Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For me I don't my lumia 820 greenish tinge problems disappeared with this update.camera app by Microsoft takes better pictures compared to Nokia camera. Can anyone confirm.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
The calendar improved greatly, but I don't seem to be able to find birthdays from my contacts in there, forcing me to use a 3rd party app for the reminders of birthdays..

All my contacts are saved on my corporate account and I don't want to sync with either outlook.com or gmail or any other service...

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Ability to move and install app to sd card alone makes it a winner. Now I have some space available on my 1520. Games seem to run at near regular speed after they're put on sd card. Great update. Actually, I'd even consider this to be a near wp9 update.

lexus232

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The calendar improved greatly, but I don't seem to be able to find birthdays from my contacts in there, forcing me to use a 3rd party app for the reminders of birthdays..

All my contacts are saved on my corporate account and I don't want to sync with either outlook.com or gmail or any other service...

Go into calendar/ settings/ and choose to show birthdays of your contacts in there.

AshBak

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Installed WP8.1 DP as soon as it released and found it wonderful for a while. However, the more I use it, the more problems I find. Some of them are listed below:

1. Phone restarts itself, several times a day, without any apparent reason. I had this problem earlier, but GDR3 corrected it. Now it's back again. (My app list is the same as what it was before 8.1, so none of the apps are causing this)
2. Proximity sensor stops working frequently, and I have to restart the device to make it start working again. As in point 1, I had this problem earlier too, but GDR3 corrected it. Now it's back again.
3. I do some heavy work for like a minute, and then I go back to the start screen to find that the icons on the tiles are missing. It 2-3 seconds for them to appear again (as if they are refreshing).
4. Icons on the app list disappear frequently and take a second or two to reappear.
5. Photo hub is slow now. It always takes a second or two to load my albums (feels like I'm using a website, that takes a moment to download a page - doesn't feel like I'm accessing a local gallery). This was never an issue before WP8.1.
6. Updated XBox music is poor. It keeps on loading my collection endlessly. The experience seems so .. "restless". It feels as if I'm accessing music on the internet and not my locally stored collection. 3rd party apps no more show up in the music app. This music experience is way poorer that what we had on WP8. Video app isn't good either.
7. Phone hangs up a lot.
8. Cortana has suddenly started crashing. It now crashes, every single time, within a few seconds of starting.
9. My phone lies with a blank black screen as I write this. It's unresponsive and only a soft reset will get it to restart. I've already done a soft reset at least 5 times and a hard reset twice, since April 14, 2014.
10. Phone takes forever to restart.

I'm an avid fan of WP, and I know this is only a developer's preview, but what scares me is that it's the "almost final" release of WP8.1. I just hope Microsoft realizes these issues and irons all glitches out, and MS and Nokia bring out the remaining portion of the update soon. But it'll seem to be a long long wait, even longer and more tiring that my initial wait for WP8.1, 'coz for now, I'm stuck with this piece of BS. :unhappy:

lexus232

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
After 3 days of usage this developer preview left me feeling sad. Multitasking sucks, apps freeze and resume all the time, IE tabs don't hang in memory for long, contrary to wp8 when I could leave 3 open tabs in the morning and then still open them without reloading in the evening. They just remained stored in RAM throughout the day. Now it doesn't even keep a single tab stored in RAM, for example after 5min of working with onenote and translator I come back to IE and it has to reload that single tab. WTF? Same goes for podcasts app and many others... It just feels that my Lumia 925 now has 512mb of RAM instead of 1gb, and I know what I am talking about because I owned Lumia 620 with 512mb before.
Battery drains very very fast too and I suspect that something sucks power while phone is in idle because overnight with turned off both wifi, data and bluetooth battery went down 20%.

Bottom line:
By no means I complain and think that wp 8.1 sucks. This is a preview and issues are to be expected. I am pretty sure final release of wp 8.1 from Nokia will be much better in stability and performance. I think we have to admit that the point of releasing dev preview to the public is to hunt down the bugs and gather feedback from the community to improve final version of the system.

Jaafarj

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Loved most features, except when I realized by battery life has gone down a LOT. Hope its fixed soon. Love the 3 column option and background pictures on my 620 though! :D

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Installed WP8.1 DP as soon as it released and found it wonderful for a while. However, the more I use it, the more problems I find. Some of them are listed below:

1. Phone restarts itself, several times a day, without any apparent reason. I had this problem earlier, but GDR3 corrected it. Now it's back again. (My app list is the same as what it was before 8.1, so none of the apps are causing this)
2. Proximity sensor stops working frequently, and I have to restart the device to make it start working again. As in point 1, I had this problem earlier too, but GDR3 corrected it. Now it's back again.
3. I do some heavy work for like a minute, and then I go back to the start screen to find that the icons on the tiles are missing. It 2-3 seconds for them to appear again (as if they are refreshing).
4. Icons on the app list disappear frequently and take a second or two to reappear.
5. Photo hub is slow now. It always takes a second or two to load my albums (feels like I'm using a website, that takes a moment to download a page - doesn't feel like I'm accessing a local gallery). This was never an issue before WP8.1.
6. Updated XBox music is poor. It keeps on loading my collection endlessly. The experience seems so .. "restless". It feels as if I'm accessing music on the internet and not my locally stored collection. 3rd party apps no more show up in the music app. This music experience is way poorer that what we had on WP8. Video app isn't good either.
7. Phone hangs up a lot.
8. Cortana has suddenly started crashing. It now crashes, every single time, within a few seconds of starting.
9. My phone lies with a blank black screen as I write this. It's unresponsive and only a soft reset will get it to restart. I've already done a soft reset at least 5 times and a hard reset twice, since April 14, 2014.
10. Phone takes forever to restart.

I'm an avid fan of WP, and I know this is only a developer's preview, but what scares me is that it's the "almost final" release of WP8.1. I just hope Microsoft realizes these issues and irons all glitches out, and MS and Nokia bring out the remaining portion of the update soon. But it'll seem to be a long long wait, even longer and more tiring that my initial wait for WP8.1, 'coz for now, I'm stuck with this piece of BS. :unhappy:

Which handset do you have? I have a Lumia 920 with 8.1 and have none of the problems you describe (except for I don't like the music thing either), even the battery life has settled down to pre-update performance. Try a hard reset, it may improve things.

shikhar malhotra

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
i had been very happy with the update until this morning when the "videos" section on my lumia 820 magically stopped working. it crashes everytime i try to open it. i am no longer able to open videos. does anybody know about this? is anyone else facing this issue ?

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Enterprise WiFi still not good.

According to Microsoft officials EAP-method TTLS+PAP is available for WP 8.1 (Enterprise Wi-Fi authentication (EAP)).

But it still does not work. Users have been waiting since Windows Phone 7 for this feature.

If you choose EAP-method TTLS in the WiFi-settings on your WP8.1-phone - it will still ask the RADIUS-servers for MSCHAP-challange/response. And there is no way to change it to PAP in the WiFi-settings.

This means that a couple of hundred thousands users (students, teachers and professors and alike) world wide - still can't use eduroam WiFi with their Windows Phones where TTLS+PAP is used.

All (!) the other modern platforms supports this: including Android, IOS, MacOSX, Windows 8/8.1, Windows RT, Google Chrome OS, Blackberry, Linux and even Kindle!

But NOT Windows Phone.... Why? And when (if ever) will this be fixed?

:eck:

I guess it needs firmware update.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon