Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
1. Who cares about Facebook anymore? Maybe they are seeing a future in which Facebook finally loses its dirty grip on our lives.

2. I'm loving 8.1! The slide typing is just pure brilliance!

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
All my games are in the app list since 8.1, in the Xbox games app there isn't any game, is this for everyone the same?

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk

Graham Musk

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else not get notifications from Facebook about who like your posts/comments/photos? The old style used to tell me someone had liked something but I could use the app to see exactly who. Now are we not supposed to get this notification our is it just me?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else not get notifications from Facebook about who like your posts/comments/photos? The old style used to tell me someone had liked something but I could use the app to see exactly who. Now are we not supposed to get this notification our is it just me?

It's just you...go into Facebook and check settings. Mine works exactly the same as it did before 8.1. I get all the same notifications.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Anybody faces lock screen issue? Sometimes I can't lock the screen by pressing the power button. The same happen when unlocking. It happen quite often. When it happens, I need to long press the camera button to start the camera to unlock the phone.

Ngoc NT1

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
my phone got stuck after doing some plug and unplug USB connection.
my desktop is windows 8.1.
i could not turn off screen with power button, i had to reset phone to get it work again,
this issue happened several times to my phone. (Nokia Lumia 1020 with windows phone 8.1 developer preview)

anyone knows where to report bug?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
As many other people have said, the games in the app list is dumb. Especially when all the apps are in alphabetical order. We don't have icons like ios and android so we needed it to be seperate.

Pesky101

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, like the update, just one problem so far, can't access the "Find My Phone" menu anymore, anyone else have the same problem?

Startswithaj

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that my phone seems much more laggy than it did before. With WP8 the OS seemed fluid and I rarely had crashing/slow opening apps. For example, every time I try to open Podcasts it takes forever and half the time I have to reopen it repeatedly. I love that I can now add episodes to my queue, don't love that it's sometimes a struggle to open the app or navigate inside the app once it's open.

I'm not sure if it's because this is the dev preview or because I have a low end phone(Lumia 521).

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed some lag as well when I return to the start screen. Also, yesterday, I experienced the fluorescent/negative color bug for the first time.

lexus232

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure final release of 8.1 from Nokia will be better optimized than dev preview, but the question is how long we are going to wait before it gets released?

21hertz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Enterprise WiFi still not good.

According to Microsoft officials EAP-method TTLS+PAP is available for WP 8.1 (Enterprise Wi-Fi authentication (EAP)).
But it still does not work. Users have been waiting since Windows Phone 7 for this feature.

If you choose EAP-method TTLS in the WiFi-settings on your WP8.1-phone - it will still ask the RADIUS-servers for MSCHAP-challange/response. And there is no way to change it to PAP in the WiFi-settings.

This means that a couple of hundred thousands users (students, teachers and professors and alike) world wide - still can't use eduroam WiFi with their Windows Phones where TTLS+PAP is used.

All (!) the other modern platforms supports this: including Android, IOS, MacOSX, Windows 8/8.1, Windows RT, Google Chrome OS, Blackberry, Linux and even Kindle!
But NOT Windows Phone.... Why? And when (if ever) will this be fixed?

:eck:

abhishek247

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a query. If I will install the dev preview of 8.1, will I be able to receive the official update from of Nokia Lumia. Please someone reply. Thanks!

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Something that WP8.1 did not fix....... random reboots of my L920.... just happened again while the phone was simply lying on my desk: shuts down and reboots by itself without me touching it.

It's only the 1st time since I installed WP8.1, but that's 1 time too often already (to WP's defense it's probably my Lumia that's defective but unfortunately Nokia never wanted to acknowledge this and now the guaranty period has expired...)

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I hate it or love it. Its good that WP is moving forward but some iterations are aping Android and iOS which I don't like. WP is trying to strip some of its native functions so that it can become ore app centric. Even games has been listed in the app list -- this is a move to ape iOS and Android so users will start to use Folders to their start screen. The notification center is good but it looks like the competition. The guy from Pocketnow - Adam.... can;t remember his last name, was correct. All notifications should be in my "Me" Tile. I'm not telling MS to bring other features from Android or iOS but please don't ape it implement it in a different way. The Photohub update is really frustrating. Before I can see my friend's new pictures without opening FB. I don't know MS is giving too much with user's request. WP should be different not similar. Anyway, its still "Preview" so hopefully they eventually fix it. The real kicker is Cortana. Hopefully she becomes the digital assistant that we all hoped for.

Will Van Gelderen1

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Love the update so far, just not a fan of the removal of some the Facebook integration. I loved being able to use the message app to combine texts and facebook chats, why did they remove that feature. Having to switch between the message app and the new facebook messenger app seems to go against everything that made Windows Phone. Seems like with the update, they forgot that hubs were a selling point instead of being app centric

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss