
When I press the Back button in 8.1, it has been said that the apps will not be closed, but "suspended". Is that the "multitasking view" that also has been mentioned? I basically press back in the app and I see everything I have open and can switch to another app or swipe to close?

They're going the Android way by my guess. Back button goes to the previous screens within an app, then suspends the app in the background when there's no more previous screens to go to.
That also means back button doesn't take you any further than start screen. In WP8 it goes past the start screen and keeps terminating every suspended app in the background till there's nothing left; which is annoying.
And of course you can press and hold back to enter multitasking.

ravi72munde

May 13, 2013
Visit site
You know what'd be a great troll. On 2nd April Microsoft says "Guys we were just kidding about these features, Windows phone 8.1 is just a bug fixer. "

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99