01-29-2015 05:14 AM
122 1234 ...
tools
    I absolutely don't think it's a bad idea to give people options. This could be a huge selling point for WP if they implement it.
    02-12-2014 08:01 PM
    I don't think that wallpaper would distract from the tiles.Transparency is a bad idea. But option to change the backgraound with a wallpaper would attract new users to wp. With the option for wallpapers you can if you like choose a solid colour, you don't need to choose a picture.
    The point is let the user decide what look he wants to have on his wp.
    02-12-2014 08:11 PM
    I would like to see this as well... Even though it can look ugly it would shut up many fandroids claiming that WP does not allow one to customize. I have seen some android phones from friends, they wanna tinker, try to make it an eye candy, and the resulting look only looks good for a couple of days and thn something new... wasting their time to customize all the time, buying themes and launchers and what not... Basically they are never happy with how their phone looks... After a while that all looks plain ugly with non matching icons and unreadable menus. The worst part is they still keep saying WP does not allow customization... I would like them to shut up... Besides, RT has some background options with slight animations (like the gears and dragon) and they don't look bad at all..
    02-12-2014 09:09 PM
    If they are such fandroids, or if a wallpaper is so important a feature, then stick with Android I say. Lock screen is great for an image. Colours fine for the Start Screen!
    Guytronic and Old_Cus like this.
    02-13-2014 12:42 AM
    I think You are right, transparency is not gonna happen because it not fits the modern ui.
    But even without, backgrounds can help to give the user some more eyecandy (something many people want). Simple Wallpapers work still pretty well !
    Would ki#* to make my Lumia look like that at the moment, cant stand the same tile color & black background any longer...
    Think of a new animation for the lockscreen, instead of pulling the picture up you pull your tiles into view so the wallpaper stays !
    wp_81.png
    Last edited by wiggum15; 02-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    meddyrainzo and Dadstar0410 like this.
    02-13-2014 01:32 AM
    If they are such fandroids, or if a wallpaper is so important a feature, then stick with Android I say. Lock screen is great for an image. Colours fine for the Start Screen!
    You know it's talk like this that I find really silly/ If you want this, then leave WP. How is WP supposed to grow with comments like these? Instead of providing the option to those that want it, MS should tell them to switch to another platform? Sigh, sometimes I think it's the WP users that are causing some of the WP problems
    Iki Taba, Donny James and ohgood like this.
    02-13-2014 07:33 AM
    New colors asap, cyan has bored me to hell, and it's only good looking option for me.

A shade of blue like this one would be perfect..

blue by borislozac, on Flickr
    wiggum15 likes this.
    02-13-2014 07:42 AM
    I think You are right, transparency is not gonna happen because it not fits the modern ui.
    But even without, backgrounds can help to give the user some more eyecandy (something many people want). Simple Wallpapers work still pretty well !
    Would ki#* to make my Lumia look like that at the moment, cant stand the same tile color & black background any longer...
    Think of a new animation for the lockscreen, instead of pulling the picture up you pull your tiles into view so the wallpaper stays !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_81.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	56920
    That is the best idea I've read on the forums all day. Kudos. I love that idea because it makes more sense with the gestures and animations of the Windows platform. However, it's not like that on Windows 8.1. Hopefully Update 1 will change that so WP8.1 can add the "pull up the tiles" unlock feature.

I'm regards to a wallpaper on the Start Screen, I support it. You guys are assuming every picture looks perfect as an Android wallpaper. That is not true at all! Obviously the consumer has some responsibility in picking a wallpaper that isn't too busy; a busy wallpaper looks terrible on any device, period. This night sky wallpaper that wiggum used is a great example of a wallpaper that is both attractive and empty enough to not distract the user. These are the wallpapers that would look great on WP8.1 as well as on Android or iOS.
    wiggum15 likes this.
    02-13-2014 08:04 AM
    As people have said, it doesn't hurt to have options. If you don't like it you can stick to what WP looks like now.

And we should have a slider to choose the accent colors rather than picking from the preset.
    02-13-2014 08:05 AM
    Have the silly options as long as I can shut them off.

I can care less one way of the other if this is implemented. Whatever make the masses happy. I'm not voting for it though.
    02-13-2014 08:12 AM
    I can care less one way of the other if this is implemented.
    Can't* :D
    Last edited by Dadstar0410; 02-13-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    02-13-2014 08:39 AM
    Let me have more accents and theme colors. Give me the option, MS. I've been on WP way too long to not care about this. *I don't use the white accent due to conserving battery.
    02-13-2014 08:54 AM
    New colors asap, cyan has bored me to hell, and it's only good looking option for me.
    Looks like we have the same problem. Cyan is the only good looking color for me too but after one year i starting to hate it...
    Like your color, ms cant tell me its a problem to include more cool colors like that !
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    02-13-2014 09:17 AM
    *I don't use the white accent due to conserving battery.
    Only if you have amoled screen, on LCD it doesn't matter black or white..
    02-13-2014 09:25 AM
    Can't* :D
    No, my language is correct. Not sure what you're trying to imply.
    02-13-2014 09:37 AM
    Only if you have amoled screen, on LCD it doesn't matter black or white..
    I love the white background on my Lumia 521. Makes everything seem cheerier. LOL.
    02-13-2014 09:54 AM
    I don't get people that are against every change. I mean the option to change the background can't hurt anyone. What's with all the silly people that say choose another OS if you want options,like said before how can the OS grow without evolving.
    02-13-2014 10:09 AM
    I don't get people that are against every change. I mean the option to change the background can't hurt anyone. What's with all the silly people that say choose another OS if you want options,like said before how can the OS grow without evolving.
    Because that wouldn't be WP anymore honestly.. It makes live-tiles concept useless then, they would have to separate the space beatween tiles and all that, and then you have another Android looking OS. Maybe a few more colors besides black and white, sure.. but wallpaper, no...
    Old_Cus and Blu3V3nom07 like this.
    02-13-2014 10:14 AM
    Because that wouldn't be WP anymore honestly.. It makes live-tiles concept useless then, they would have to separate the space beatween tiles and all that, and then you have another Android looking OS. Maybe a few more colors besides black and white, sure.. but wallpaper, no...
    I say give all the freedom...colours, wallpapers...those that like it would use it.
    Windows 8 has wallpapers so I don't see why not. I may not use wallpapers and would just like to change the background colour but give it to those that want it
    ohgood likes this.
    02-13-2014 11:21 AM
    I say give all the freedom...colours, wallpapers...those that like it would use it.
    Windows 8 has wallpapers so I don't see why not. I may not use wallpapers and would just like to change the background colour but give it to those that want it
    It doesn't work like that. You already have that kind of OS, "we have no idea how to make it nice and cluster free so you go on and play with it". It would just become another Android if everyone can change everything..
    Old_Cus likes this.
    02-13-2014 12:03 PM
    To me it's more about Microsoft resources. Desktop background is so far down the list of things I want that I don't want them to spend time on it. It just wouldn't be as useful as other things.
    02-13-2014 12:12 PM
    Just look at it that way:
    Those black and white backgrounds are also some kind of wallpaper...just with a single color.
    If you enable other background colors like blue/yellow ect. why not just let the user choose a picture too ? I dont get why this would make livetiles useless...
    And i cant imagine that this would take months to code, so i dont get it why some say that MS should not "waste" time on it.
    02-13-2014 12:27 PM
    Just look at it that way:
    Those black and white backgrounds are also some kind of wallpaper...just with a single color.
    If you enable other background colors like blue/yellow ect. why not just let the user choose a picture too ? I dont get why this would make livetiles useless...
    And i cant imagine that this would take months to code, so i dont get it why some say that MS should not "waste" time on it.
    But how will you see the image if the screen is 90 percent covered by tiles..
    Marlon Bu likes this.
    02-13-2014 12:40 PM
    I dislike the idea of wallpapers on WP8.

I dislike the idea of change and progress in general.

Let's keep everything as simple as possible and as system-resource-free as possible. No backgrounds to worry about. No colors, just black and white for everything. In fact I don't even like the Live Tiles, just make it a static image so it uses up less RAM. Let's make every Windows phone consume as little processing power as possible so we can get the best battery life possible.

Like another poster said, look at what Microsoft did when they introduced Aero on Windows Vista - it required all systems to have at least 1 GB of RAM to be fluid. What a waste. Windows 95 was the best Windows OS by far, with its simple, classic, no eye-candy design. You could run an entire computer on Windows 95 with only 256 MB of RAM - now that's efficiency. Let's go back to the good ol' days.

If you disagree, just buy an Android.
    02-13-2014 12:51 PM
    But how will you see the image if the screen is 90 percent covered by tiles..
    Thats the problem of the user, look at my screenshot above, looks great for me and i see enough of the wallpaper so whats the problem ?

@Geodude074
    Sarcasm ?
    Going back to a old Nokia 3310 may be the solution ?
    Iki Taba likes this.
    02-13-2014 12:55 PM
122 1234 ...