04-15-2014 10:45 PM
135 12345 ...
tools
    I love my Lumia 1020 but NO ONE IS BUYING THEM !!! Even after I show iPhoners how awesome the camera , the OS and the big screen compared to the iPhone5. They still think I've been out sniffing glue for buying a Nokia. It's like arguing religion with people. Nothing will stop them from changing their opinions or purchasing habits. In the 7 years since my first Nokia, I've meet, literally, about 5 people that have one. Still haven't seen another Lumia in Canada yet... The need to find a niche around 10% and settle with that.
    02-17-2014 08:48 PM
    I'd like to point out a couple things:
    1. The Android market that Windows Phone is really competing with is that portion with phones using GMS (Google Mobile Services), which is roughly analogous to the iOS market. I don't know what that percentage is, but let's say it might be 60% of all Android phones. So really it's more on par with Apple's marketshare.
    2. This is more of a question, but perhaps makes a point. If Android is so big, how come (unlike Apple) Google doesn't brag about developer revenues? All I can find is a bunch of references to one article by Business Insider: Android Apps Are Now Generating Revenue - Business Insider What does Google say?

That said, it's still a steep, uphill battle for Windows Phone, but the market is growing. There's room for a third OS and Blackberry isn't it. I'm sticking with it as a developer and am excited about the new features coming to the platform.
    Laura Knotek and James8561 like this.
    02-17-2014 08:50 PM
    Being a Community Moderator and nominated for MVP in April. I come across threads that simply say I've made a mistake. I sometimes reply saying that they should do their research into the phone they're thinking of buying and the OS but still argue. I've also replied to similar threads by saying that yes, windows phone was released 3 years ago but iOS and Android were released earlier giving the public less choice of the selection of phones, Microsoft has needed to build the community up away from the competitors into a stable area, which I believe they've done that. And with 8.1 I can see the community growing because reviewers will need to say that it has this and that whereas it previously said well iOS/Android has this but Windows Phone doesn't, therefore with the features your best going away from Windows Phone. This criticism hasn't stopped the 3% and like I've already said, it will make the community bigger.
    02-17-2014 08:52 PM
    I don't think it too little too late purely because I think Microsoft are making headway in the mobile front. They are offering a unique mobile operating system which is starting to make waves in the market and some of the key developers are starting to take notice, but it's a waiting game.

While some of the big name developers do support the Windows Phone platform not many are willing to advertise the fact, the biggest of which used to be Gameloft until the made the necessary changes to their website and while they have added a 'Windows Games' tab they have yet to promote Windows Phone support on the main page. This is also evident with Instagram, Path, EA and Square Enix to name but a few.

While big ticket apps and games are important advertising them seems to be a no go area and many developers seem to prefer iOS and Android.

When it comes to Windows Phone features, well there has always been room for improvement and while some of the upcoming features we might see from Windows Phone 8.1 are great and quite frankly exciting they should have been baked into Windows Phone 8 on release and not 2 years after but I guess any improvements are better than nothing at all.

I remain excited about the Windows Phone platform and I can't wait to see what the future holds especially with Microsoft's upcoming acquisition of Nokia's mobile phone business and while we can all speculate and wait for leaks this is a ride many of us are looking forward to taking.
    02-17-2014 09:18 PM
    I believe there is a strategic reasons why MS keeps this horse in the race. I believe, with Blackberries decline, there is an approaching opening in business devices that cannot be entirely fulfilled by BYOD. My opinion is that Windows Phones is, from a productivity perspective, best positioned to fill that gap. Think of it as an augmentation to the business ecosystem.
    02-17-2014 09:27 PM

I think it is too late, the features coming to windows phone have been on iOS for a long time since iOS 5+ jailbroken. I know it because i was an iphone user, the features like notification center came to iOS devices with iOS 5.0 and continued to get better throughout the years. Siri came on iOS 6.0 then there is the action center that came on iOS 7 but iphone users could enjoy different types of quick settings if they jailbroke their phone. The battery percentage on status bar is a simple thing and very much needed that isnt still known to be on WP8.1 or not. Different volume controls were on iOS before i got on board. I love my windows phone and i love the OS with the lacks and differences and no one can change that but thats not the case for everyone, unless microsoft has an innovation that really gets the need of the users i dont think we are going to have a big growth. The main market that are now buying windows phones are the low-budget phones(mainly lumia 520) i think that phone is driving the windows phone market. Thats not good if microsoft wants to serve both high-end and low-end they need to prove something. They need to prove to people that its worth it to switch from their iPhones. I wasnt convinced but i loved the UI. Many people dont care about how the UI. the thing is that they want better phones with more innovations. Microsoft needs to do something that has a big effect on the tech world. We need an earthquake just like when steve jobs introduced the Original iPhone for the first time. Maybe with Microsoft research or Nokia's creativity. Thanks for reading and please be comfortable to reply if you dont agree or anything.
    02-17-2014 09:37 PM
    I belive that by now it doesn't really matter how good WP8.1 is going to be. I mean, market share wise. What Microsoft needs now is more devices from more OEMs in stores. The only way to accomplish this is by making Windows Phone more desirable, not only for consumers but specially for OEMs. This means being more aggressive and start betting on new strategies that may also be very risky. First one that is coming to my mind is giving Windows Phone to OEMs for free or something very close to that. Microsoft needs to put as many Windows Phones in stores as the Androids available. How are people expected to look at Windows Phones when there is only 1 to every 10 Androids. I may argue that Apple does that. Well, let me tell you, RIGHT NOW, anyone who thinks Microsoft can do the same, is terribly mistaken. Maybe in the future but certainly not now.

EDIT: Even if Windows Phone is free, most OEMs will still prefer Androids. That's because they can customize it as they want and make them more unique according to their vision. OEMs love that but they can't do it on Windows Phone, they can't simply fill it with their bloatware. It's going to be really hard!
    02-17-2014 09:54 PM
    Absolutely... Its too damn ****in late...
    Most of the users were turned away due to lack of features, leave alone lack of apps..
    02-17-2014 10:11 PM
    Too little too late? I don't really care how much market share WP has. If MS keeps making em, I'll keep buying em. If they ever decide to call it quits, then I'll move on to something else. Probably, iOS if they ever get bigger screens.
    Laura Knotek and SwimSwim like this.
    02-17-2014 10:20 PM
    I'm more than optimistic, I am excited about 8.1 features.
    I have the apps I need except for youtube which is coming so market share/app count is meaningless.

WP kills android and iPhone in the looks.
    Its efficient and reliable.
    MS is constantly improving the OS. They have the resources and the enthusiasm to beat the other two.

I wish people woud realise that we are in a win situation when it comes to choosing WP.
    It can only get better and the features that we have if duplicated should make you feel some satisfaction in choice.

iPhone and Android are for the masses.

Feel proud to be a part of "The Revolution"
    02-17-2014 10:21 PM
    It's absolutely ridiculous when people say the notifications on Android are disorganized. I have used Android for nearly 3 years and haven't seen anything better than those notifications. I like WP a lot and I have dedicated myself into using Windows Phone from now on. I use 820 and I am extremely satisfied with the OS.

Android has flaws, a lot of them and NOTIFICATION SYSTEM isn't one of them.
    dalydose likes this.
    02-17-2014 10:33 PM
    Very nicely put.
    SAM 77 likes this.
    02-17-2014 10:35 PM
    In my opinion,when wp8.1 will launch it will decrease android and apple marketshares.........what do you think guyz???????
    02-17-2014 10:44 PM
    I don't think its too little too late. Like mentioned previously Android and iOS weren't built in a day. It took many builds and updates and tweeks to get where they are now. My wife loves the Windows OS looks and features, she even had a 1520 for a week. Unfortunately the OS doesn't have everything she needs and likes yet. She still wants to get a Windows phone when it starts getting the functions she needs and wants. With 8.1 it will get closer and that can only be a good thing.
    02-17-2014 10:45 PM
    No. Not too late. The nerds that occupy boards like to shout doom and gloom because of some pet peeve, but the market fluctuates. WP is already beating iOS is some key markets. The US is tougher, but there is solid growth. This 8.1 update is great. All of the "catchup" stuff seems to be in there along with a few tricks that iOS and Android don't have. Additionally, if Cortana can live up to the hype and make voice more than a gimmick, that alone could be a game changer. The SD card use improvements will attract more camera enthusiasts as will the API access to video.

If you're part of the "shoulda all been done at initial launch" chorus, you'd complain if they had delayed that launch or if they rushed to get it all in. It is not as if they can just wish it into code. That stuff has to be written and designed and tested. That line of logic says that if they didn't get it done then, that they should never bother, right. It's"too little, too late". They should just pack up and call it quits because you didn't have that feature that you miss?
    02-17-2014 10:52 PM
    Too late? Well maybe, but the problem with WP aint the features. It's still the apps.

Microsoft needs to find a way to attract more people bying the devices and that way attract more developers to the pack. The big games and apps from Android/iOS need to be on WP too, and that is the problem what Microsoft is facing.

With more users, comes more attraction to developers to develop for WP. Features are of course part of the deal, because if you don't have the "normal features" you won't sell phones, but still the app gap (which is declining) is still the biggest problem.
    02-17-2014 11:49 PM
    IM from India. In my locality, no one used a Windows phone. I was the first one in last September with L720. Now after me 8 people I know have bought Lumias. Dnt knw ant US,bt in India WP is surely growing
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-18-2014 12:02 AM
    Yes, it's too late. While it may sound wonderful, most of the rumoured features for WP8.1 are basic and standard features, already in Andriod and IOS long long time ago. So what the big fuss about !!!
    02-18-2014 12:33 AM
    Its hard to decide if its too little too late. We still do not know about all the features. All the features listed are playing catch up which is good but not enough. Whats the differentiator? Why would someone who walks into a shop pick up WP over Android or iPhone which most of his/her friends and family has?

There has to be compelling feature which will excite people. If not then devices has to be dirt cheap and attract people who only care about price(which is what has happened recently). This worries me. This will mean that WP will go Android way where they control the market share but most people buy junk.

I hope they have some features which will differentiate the product and excite new users.
    02-18-2014 12:40 AM
    If they made it so you could sit the phone in a dock and use BT keyboard and mouse and use office and surf web they will become ahead of the game :) why are they not doing this?
    02-18-2014 12:47 AM
    I don't think the question is whether or not it is too little or to late. the features that Windows Platform offers may be features android and iOS ppl have been used to or have expectation of. So having these new updates in 8.1 may not be enough to sway customers because they are used to these features on let's say android.

Obviously there are some features which are unique but for the majority they would not know. If anything 8.1 may make ppl realize that windows is slow to catch up and 8.1 further proves it.

Don't Get me wrong, although I use an android, I love windows. I have a 521 and a surface and I'm waiting to see what they have announcing for Tmobile at MWC and hopefully a full pebble watch supported app will be soon available. But I feel the look and freshness of the windows platform itself must do the work to lure ppl over and not just 8.1.
    02-18-2014 01:20 AM
    the way i see it is that there two schools of thought.One group being "windows phone should be more like android as much as possible" and the other being "windows should be even more unique and less like android as much as possible".If your in the former thinking, you will always look to compare the two, looking for the same features in the different platforms.if your in the latter like me, there is nothing else like it and you want every app and feature to be customized and unique to windows phone.A good example of this is instagram and 6tag.In my opinion 6tag has more features and customization options than the official instagram app which was just a copy paste from the android version, and so when it came out i was disappointed that it wasn't unique the way 6tag was to the platform
    So what people are expecting form the 8.1 update is very different from person to person, however saying that there is no innovation just catch up the windows platform is simply not true.Yes its not perfect and there are improvements to be made, but that's the same to the current version of android and IOs.If you want windows to be more like android, then just get an android phone. I just hope that guys at Microsoft do not want to make the platform like android on the hopes of its becoming mainstream. Windows phone doesn't need to be no.1, as it advances it should be more in line to the original vision of the platform.Just my humble opinion
    Jonathanmr7 and SAM 77 like this.
    02-18-2014 01:31 AM
    i bought windows phone because it was A nokia...for the camera.i came from Symbian which up to now has more features than wp.but Symbian is dead.
    but 8.1 has made me want to stay.
    customisation of some sort is what most people want.now they may have it with 8.1.too late...probably just in time.
    a platform worse than Symbian is going down.which is what wp was.
    just in time i would say..just in time!
    02-18-2014 01:56 AM
    WP 8.1 seems great thus far. Although, I'm not holding my breath on it considering the fact that I have a NL810 (which is not receiving black) I won't expect 8.1 to arrive either. But looks like it came just in time. At WP's prime. 👍
    02-18-2014 02:00 AM
    The rumoured features for Windows Phone 8.1 has got me excited for the platform. But there is a nagging feeling that it may be too little too late. After 3 years in the market place, it has only managed a paltry 3% market share. Android, love it or loath it has become the default choice for tablets and smart phones. It has in fact become bigger than Google itself in that they themselves have lost control of the OS and are trying to rein it in. As for the future of Windows on phones & tablets, I'm not sure where it will be heading. Somehow, I feel whatever changes and features are announced at Build, the market gap has widened so much that Windows Phone will never be able to catch up. It maybe the case of closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted. I'm a WP fan and love the OS, but in all honesty what do you really think? Are you as optimistic as when you first bought into the platform?
    To answer your question, yes it is probably too little, too late for market share. Windows phone needed all these features from day one if it was to seriously make a dent in this market, but I ask you and everyone these question's;

Why does it matter to you and everyone of the same opinion how much market share Microsoft has in the mobile phone business? If you enjoy windows phone and the people you know who have a windows phone enjoy theirs, I ask again, why does it matter if another person on the other side of the world or another stranger in your town owns a windows phone?

Surely the only people who should be concerned about market share are Microsoft directors, employees and shareholders?

Because I mostly enjoy owning a windows phone and I am looking forward to these new features that may be coming in April, but people should look at the fact that owning a windows phone is great for them and their families. It does not matter whether Microsoft has 3% or 50% market share to me. There are popular companies and developers that are still to port apps over to windows, but why is that? Is it because of market share or is it that they have signed exclusivity agreements with IOS and android? Because 3% of a global smartphone industry is still a lot of people and nice chunk of money is still to be made out of it.

Or is it just a popularity contest so people can come on forums and say we are the greatest mobile phone platform?
    02-18-2014 02:28 AM
135 12345 ...