Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Simply awesome!!!,i am from india mumbai
i updated my lumia 720 and recovered nearly 3gb of other memory.i am also able to transfer my downloaded games to my 32gb san disk memory card and the card is class 4 type and therefore no class 6 or class 10 memory cards are required.

wow that's cool (last line). And btw, are you facing any performance issues as aeschylus mentioned on his 520 ? (520 and 720 have same processor and ram).
And also elaborate how exactly was that others recovered ? I have 1.1 gb others, and do you mean to say that when i update, it would clear out to a large extent ?

Yannie Boy

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely hate the Facebook deintegration. Want to comment on something on your feed for Facebook? Have to open the app. Why even show the [+]? Want to comment on something that you posted in your Me Hub? Have to open the App. Want to post an update to Facebook? Have to open the app. Want to upload a picture to Facebook? Have to open the app. Everything that was streamlined requires an extra step in regards to Facebook. I understood the changes coming to the messenger to match the changes to other platforms, but this is pushing it. Also no longer able to post updates to all accounts at once or Share pictures to other apps (6tag for instance, you have to open the app to do that). Some nice tweaks here and there but some pointless changes.

JoeyIsACoolKid

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 822 8.1 Update Question?

I already signed up for the developer program and can get the update. But I have a Lumia 822, and it's not a locked phone. I use it a lot. But I want to try 8.1, but unsure about the risk. I heard it voids my variety, and I still have it until December. Is it safe? Should I?

Koko GIno

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I can't find the InPrivate browsing mode in IE.
Can someone verify whether its actually present?
If Yes, how do I get to it?

In explorer, click the tab button in the address bar. Don't click the plus to add a new tab, but click the 3 dots and the option should come up. The private tabs show "in-private" in the address bar.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I love using voice-to-text but find it is only an option when sending an sms, when I am in apps like facebook and am typing, the little microphone is not there.

Am I missing something?????

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely hate the Facebook deintegration. Want to comment on something on your feed for Facebook? Have to open the app. Why even show the [+]? Want to comment on something that you posted in your Me Hub? Have to open the App. Want to post an update to Facebook? Have to open the app. Want to upload a picture to Facebook? Have to open the app. Everything that was streamlined requires an extra step in regards to Facebook. I understood the changes coming to the messenger to match the changes to other platforms, but this is pushing it. Also no longer able to post updates to all accounts at once or Share pictures to other apps (6tag for instance, you have to open the app to do that). Some nice tweaks here and there but some pointless changes.

Ugh, I totally agree.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The music is ... well... terribad. Just awful. You can't swipe to change songs, which was fantastic when trying to change songs in the car without looking. Also - it CONSTANTLY says "loading" for song names, artists, etc. This is just as bad as the beta music app we got months ago. Have they not figured out how to cache this stuff?? I'd rather go back to the outdated version in WP8 than have to use this thing.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay can the WPCentral staff please stop moving threads created in this forum to the obscure "Preview for Developers" forum? No one is going to read it there!

My question was, what should be the optimized dimensions for a picture that you set as a background on the Start Screen tiles? I'm putting in a picture but it's coming out blurry on the Start Screen.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 822 8.1 Update Question?

I already signed up for the developer program and can get the update. But I have a Lumia 822, and it's not a locked phone. I use it a lot. But I want to try 8.1, but unsure about the risk. I heard it voids my variety, and I still have it until December. Is it safe? Should I?

It's as safe as upgrading a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 8. More so, in fact. There's a very, very, very small chance your phone might not be well optimised to the new OS version, but its certainly not going to stop your phone working altogether.

prelude20Si

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I have an 822 as well and have done this preview update as well as the previous one. So far so good on my 822.

Kinez

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Is there a way to turn off all sounds with one click, like the toogle in upper left corner of music slide down screen in WP8? No way they removed functionality..... right?

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys

I logged in to facebook via people hub and it f*cked up my contact list. All people have like 1 year old photos. How to turn it back on ?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Good - Bad 1:2
I want to upload pictures to OneDrive app. I don't have any way to do so, even from the app. No Data connection for Notification center. Also Was hoping MS will open libraries, still locked

How do you switch between 2g 3g LTE I need for 928 on T-Mobile (SMS)

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Well the update makes the phone feel like a new one! so that's cool, but I think there's alot of work to do still. Office wasn't updated and Xbox music is the worse thing created on the planet but yeah I'm very happy everything just works. Only bad thing and this is personal, lol my microphone is broken 😐 so I cant talk to Cortana! I think things for windows phone will be alot smoother now that we have a new CEO and the fact that apps cam be updated through the store now.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't find the InPrivate browsing mode in IE.
Can someone verify whether its actually present?
If Yes, how do I get to it?

think someone has already replied to this but you do the following:

open IE
click the new tabs icon beside the address bar
click the three dots at the bottom right
select "new inprivate tab"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb