Can someone please explain these features ?

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
After reading the list of upcoming features still can't understand these following features

A. Navigation bar colors? ( and honestly what is navigations bar )
B. "Better chat notifications" ? ( How could this be different from what we have now for for chat apps such as Whatsapp and viber ) ?
C. "USB choices" ? will this makes me transfer files and documents between my phone and PC just by using the USB cable (Drag and drop) ? or maybe we can use a thumb usb drive just like we have on android ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I dont think that the USB part should change, you already are given access to all the documents, images, and such.

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
If im right the navigation bar is the bottom strip on most apps which have little circles on them and the three dots on the bottom left.
Not sure about B & C

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
USB choices could mean, charge only, mass storage, camera, or other options like syncing your phone. An image was also posted where you get notified if you are getting a slower charge than usual. Better chat could mean faster notifications and multimedia support for Facebook in the Built-in chat. The nav bar might mean the quick settings after swiping down from the top, or it could possibly mean on screen buttons.

DonnaxNL

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
After reading the list of upcoming features still can't understand these following features

The navigation bar is basically the bar where the back, home and search bottons are. But this bar will only be on Windows Phone 8.1 devices (since the devices now, already have 'real' buttons).

If im right the navigation bar is the bottom strip on most apps which have little circles on them and the three dots on the bottom left.
Not sure about B & C

That's called an app(lication) bar.

Bibbleq

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

B. "Better chat notifications" ? ( How could this be different from what we have now for for chat apps such as Whatsapp and viber ) ?
C. "USB choices" ? will this makes me transfer files and documents between my phone and PC just by using the USB cable (Drag and drop) ? or maybe we can use a thumb usb drive just like we have on android ?

Thank you.

A - Windows phone 8.1 devices will have an option to not have capacitive buttons at the bottom of the phone but can instead be displayed on the screen. I guess the colour choices is just to let people have some customisations. Something like the HTC 8S but using the bottom 0.5cm of the screen (and you can hide the bar when you dont need it).

B - improved chat notifications will be welcome, granted the current push notification system works quite well in some instances like WhatsAPP it isn't very useful things like Lync & lets face it the push notifications themselves can be a bit hit or miss. If MS are providing API's to allow chat notifications the option to embed themselves more into the OS (as indicated by the "set default messaging app") you can imagine how say Skype or WhatsAPP could totally replace the built in messaging app allowing imessage type functionality but more open.

C - USB choices - I see this being a bit like Android's choices I guess and means say for example when I just need to charge my phone I don't have to also enable data if it is on a PC I don't trust.

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I dont find any practical use for setting USB to charge only or USB drive and charge. The way android has it I find rather pointless and a nuisance to have to change how the device should act as a USB device. The feature it self I find absolutely useless and there is no point to implement something like this in windows phone. I don't think that control over how your phone should react to a USB connection is vital. I find it should just be kept simple and dont mess with the way the phone connects using USB. Plug and play, not plug and choose how to mount as on a system.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I dont find any practical use for setting USB to charge only or USB drive and charge. The way android has it I find rather pointless and a nuisance to have to change how the device should act as a USB device. The feature it self I find absolutely useless and there is no point to implement something like this in windows phone. I don't think that control over how your phone should react to a USB connection is vital. I find it should just be kept simple and dont mess with the way the phone connects using USB. Plug and play, not plug and choose how to mount as on a system.

I disagree I think this is a strong feature.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

So you don't think its a good feature even though you can just set it once and forget about it, right? Just wanted to confirm...

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com

This will be nice for me. I plug my phone into my work laptop to charge but don't have the admin privileges to install hardware so it results in a slew of errors I have to get rid of every time it detects it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3