Wp 8.1 File Manager

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Have patience guys, nobody would have imagined that one day IE Mobile would be able to download and most importantly upload the files, this is big, really BIG.

It's now 2014. Windows Phone 7 came out in 2010. Microsoft has had 4 years, and in tech terms, 4 years is 4 generations.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I know that for security reasons there will be no FileManager, but it's mandatory to have one only on OneDrive , because it's a critical feature that's I used to on my old Nokias especially when replying to e-mails and want attach documents.

BR

BlackBerry 10 has a file manager and there are no security risks.

Android has a file manager and there are no security risks.

ChromeOS has a file manager and there are no security risks.

Heck, even Windows RT has a file manager and there are no security risks.

What gains in security has Microsoft fed you guys into believing by disabling your ability to use your device as you see fit? They're ruling you with fear, and none of you are the wiser.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
DroidKungFu,GingerWarrior,and many more :p

Mobile virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Android is the king of malware and viruses.

Nice source.

This page has some issues.

This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)

I'll elaborate since nobody else has the ability to.

Firstly, you only listed two. There's only a few cases of Android malware, and all of them occured in foreign markets where the Google Play Store does not exist. Also, the examples you listed, existed on the ancient 2.3 version of Android. That's like me pointing out how many viruses exist on Windows XP and claiming how unsafe Windows is.

Second, a user really has to go out of their way for malware to exist on Android. 1) The user has to download the malware. 2) The user has to accept and install the malware. 3) In order for 1 or 2 to happen in the first place, the user has to give the phone developer options and enable installing apk's from third party sources, which is disabled by default. This option should only be checked if you're a developer and know what you're doing, hence why it's hidden away from the average user, and the average user will never even know or hear of it (also why most Kindle users don't realize you can just install apk's from the Google Play Store by sideloading it). In other words, the average user will NEVER have malware.

Third, you neglected the fact that BlackBerry 10 has a file manager but no security risks. ChromeOS has a file manager but no security risks. Windows RT has a file manager but no security risks. And even though 99% of malicious hackers target Android, the only way malware can be installed is if the user downloads and installs and gives it permission to install. Which really isn't any different than going on IE on WP8 and entering your information onto a malicious site. It all comes down to user error.

So, I guess this all comes down to subjective choice, since WP8 lovers cower in fear of all these nonexistent security risks. You go ahead and connect your phone to your PC every time you want to move a file. I'll just do it on my phone, since I like to be mobile.

Last edited:

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see add the following file access features that I can use in my WP8 programs:

1. A "Public" folder that's accessible from any app. This would include SD cards, etc.

2. An "ISV Common" folder that any of and only my apps can access. This is where I would store downloaded information that can be shared between just my apps.

3. A FilePicker API that I fire up to let my users load various configuration files. It should work seamlessly with the Public and SkyDrive folders. It's ridiculous that I had to use the Live SDK to write a FilePicker for SkyDrive.

In all cases their should be zero, nada, zilch access to system files (they shouldn't be enumerated and should be blocked completely at the kernel level).

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I feel that the availability of viruses in an ecosystem is irrelevant as the fact whether it has a file manager or not, since even the iPhone has viruses, and it does not have a file manager.

I would still like to have a file manager though,irrespective of viruses.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh hey look what I found on the same site.

Windows Mobile Virus - NetQin Mobile Virus Detection Center

So much for the argument that no file manager = security.

I'm not sure if this is including WP, but judging by the found dates at least some were on Windows Mobile. WM certainly did have a file manager. In fact, you could even edit the registry, similar to a PC.

That said, I am firmly on your side. I do not believe that a file manager automatically adds a huge security risk. I also believe that Android's reported insecurities are mostly due to the security companies' hype in order to increase sales. I've never heard of it in the real world, reported on the news or anything. I've only read about it in places like Bitdefender's Twitter posts, and the anti-Google crowd such as right here on WPCentral. I'm sure it exists, at least in theory, but I don't think it's nearly the problem it's made out to be. Our Windows PCs are by far the most exploited desktop platform available, and yet Windows has and is maintaining a 90% market share.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Give me the name of one virus found on Android.

If you would have claimed that security companies tend to overdramatize the actual security risk on Android, or that the actual threat depends greatly on where users live, what app stores they use, and how well versed users are with technology, then I would have agreed with you.

What you actually claimed was: "There are no security risks on Android."

While there is no need to overdramatize the actual risks, your opposite claim is even more ridiculous. Sorry, but in my view you've completely discredited yourself by taking such an extreme position.

Anyway, it seems you have made up your mind and will happily ignore all evidence refuting your position, so I see no reason why I should do your homework for you, not to mention that giving you names is a bit meaningless. Many security companies tend to make up their own names, so there is no real standard.

But just in case you really can't access Google, I'll provide the first two URL's I stumbled upon, nothing special (the second one contains the name you wanted):

Juniper Networks - Juniper Networks Finds Mobile Threats Continue Rampant Growth as Attackers Become More Entrepreneurial
https://www.securelist.com/en/blog/8106/The_most_sophisticated_Android_Trojan

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe that a file manager automatically adds a huge security risk.

That depends on what your definition of security is. Security is not just about minimizing the chance of malware infections across a network. It's also about keeping people's data private and safe, and malware is by far not the only threat to such things. Security even includes protecting users from themselves. It is a very large field.

I can even provide some anecdotal evidence from personal experience, explaining how the Windows file manager was instrumental in helping malware delete a few gigabytes worth of photographs. My girlfriend spent some time traveling Asia. She would occasionally stop by in internet caf?s to upload her travel documentation to the web, and to transfer her photographs from her camera to one of her USB drives. It was probably in such a caf? where she picked up malware, which was really just an executable file (*.exe) that had at some point been run on the infected host. The malware ensured that the windows file manager was configured to "not show file extensions for known file types". It then made all the folders on the USB drive "hidden", and then copied itself to the USB drive, once for every folder it had previously hidden, and in that process, took on the names of those folders.

This piece of malware was extremely trivial, just a normal exe file, with an icon that looked exactly like a Windows folder. Because the file extensions where hidden, she didn't realize that by clicking on the folder icon, she was not actually opening a folder, but rather launching a malware infested executable. Of course, the malware would then cause windows explorer to navigate to the corresponding hidden folder, so it didn't look like anything was wrong.

A few weeks later, when the USB drive was close to full, she clicked on the "folder" again, which caused it to delete all her photographs and to create an endless number of junk files in their place.

This was an extremely unsophisticated and low tech attack, and good for nothing except doing harm, but it is an example of how a file manager can play a role in compromising security. There are many far more sophisticated approaches.

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That depends on what your definition of security is. Security is not just about minimizing the chance of malware infection. It's also about keeping people's data private and safe, and malware is by far not the only threat to such things. Security even includes protecting users from themselves. It is a very large field.

I can even provide some anecdotal evidence from personal experience, explaining how the Windows file manager was instrumental in helping malware delete a few gigabytes worth of photographs. My girlfriend spent some time traveling Asia. She would occasionally stop by in internet caf?s to upload her travel documentation to the web, and to transfer her photographs from her camera to one of her USB drives. It was probably in such a caf? where she picked up malware, which was really just an executable file (*.exe) that had at some point been run on the infected host. The malware ensured that the windows file manager was configured to "not show file extensions for known file types". It then made all the folders on the USB drive "hidden", and then copied itself to the USB drive, once for every folder it had previously hidden, and in that process, took on the names of those folders.

This piece of malware was extremely trivial, just a normal exe file, with an icon that looked exactly like a Windows folder. Because the file extensions where hidden, she didn't realize that by clicking on the folder icon, she was not actually opening a folder, but rather launching a malware infested executable. Of course, the malware would then cause windows explorer to navigate to the corresponding hidden folder, so it didn't look like anything was wrong.

A few weeks later, when the USB drive was close to full, she clicked on the "folder" again, which caused it to delete all her photographs and to create an endless number of junk files in their place.

This was an extremely unsophisticated and low tech attack, and good for nothing except doing harm, but it is an example of how a file manager can play a role in compromising security. There are many far more sophisticated approaches.

But I highly doubt something like that would happen on a mobile device today. The worst that has ever happened with on my android devices is apps with a bunch of ads make random folders on your phones internal memory and store cache in the same area. Which I saw and deleted. I think more than anything though is Wp needs some type of file manager that can access whatever is in "other storage" that way a user can determine what they want to get rid of to create more space. This is one of the reasons I love android openness. There is an app called Clean Master and through this app you can delete cache, delete residual files from apps you downloaded and then uninstalled, and delete any large files that are taking up too much space. If something liek that was implemented on WP, the "other storage" problem would go away.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
If you would have claimed that security companies tend to overdramatize the actual security risk on Android, or that the actual threat depends greatly on where users lives, what app stores they use, and how well versed users are with technology, then I would have agreed with you.

What you actually claimed was: "There are no security risks on Android."

While there is no need to overdramatize the actual risks, your opposite claim is even more ridiculous. Sorry, but in my view you've completely discredited yourself by taking such an extreme position.

Anyway, it seems you have made up your mind and will happily ignore all evidence refuting your position, so I see no reason why I should do your homework for you, not to mention that giving you names is a bit meaningless. Many security companies tend to make up their own names, so there is no real standard.

But just in case you really can't access Google, I'll provide the first two URL's I stumbled upon, nothing special (the second one contains the name you wanted):

Juniper Networks - Juniper Networks Finds Mobile Threats Continue Rampant Growth as Attackers Become More Entrepreneurial
https://www.securelist.com/en/blog/8106/The_most_sophisticated_Android_Trojan

If you would have clearly read my further comments, maybe what you said would have any credit.

Nice source.

This page has some issues.

This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)

I'll elaborate since nobody else has the ability to.

Firstly, you only listed two. There's only a few cases of Android malware, and all of them occured in foreign markets where the Google Play Store does not exist. Also, the examples you listed, existed on the ancient 2.3 version of Android. That's like me pointing out how many viruses exist on Windows XP and claiming how unsafe Windows is.

Second, a user really has to go out of their way for malware to exist on Android. 1) The user has to download the malware. 2) The user has to accept and install the malware. 3) In order for 1 or 2 to happen in the first place, the user has to give the phone developer options and enable installing apk's from third party sources, which is disabled by default. This option should only be checked if you're a developer and know what you're doing, hence why it's hidden away from the average user, and the average user will never even know or hear of it (also why most Kindle users don't realize you can just install apk's from the Google Play Store by sideloading it). In other words, the average user will NEVER have malware.

Third, you neglected the fact that BlackBerry 10 has a file manager but no security risks. ChromeOS has a file manager but no security risks. Windows RT has a file manager but no security risks. And even though 99% of malicious hackers target Android, the only way malware can be installed is if the user downloads and installs and gives it permission to install. Which really isn't any different than going on IE on WP8 and entering your information onto a malicious site. It all comes down to user error.

So, I guess this all comes down to subjective choice, since WP8 lovers cower in fear of all these nonexistent security risks. You go ahead and connect your phone to your PC every time you want to move a file. I'll just do it on my phone, since I like to be mobile.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey A895, you're missing the point.

Listen, very few are able to conceive of how something like a file manager could possibly open up possibilities for misuse. The point is, just because we can't think of how that might work, doesn't mean those possibilities don't exist. I deliberately chose this example, because it is absolutely trivial. It can be understood with zero technical knowledge or development skills, yet we can't even think of that. How likely is it then, that we're also ignorant about many other, potentially far more sophisticated approaches? That is a rhetorical question, which is hopefully obvious ;-)

I read your earlier posts, and I completely agree that you have a valid issue that deserves to get a solution. But as with many others, I disagree that a file manager is the best possible approach. Unfortunately, I can't address every one of these issues, as I'd be typing all day... I can type fast, but not that fast. ;-)

In essence, the problem with the ridiculous "other folder" is not that we can't make it go away, but that it exists in the first place. I'll leave it at that...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss