Wp 8.1 File Manager

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wp8.1

Wp8.1 does not have file manager in last night leaks feature

Not everything was posted about WP8.1 in that article.

Don't expect a file manager as you know it if one is coming. Information, however sketchy it is, indicates we'll get some form of one. Most likely in the form of deeper integration of Onedrive.

There is also a huge thread on this topic already. Let's not start another.

Last edited:

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I saw that too. And I'm still not getting what problem does MS have in giving us a proper file manager(if it is so in WP 8.1 as well).But ofcourse the leaks did suggest a file browser in the OneDrive app(or whatever).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I saw that too. And I'm still not getting what problem does MS have in giving us a proper file manager(if it is so in WP 8.1 as well).But ofcourse the leaks did suggest a file browser in the OneDrive app(or whatever).

Windows Phone is based on security and reduced risk to user. It's very similar to the Apple model. That's why we have sandboxed apps. That's why there's no file manager and why there won't be a file manager like Android or like a Windows OS. Any file manager will be watered down and will probably only access limited folders, like the ones we can access via USB cable.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
These new releases are problematic for fangirls and boys. After years of justifying the absence of a file manager on the grounds that it was unnecessary and a stupid idea, what happens when Microsoft decide to add one? Are Microsoft wrong? What can we do?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
These new releases are problematic for fangirls and boys. After years of justifying the absence of a file manager on the grounds that it was unnecessary and a stupid idea, what happens when Microsoft decide to add one? Are Microsoft wrong? What can we do?!

It's going to be a very loose interpretation of a file manager I would say.

As for the fans, well, change is what it is. WP has to differentiate itself. My guess it's trying to be the best of both worlds. Security with functionality. Not an easy line to walk. I think the apps will still be sandboxed with probably functionality to add to the Onedrive file system. Which will be a sort of sandboxed file manager. That's just a thought though not a reality.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
All I asking for is a centralized area where user can access to all saved files, regardless of file types. Then apps can access to the common area to consume the files. MS can block all the sensitive system areas they want, but please allow us to have a way to see all files.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
All I asking for is a centralized area where user can access to all saved files, regardless of file types. Then apps can access to the common area to consume the files. MS can block all the sensitive system areas they want, but please allow us to have a way to see all files.

That's probably what's going to happen but it will probably need the app developer implement it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Those against a file manager described what they saw as possible alternatives:
  • File system access restricted to a very limited subset of predetermined data folders, leaving 99% of the file system as inaccessible as it has always been.
  • File picker\chooser vs. file manager
  • Instead of a file manager, we might get some file manager like features integrated into the SkyDrive app (now OneDrive)
It looks like those predictions are turning out to be spot on. This is nothing at all like a file manager as we know it from Android or Windows. The point of a file manager would have been to solve all the file access related problems WP has. This is definitely not that solution. Hope I could clear that up for you.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Windows Phone is based on security and reduced risk to user. It's very similar to the Apple model. That's why we have sandboxed apps. That's why there's no file manager and why there won't be a file manager like Android or like a Windows OS. Any file manager will be watered down and will probably only access limited folders, like the ones we can access via USB cable.
Yes, and that is what I want to have. I want the freedom to access the files stored on my SD card from the phone itself. I want to be able to move them from one folder to another. My phone should NOT be dependent on a pc to do something which I want to do. It's a smartphone, not a dumbphone so that it needs a pc. And, most importantly, I do not want anything similar to the Apple model. I used to think that a file manager would be a standard feature on every phone. Now, when I realize that iOS has no file manager, I will never even look at it.
I don't see any security concerns in giving users the ability to see their files in different folders stored on the SD card just like desktop Windows.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes, and that is what I want to have. I want the freedom to access the files stored on my SD card from the phone itself. I want to be able to move them from one folder to another. My phone should NOT be dependent on a pc to do something which I want to do. It's a smartphone, not a dumbphone so that it needs a pc. And, most importantly, I do not want anything similar to the Apple model. I used to think that a file manager would be a standard feature on every phone. Now, when I realize that iOS has no file manager, I will never even look at it.
I don't see any security concerns in giving users the ability to see their files in different folders stored on the SD card just like desktop Windows.

With iOS they have opened the system a bit which has allowed people to develop file managers/pickers. The email is also similar to WP with the inability to attach documents natively in the email app.

The security concern has been about viruses and hacking. It has nothing to do with people wanting to access files. Also, some people have no desire to access files. This is where the break between casual use (general consumer) and work phone happens. WP was initially built on the idea of general consumer first. It appears that it's starting to adopt the work phone functions now. Let's wait and see what comes. We haven't got a full picture yet. The SKD leak didn't provide a complete picture.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The point of a file manager would have been to solve all the file access related problems WP has. This is definitely not that solution. Hope I could clear that up for you.
Why is that not possible. From the file manager, one can choose a file and open its context menu. The menu can have an option like 'open with'. On selecting that option a list of apps installed on the phone which support the file extension can be shown just like in desktop Windows. The app chosen by the user can perform the related function on the file.
This is very simplistic and easily solves the file access problems.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anything is cleared up for anyone yet, as we don't know what this 'file picker' will actually look like. Let's wait and see.

If I were to trust an insight. I would trust A5cent over anyone else.

I'm leaning more toward his third point however. :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anything is cleared up for anyone yet, as we don't know what this 'file picker' will actually look like. Let's wait and see.

Agreed. I thought it was clear that I wasn't trying to explain the details of the upcoming solution, but why your 'Schadenfreude' was misplaced. ��

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why is that not possible. From the file manager, one can choose a file and open its context menu. The menu can have an option like 'open with'. On selecting that option a list of apps installed on the phone which support the file extension can be shown just like in desktop Windows. The app chosen by the user can perform the related function on the file.
This is very simplistic and easily solves the file access problems.

You're considering only the UI, in which case this issue seems trivial. There are a lot of (long) threads that try and explain some of the more important issues involved. The UI is the least important part of the random-file-access puzzle. Search for threads about a "file manager" if you want to read more.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think we should be able to browse the files on the phone, just like we can browse on PC when we connect the phone. That way, we can manage the files and wouldn't have a security issue at all also..

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
You're considering only the UI, in which case this issue seems trivial. There are a lot of (long) threads that try and explain some of the more important issues involved. The UI is the least important part of the random-file-access puzzle. Search for threads about a "file manager" if you want to read more.
Okay, I seriously want to ask you-Can you direct me towards a thread showing the problems related to file access? It's very hard to search each & every thread as there are too many of them & I don't have a fast internet connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss