Wp 8.1 File Manager

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think with WP8.1 we will see better development for WP and more interest from developers.

why do you think it will change with this release?

do you think users will be allowed to use their files as they wish?

(getting back on track from the iPhone distraction/deflection)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
why do you think it will change with this release?

do you think users will be allowed to use their files as they wish?

(getting back on track from the iPhone distraction/deflection)

Going by what's been published so far I think there will be better APIs available to make more interesting apps and functions. I'm thinking that things may be a bit looser than they have been which I think has been part of the issues with some apps and their development. I won't say all. So I see more exciting things coming.

As for file management. I'm thinking we'll see a file manager installed on top of Skydrive/OneDrive where you can access a certain file area on your phone and SD Card. Whether it will be what everyone wants, I don't know. We simply don't have enough detail. If it acts like Skydrive and allows you to create folders and access things the way people want then I see it as a good solution and we can all move forward from here. Hopefully apps will be able to utilise it like they do the regular Skydrive. I just hope no one thinks they're getting some full fledged file manager system cause we're not. It's going to be a sandboxed solution is what I'm thinking. Too many people expect a lot out of file managers but I don't think a phone really needs that high of level. We just need the basics and that should be good enough.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just hope no one thinks they're getting some full fledged file manager system cause we're not. It's going to be a sandboxed solution is what I'm thinking. Too many people expect a lot out of file managers but I don't think a phone really needs that high of level. We just need the basics and that should be good enough.

A screenshot of a file picker has also been floating around the web. I suspect that is our solution for attaching arbitrary files to e-mails. I haven't yet looked at the SDK, but I suspect each app will require some modifications before this works.

To me, it looks like WP8.1 will bring a combination of things:
  • Adding some file management capabilities to OneDrive seems to be a rather sure bet at this point
  • The File Picker is probably also something we can expect to see in the final build...
  • Maybe more...
~

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Going by what's been published so far I think there will be better APIs available to make more interesting apps and functions. I'm thinking that things may be a bit looser than they have been which I think has been part of the issues with some apps and their development. I won't say all. So I see more exciting things coming.

As for file management. I'm thinking we'll see a file manager installed on top of Skydrive/OneDrive where you can access a certain file area on your phone and SD Card. Whether it will be what everyone wants, I don't know. We simply don't have enough detail. If it acts like Skydrive and allows you to create folders and access things the way people want then I see it as a good solution and we can all move forward from here. Hopefully apps will be able to utilise it like they do the regular Skydrive. I just hope no one thinks they're getting some full fledged file manager system cause we're not. It's going to be a sandboxed solution is what I'm thinking. Too many people expect a lot out of file managers but I don't think a phone really needs that high of level. We just need the basics and that should be good enough.

man, I hope you're wrong. I don't think a stripped down version is going to gather much attention, or satisfy what people are asking for.

but, we'll see

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
  • Adding some file management capabilities to OneDrive seems to be a rather sure bet at this point

I've been reading rumors of at least a limited file explorer in OneDrive. I'm wondering though how that's going to work on local storage. Is the idea that OneDrive will manage the local libraries as well?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Although my predictions relating to file access on WP seem to have been accurate (at least based on the limited info from the SDK leaks so far), I wouldn't know how to guess at the details of MS' chosen solutions. I can think of more than a dozen ways how MS might approach the topic, but yes, that is the general idea. I could imagine you'd see the OneDrive root folder when a WP8.1 device is plugged into a PC. It might also contain the Music and Video folders, but set to "not sync" by default. Just wild speculation though...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
man, I hope you're wrong. I don't think a stripped down version is going to gather much attention, or satisfy what people are asking for.

but, we'll see

I think a striped down version is the only option. It's the best compromise between function and security. Giving the best of both worlds. It will satisfy those who need some form of file manager and those who could care less. We're not going to get an Android like file manager, maybe if they finally jailbreak the OS it will come but I wouldn't bother with that anyway.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty obvious that the WP 8.1 file manager is meant for viewing and *maybe* moving around media, e.g. music, videos, documents, photos, etc. What else could most people be doing on their phones besides consuming and managing content?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty obvious that the WP 8.1 file manager is meant for viewing and *maybe* moving around media, e.g. music, videos, documents, photos, etc. What else could most people be doing on their phones besides consuming and managing content?

creating content, editing it, converting it, sharing it ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
creating content, editing it, converting it, sharing it ?

Well, the creating, editing and sharing already happens. Not sure what you mean by converting or why you'd want to do that on a phone anyway.

I guess people have high expectations of what a phone should do. Regardless if it's a good idea or not.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I think they have an intern managing the user voice site. Obviously something (actually a couple of things) are coming in WP8.1. We've seen a few pictures and even a video of the file picker. We've heard repeatedly about some extra options for SD card support and deeper OneDrive integration. I think we can be rather confident about those things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss