The Windows Phone 8.1 update sounds fantastic, but is it too little late?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As for too little too late. Can't judge it currently. All the features of WP8.1 are not released yet. We know of some things, not everything.

I see WP8.1 as the pinch point however. MS has to deliver big and it has to make impact. I know people go on about the 'slowly but surely' approach. Nokia took that route and look where it got them.

There quite a few issues with OS and hardware and it looks like WP8.1 will address the OS issues lets hope the hardware is up to scratch. :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No, I cant agree. It is late, yes but not too late. Considering that Windows is facing slight stagnation currently yet is the default os for desktop, that's proof that even Google one day can be outmatched and falter. Which I hope happens...i would rather an Apple centric world to android and Google.

The rumoured features for Windows Phone 8.1 has got me excited for the platform. But there is a nagging feeling that it may be too little too late. After 3 years in the market place, it has only managed a paltry 3% market share. Android, love it or loath it has become the default choice for tablets and smart phones. It has in fact become bigger than Google itself in that they themselves have lost control of the OS and are trying to rein it in. As for the future of Windows on phones & tablets, I'm not sure where it will be heading. Somehow, I feel whatever changes and features are announced at Build, the market gap has widened so much that Windows Phone will never be able to catch up. It maybe the case of closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted. I'm a WP fan and love the OS, but in all honesty what do you really think? Are you as optimistic as when you first bought into the platform?

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
With the ultimate merger of WinRT and WinPRT runtimes (I doubt whether they actually meant the RT and WP OS'), there is a huge potential for a shot in the arm with regards to better sync capabilities across all your MS powered devices, number of apps, overall system stability etc. I think the delay can be forgiven given that MS is trying to create a "One" ecosystem. I would still keep my fingers crossed though. :)

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah, it's late, but if all the leaks are true, I actually can't think of anything that we're missing anymore. Can you? Sure, apps, but that's another story. If they manage to get Android apps running on Windows Phone (I don't want that by the way), that, too, will be fixed. So hopefully, we can see WP 8.1 not as a "too late and too little" update, but as the update that marks the dawn of innovation instead of playing catch up!

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
After 3 years in the market place, it has only managed a paltry 3% market share.
True, in the U.S. It is doing better in other countries, particularly in those where the cost of the handset isn't substantially masked by carrier subsidies.

Android, love it or loath it has become the default choice for tablets and smart phones. It has in fact become bigger than Google itself in that they themselves have lost control of the OS and are trying to rein it in.
I disagree with most of this, particularly in the U.S. where both iPhone and iPad still have large market shares; iPad also does well in many other countries. I don't think that Google has lost control of Android, but they have realized that poor visual quality, sputtering behavior, and other "little things" add up to a less than desirable user experience. They have been working for two years to substantially improve that experience.

As for the future of Windows on phones & tablets...the market gap has widened so much that Windows Phone will never be able to catch up.
It depends on how you define "catch up." With WP8 and Win8, Microsoft tried to draw the heavy line between phone and non-phone. It didn't work. Apple drew that line between computer and non-computer; Android essentially followed Apple with a phone+tablet API -- that line seems to be one that consumers and developers like. It now appears that Microsoft is trying to adjust the thickness and placement of that line so that phones and tablets are more alike in programming. The unique differentiator that such a strategy affords, particularly in combination with Windows 8, is the ability let users run those apps on the "full computer", for those who want to do so.

I'm a WP fan and love the OS, but in all honesty what do you really think? Are you as optimistic as when you first bought into the platform?
Yes, but "as optimistic" isn't the same as "optimistic."

I expect that WP will continue to improve its market position globally, finally getting noticed in the U.S. in late 2014 to early 2015. I expect that iOS will continue a slow decrease in share, mostly at the low end as a result of Android and WP. Google and Microsoft have strategies that span the price range; Apple does not. Google has an experience that, at the low end, isn't so wonderful, while Microsoft is able to provide a pretty good experience even on less expensive devices. The ability to span economic markets ($60-600) to maximize user reach and to span devices (phone-tablet-computer) to maximize developers reach gives Microsoft an advantage that Apple and Google do not have. Now the question is to see if they can capitalize on it.

I'll give MS credit for being willing to beat their heads against a wall for longer than most firms; That persistence is why folks joke that you never buy an MS product until it's at version 3.x because the first two attempts are weak. WP7 was 1.0; Mango/WP7.5 was 2.0; WP8 was sort of a 2.1 because it did a "reset" of the product. WP8.1 will be the effective 3.0. Let's hope...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You lost me here... care to explain what that means exactly?

What i am saying is....People refer to ANdroid as the new Windows and how it dominates mobile/tablets like Microsoft does with windows in desktop.
And using that same logic, Windows as an OS is having some difficulty on the desktop front and I could see eventually Android facing the same sort of challenge that Microsoft is facing with windows.
Nothing is forever and i certainly hope sooner than later, someone...be it apple or Microsoft or hell, even Blackberry lol knocks google back a bit. So is it late? Yes of course.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think WP will top out around 10-15% of the market share and MS is ok with that since they continue making more money off android than WP. Not to mention, unless BB goes away or IOS/android lose a lot of market share, there isn't really a ton of marketshare left to gain in many areas (others still are growing, but nowhere near what it was 2-3 years ago.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
What i am saying is....People refer to ANdroid as the new Windows and how it dominates mobile/tablets like Microsoft does with windows in desktop.
And using that same logic, Windows as an OS is having some difficulty on the desktop front and I could see eventually Android facing the same sort of challenge that Microsoft is facing with windows.
Nothing is forever and i certainly hope sooner than later, someone...be it apple or Microsoft or hell, even Blackberry lol knocks google back a bit. So is it late? Yes of course.

You also have to take into account MS sat back and laughed when the iPhone first came out calling it a "toy" while google went back to the drawing board, so does it make any sense that google has succeeded while WP has not. Google rather than resting on their laurels, like MS with with WM back in the day and waiting for WP, while google and others adapted and it is working for them. I also think that with google being so entrenched in about every area, you are seeing android pop up on more and more things that could potentially help keep them relevant if the phone portion dies off.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has nowhere to go but up with WP and it seems like they're putting their best foot forward, they really have no choice because the tech field is going so mobile.

It's going to be hard to get existing users of iOS and Android to step outside of their box. But Microsoft's worst enemy is going to be the sales reps in stores. You'll only ever sell what sales reps want to sell. I've had it happen to me, went into Verizon for a WP and the rep said WP8 was useless and said Android was the best but when asked why all he could come up with was because.

So to answer your question no it's not too little too late on Microsoft's part but unfortunately sales reps have more control over the future of Microsoft than Microsoft. This isn't just with WP8 but W8.1, the people who hate on it the most are the people who have never used it. I support people with the tech needs and some of the biggest W8 haters have never touched it. I worked with a guy who absolutely hated W8 so went and bought a Mac because they were so simple, for the first 2 months he hated that too. Not because it's a bad product but because he didn't know how to use it, once he learned how to use it he loved it.

It blows my mind how people can say they hate something when though they've never used it. You can't hate something you've never used, you just simply don't know how to use it.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It blows my mind how people can say they hate something when though they've never used it. You can't hate something you've never used, you just simply don't know how to use it.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

I think they call it mass hysteria.
Trouble is, once the frenzy has reached a certain intensity it's difficult to wind it back down.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
After 8.1, I would say wp will be on par with ios and android (if not in customisation) but with good marketing, the market share gain is going to be faster than ever before.

in fact, there are a few features I'd like to see from WP brought across to Windows 8. The People Hub, for instance, seems partially implemented over there.

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
With the ultimate merger of WinRT and WinPRT runtimes (I doubt whether they actually meant the RT and WP OS'), there is a huge potential for a shot in the arm with regards to better sync capabilities across all your MS powered devices, number of apps, overall system stability etc.

I hope so, it'd be great to see a more comprehensive synch between Outlook, Windows Phone, and Outlook.com. At the moment syncing tasks isn't supported and I miss it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hope so, it'd be great to see a more comprehensive synch between Outlook, Windows Phone, and Outlook.com. At the moment syncing tasks isn't supported and I miss it.

What version of Outlook do you have? I'm running 2013, and this task I created in Outlook syncs with my WP.
ytaqu7ym.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I think WP will top out around 10-15% of the market share and MS is ok with that since they continue making more money off android than WP. Not to mention, unless BB goes away or IOS/android lose a lot of market share, there isn't really a ton of marketshare left to gain in many areas (others still are growing, but nowhere near what it was 2-3 years ago.

I don't think MS can be happy with 10-15% market share. Their original vision wad to have Windows on every desktop. Now that is threatened with a new generation of people experiencing technology for the first time on other platforms. MS has to make their strategy work.

And given time and if MS keeps up the pace in refining WP and Windows, it will get there. The smartphone race is not a sprint, but more like a marathon.

Two major platforms that previously held substantial market shares and highly regarded in their day have fallen by the wayside.

Neither of the two leaders can afford to be complacent.

They say the pilots that succeed in a dogfight are those that have the stamina to remain more relentless than their opponents.

MS have shown that they have a 30 something year track record that demonstrates their tenacity. Back in the early days of Windows, MS had seemingly lost the battle for word-processor supremacy in Japan to another. Yet they rolled in a new team and additional resources and two years later took the crown and haven't been deposed since.

With a MS executive appointed as the new CEO, he will have this ingrained in him. They need to stay the course and listen carefully to what the market says without compromising their design philosophy as this isn't what's broken.

In this game, it's never too late unless there's no coin left in the tin. Microsoft is far, far from that.

SuneelBskr

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
That's a firmware issue, nothing to do with WP8 OS.

I don't think its a firmware issue, this is because of the crappy OS. My camera was very good with out any updates. Only when upgraded to Amber, it sucks. Seems the image processing algorithm was modified.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its a firmware issue, this is because of the crappy OS. My camera was very good with out any updates. Only when upgraded to Amber, it sucks. Seems the image processing algorithm was modified.

The updates with Nokia are usually a combined GDR (MS) and firmware update. The camera imaging process is controlled by the firmware and Nokia software, not the OS. So blaming MS is incorrect. On top of that, we're off topic. There is a huge thread going on different forums complaining about the same thing. Maybe find that thread and see what's being said and if there are any fixes?

You also try a hard reset or a re-install using the Nokia Updater Software to see if that fixes your issue. It's possible that your firmware didn't install correctly.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Too little too late? This will attract more users than ever to WP! It is not like iOS and Android are evolving so quickly now...in fact I think they are both a lit boring now...whihc is why i picked up a Lumia 925 and am looking forward to the 8.1 devices!

I have a 925 as well and have been really happy performance wise and it is easily the best looking WP!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077