The Windows Phone 8.1 update sounds fantastic, but is it too little late?

Andreas Kjernald

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think it all depends on what you want from a phone.

I remember buying a HTC Magic/G2 when it was brand new back in the day (here in Sweden). It was awesome and I really liked it. It never dawned on me that you could upgrade your phone and/or that it was a "given". I just bought it for its features and the cool OS.
I know it is a different story today with upgrades being essential, but this is what I am thinking. When my HTC came out it took years for the small, local apps to come out (for my Swedish bank, for instance). It was annoying to watch iOS get all the good stuff first and then wait and wait and wait. That's kind of like what it is now with my Nokia 920/1020. I have to wait and wait for local apps (if they come at all)...and it is annoying.

BUT,

I didn't get an iPhone back in the day and I won't switch back to an Android today. Why? Because I really like the Windows OS and the Nokia hardware is awesome. It does what I need it to do and more. I can live without every single app on the market, although it would be nice. However, my mom got a HTC One mini a while back (because the moron clerk at the store steered her away from my recommendation, the 620). Trying to set up that (supposedly free) HTC was a pain in the neck. It didn't do what I wanted it to do and Android still seemed like a hodge-podge of afterthoughts slapped on top of each other.

Android will probably remain the number one OS for the forseeable future but I see it like this. In the PC world there are a million Windows and Chrome computers but fewer Apples, although they are the reigning leader in style and functionality. I have both and love the Windows 8 and can't stand my iMac, but that is me. However, you can't argue with facts. Apple make really cool laptops and computers that work really well. Just compare the iMac to the Dell all-in-one...

Thus, I think Windows Phone will become the Apple company of the smartphone world. Windows phone is to Android what Apple is to the PC. Sure, the iPhone is very popular but I don't think that will last. Fashion only goes so far and even though they have all the apps their hardware is in a word...boring. Why would people settle for stale icons on tiny screens in this day and age?There is no reason to buy an iPhone over a Nokia based on fashion. They both look great. Android looks like Samsung and they look like cr-p.

It is all about the critical mass of the public mind. Once enough people see and enjoy a phone system good things follow, almost regardless of the quality of the product. Windows Phone is heading that way and when it does it will become number 2.

Then again, when all is said and done it doesn't really matter, does it?

jaypatel19

May 11, 2013
Visit site
wait , hold on a moment,

gaining market share is too far future, first let talk about the current state,

1. when I first saw wp7, I was just impressed the phone, every my friend was using android, they warned me I dont get any apps & all the cool free games of android, but still I bought it & when the wp8 came some of those friends automatically came after me(android->Lumia owner)

2. when right now I asked my colleagues to switch to Lumia , most of them asked for reliable notifications(NOTIFICATION CENTRE) & the other is freedom to download anything & manage(share with others) them, that's it. they don't care about the too many features & customization, trust me , asked ur android/ios friend what they use daily on their phone, android will say whatsapp & ios will say show off to others, nothing more. we don't use each & every function of our so called SMARTPHONE, now when 2 days ago when I talked to the same colleagues for switching & told them all these things will come in to wp8.1 , they show the interest to buy the Lumia.

3. can u tell me which os company listen to their users? google made everything open so developers decide what users can do & how to do, result android become lagdroid.Apple is apple, whatever they offer whether good or bad, just take it or leave it. they are also not provide users freedom.

but Microsoft & nokia(that's y it has 90% share) always try to learn what users want to do on their phone, nokia is try to give that stuff by their App suites(I'm just loving their all apps)& also try to convince & motivate other developers to build the apps, if u'll got to the uservoice site which is handled by Microsoft, u'll notice, how many features the are going to complete by wp8.1 launch. almost all the features which I requested & my android/ios friends.they are actively listening to us, they are slow but not late.

thank you
**this is my point of view & my research around where I live.

Madder1393

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't think it's a matter of being too late but a matter of efficient marketing from now on. Microsoft has been promoting their products with little success (although it's true that lately they have taken some important steps to the right direction). Since the update pretty much brings Windows Phone on par with other OSs, in terms of user interaction that is, Microsoft has nothing to lose "pushing" their products even more. As for the "too little" statement, let's just hope that Microsoft is saving the best for last...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I like the platform, and WP8.1 is looking to be a big update, but it's nothing new in terms of features that other phone users haven't had, actually, it's surprising they need to do an 8.1 to bring that stuff in.

I still want to see the phone be able to download files and store them on the phone, that means any file, but particularly the streaming of videos and sound, that's just awful that you can't save the files to the phone. There also needs to be improvement to the email app, to attach any file in it. What you probably gather here is, there needs to be some sort of file management. I don't care if there is no file browser, as much, but the phone isn't really smart if it can't manipulate files like a PC does.

Also some sort of ability to print stuff from apps, particularly office. Might be a big call to get that included, but it's something that's popping up, and to have a first class office app, it sort of needs to be there.

I hope they get there eventually. I'm very happy to see separate volume profiles, and quiet time, they're two big features which I have no idea how they were over looked. Basically, MS can't afford to stand still on the platform development. The moment they give up on increasing features, is the moment a lot of people will probably depart.

Skype, I think still needs heaps of work though. Fair enough to have a separate app, but it sort of competes with the integrated social media functions. I think it would be a lot better if skype was integrated into the phone, like you can do with facebook.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Well of course it is late , but better late than never isn't it ?

Few quick points:

- If the leaks are to be believed and all of them do make it to the final RTM , we are seeing a complete overhaul of the OS - which is in a way good thing.

- Despite the lack of "important" updates , I have seen WP growing at a steady rate , so there is definitely WP is doing right

- If these updates do come and works fine , then I am reasonably happy as it fills a gap - a gap that people cribbed about , but never was really a shot in the arm

- A chain is as strong as it's weakest link. Even the Android and iOS did face a slow down in updates not because they were dumb , but because there is a limit you can update

- Android chose the path of features over stability. I think it was only after honeycomb the OS actually showed of stability. WP chose stability over features. So you did have a very stable OS and features came sporadically.

- Both Android and iOS have been in the market for long. so naturally a new comer would have to play catch up. you need courage to venture in a saturated market like this and even make a dent or two. That WP came late , came with an unfinished WP 7 , made a gross mistake of pushing WP 7 out with WP 8 and yet have a steady growth - that's commendable !

So yes , it is late. I am always happy when my phone gets updated. I am not much of a big bang guy who waits for a big one update. But having said this , I am happy that WP is growing , growing so well ( note to bathroom journalists - you are wrong , Nadella wont fork Android - Jesus how insaane ! ) . Too litte ? - That depends , I never wanted WP to fly a helicopter , it just works and works fine

Slice313

Banned
Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Update needs to be released as soon as possible, June-Agoust seems like a failure lunch date (too late). WP 8.1 could be what WP was needing at the first place for catching up agaisnt IOS and Android. Hopefully Dev preview will be available much earlier but that is something that the vast mayority dont know or dont wanna try (tricky).

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
It is too late but not because marketshare. google reversed an iphone dominant world, so it can be done. however MSFT must do the following (at least, and by no means all inclusive list).

1) FREE. Windows phone must be free.
Just get it over with. No company will every pay a license fee on a phone ever again. Google made sure of this.

2) Customizable by OEMs but in non update preventable ways.
We've all seen this in the PC space. OEMs can install their crapware but that doesn't break windows from updating. Allow OEMs acess, they are simply not going to look at you if you don't. Thank google for this mess, but WP cannot ignore it. Stop the idiotic policy of 8 bit color choices (joking reference to NES). Let users go wild if they want. Let OEMs make it look different. They already stated they DON'T want their customization options to simply be 3 extra tile colors. Embrace OEMs or die as you have WP.

3) Stop being 2 years behind. Stop hoping the competition is wrong and fail to follow.
Windows phone 8.1 is really windows phone 2012. I say this because most of the features it brings, were on competing platforms around that time. WP still lacks a siri, google now like assitant. Cortana is rumored but it is basically 2 years too late. MSFT needs to stop doing this crap of playing catch up. Follow google: less than perfect but not far behind model. When siri shipped, google reacted, MSFT mocked it. Now who's mockign who as MSFT even failed to ship the thing that they mocked and are rushing to anyway...yet late?

4) modernize the modern UI for high dpi screens, modern specs.
Windows phone was designed with a black UI to save power, and with huge fonts to deal with 800x480 screens. Yet iOS and Android have embraced high dpi screens with beautiful micro fonts which in 4.5 inch plus devices look stunning. Yet WP still black and white with 200pt fonts that spill over the edge as if such a thing was cool. It's like the kid that still wears the hat backwards thinking it is "kewl". And the UI is looking stale and old. 2011 was a long time ago. WP no longer feels fresh, it feels stuck in time. Not to mention stupid ackwardness of it is just frustrating. how many taps does it take to just glance at the IE favorites and why can't MSFT not organize these things beyond a 50 point font list of items? You have in some cases a 1080P screen capable of 16 million colors per pixel and all you can do is the equivalent of a DOS prompt?

5) Sell nokia's handset business.
really let them go. If google decided that pissing off the OEMs wasn't worth it even as they control nearly 90% of the market, MSFT has no business holding on to nokia's. Yes the company will probably do android and under the current flawed windows phone model, that would prove a fatal blow to MSFT strategy. But their strategy is already doomed. They need to offer an alternative to android which is just as good and just as flexible but without the gestapo behavior of the google OHA, which punishes OEMs for tampering too much with the "google experience". OEMs are increasingly weary of google. Tizen is proof. Google is trying to apease them by basically selling moto but let's face it: MSFT can't pitch to be better while they are holding a 12 inch knife behind their back labeled "nokia".

6) Unify the appstores.
Just do it. I dont' think anybody wants to see an xbox appstore, a WP appstore and an RT appstore. Whoever thought of this should not be working at MSFT. And whoever let it happen, I supposed Ballmer, should leave. Hopefully Satya sees this issue.

7) Embrace location and mapping.
Both apple and MSFT fail at mapping. It isn't that google is better, but google cares more. Both MSFT and apple can match the infrastructure and mapping fleets. Both have the software. They just need to gather the data. And this is something google does far more than they do, and it shows. Stop screwing around MSFT.

8) Remove the 30% app fee.
Yes I realize that this fee doesn't actually make much money for apple and google, but you are LOSING and so you must be DISTRUPTIVE. Developers keeping 1/3 more of their sales will not go overlooked. Yes, the other guys can match it but they would take a much bigger hit in nominal dolars so they will only do it after they have no choice. That's the point: if WP gets more apps because of this, it will get more marketshare, which brings more apps etc. That's the point. Plust admit it, making life more expensive for the juggernauts has to feel good as how many times have apple/google tired to pull the same thing on MSFT?

9) The entire windows phone leadership must go.
Follow the windows 8 path and get rid of those responsible for the mess. You can't have real change with them. Let a new leadership team take over WP, one that shares the vision that WP is failing and needs a drastic turn around. Phase 1, getting Joe Belfiore out of WP is done. But his boss is now in charge of windows (Tery Mayerson). He is responsble for MSFT failed mobile strategy (after ballmer). He needs to go.

10) Stop shipping better and more stuff on competing platforms than on your own.
ipad will now get office before win8? I suppose windows phone will keep getting the shaft too.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Today, it's all about ecosystems. I like the Windows ecosystem, but MS would do better if they helped Google move away from the MS system as they are clearly keen to do (same way as Google are helping Windows users to move away from their services by blocking us). MS then need to integrate WPs with Windows better. Ideally, Homegroup should come with 8.1 and soon as possible a system to allow apps to work on tablet/desktop/phone without having to buy the same app twice to get it on all kit. This would be the killer feature, integration with your other Win devices that other platforms don't have. Seems obvious to me.

Athanville

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
i think they are doing the best possible because those who have been on Nokia longer, we will tell you updates were few and very spaced apart so you saw an update maybe once in 2 years. i think granted they are doing a lovely job, now just to implement the 8.1 and we could get competitive, android is rubbish, too shifty and unstable plus samsung builds rubbish lightweights of phones, so for me android is a never if i was to change maybe (big maybe) IOS.

trinkner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty much up to developers, isn't it? The key criticism of WP is the app gap. If 8.1 give developers the tools they need to create compelling and useful apps, the app gap will shrink. If MS continues to lock down the OS overly much, developers will stay away and the platform will remain at low adoption rates. Microsoft will have let developers have more access to low-level APIs that are needed to extend the OS's functionality. Android has a huge app selection because so much of the OS is available to them. That's also a weakness of Android: apps can slow the phone to a crawl. Finding the balance between a secure, fluid OS and one that developers can extend is the critical issue. The 8.1 changes seem to offer developers more APIs. We'll know after a few months of 8.1's release whether MS has exposed enough APIs and increased background app functionality to be competitive.

marciocattini

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Moto X recently to replace my old Lumia 620 and my lost 820 :(

I miss the windows phone simplicity and stability. I think these updates will bring the platform on par with the competitors, I think Windows Phone still needs to innovate more but the more they add the better the platform will stand a chance to survive. And although I like having most apps available on Android I do believe that Windows Phone will grow and it will be come the 2nd platform in time because the Android OS is saturated and people are already looking for a change, unfortunatelly atm the only platform that offers a similar app market is iOS. When the WP environment matures and more apps become available I think Android Users and even some iOS users to a certain extent will migrate to the Windows Phone.

I think most people love a WP when they see one, they are just not ready to migrate when so many of their favourite apps are still not around.

Regards,

M?rcio Cattini

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Its not late as WP8 is already pretty damn good. People are saying no options that others dont have?The entire OS is different. Action center is not the exact same thing as iOS and Android counterparts, although it has the same purpose. But like, no ****? What else should a place for notifications have different? What works works, dont reinvent the wheel now right?

I think they are holding out on stuff tile wise like new colors (custom)? backgrounds, etc

karthikt94

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
A lot of things which Windows Phone is getting now has already been implemented in other OSs, agreed. But it's way better in WP than on any other platforms. Also does it really matter to you as a user about the market share of the platform. It's shaping up to be a platform which can't be ignored, so you don't have to worry about apps. And there's always some app or the other releasing on WP every other day. Just relax!
Don't think so much, just continue doing what you love, rather than what thinking about what you should love.

"The more you look, the less you see".

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not too little or too late, but now that MS has reached near parity with other mobile operating systems with features, they need to keep up with the updates and support to show they are serious about mobile. It would be too little and too late if people weren't still interested in switching over. Missing features (notification center) and missing apps (candy crush) are two of the most common reasons my friends are hesitant to switch. MS could be knocking out one of these barriers for the consumer, which is always a good thing. They just need to keep producing the goods in order to keep raising consumer awareness.

Diniy Moktar

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. For me its too late. When every one is focusing on WP 8.1, I as the Lumia 620 user still have not received the black update yet. It is still waiting for the approval. Its really disappointing.I love Lumia, but maybe they are too slow for the update making us the Lumia 620 users waiting. I've checked the Asia Pacific region and guess what? Most lumia 620 black update is still waiting for the approval. Cmon, we are part of Lumia family. Please dont let us in disappointment. I really dont want to change to another brand, but this has made me in considering mode to change my phone. Sorry for that. Maybe I am too impatient but you can ask the other 620 users, I believe they are in the same state with me.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is going to be like a brand new phone all over again! I love it! Never too late. This update is exactly what WP needs to succeed.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, if the update isn't released until like June it might be too late. I don't want my OS to ALWAYS be playing catch up. WP doesn't have to be first to everything, but I don't like that every major update seems like it is just to get it on par with other mobile operating systems.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. For me its too late. When every one is focusing on WP 8.1, I as the Lumia 620 user still have not received the black update yet. It is still waiting for the approval. Its really disappointing.I love Lumia, but maybe they are too slow for the update making us the Lumia 620 users waiting. I've checked the Asia Pacific region and guess what? Most lumia 620 black update is still waiting for the approval. Cmon, we are part of Lumia family. Please dont let us in disappointment. I really dont want to change to another brand, but this has made me in considering mode to change my phone. Sorry for that. Maybe I am too impatient but you can ask the other 620 users, I believe they are in the same state with me.
Every brand have update delays except for Apple. It's the world we live in.

AgnishB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
It matters for market share. Because even if we love it, they aint going to produce phones for us if there arent enough users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12