01-29-2015 05:14 AM
122 12345
tools
    Give "Skinery Themes" a try. It may help you getting rid of some tiles by replacing them with others with a colour or image of your choice.
    I am in the same boat as you, I'm sick of the current bright flashy accent colours. I always go to Nokia whenever I buy a Lumia to ask them to flash the Deutsche Telekom software just to get access to the dark grey accent colour so I can at least look at the phone more often. But that comes at the price of being dependent on Deutsche Telekom to release the updates.

I think wallpapers in the background and a colour pallet should come with 8.1 just like they came with Windows 8.1. It makes no sense to keep restricting the phones customization when you sell the phones under the motto "world's most personal smartphone".
    Some people don't like the idea of background in the start screen? Don't use them.
    But don't deny the option to those who would like them, regardless of your opinion if it resembles Android or not.
    02-13-2014 01:02 PM
    I think You are right, transparency is not gonna happen because it not fits the modern ui.
    But even without, backgrounds can help to give the user some more eyecandy (something many people want). Simple Wallpapers work still pretty well !
    Would ki#* to make my Lumia look like that at the moment, cant stand the same tile color & black background any longer...
    Think of a new animation for the lockscreen, instead of pulling the picture up you pull your tiles into view so the wallpaper stays !
    Attachment 56920
    While that is kinda stealing from iOS 7, it does look very pretty! (And anyways, iOS 7 sure did "borrow" a lot from Windows Phone...) With the right wallpaper, it actually looks very elegant and beautiful! Alright, I support. Basically, I want our background options to be exactly the same as they currently are on Windows 8.1.

I personally would only change my accent color and the background color (using the same color picker as found in Windows 8.1), but opening up backgrounds for some could be nice also.
    02-13-2014 01:06 PM
    @ DJCBS
    Are you talking about Stahlgrau mein Freund ?

@SwimSwim
    I think thats because its a iOS7 Wallpaper...
    DJCBS likes this.
    02-13-2014 01:20 PM
    Love the idea of more color option for themes and background. But I don't want to put any wallpaper behind it.
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    02-13-2014 01:20 PM
    Thats the problem of the user, look at my screenshot above, looks great for me and i see enough of the wallpaper so whats the problem ?

@Geodude074
    Sarcasm ?
    Going back to a old Nokia 3310 may be the solution ?
    You are right maybe.. :)
    02-13-2014 01:27 PM
    Love the idea of more color option for themes and background. But I don't want to put any wallpaper behind it.
    And that's totally fine,I respect when you say "I don't want....". But I don't understand when people write "We don't need customisation". I mean it can't be that hard and resource hungry to make the option available for people that want to use it.
    wiggum15 likes this.
    02-13-2014 01:35 PM
    And that's totally fine,I respect when you say "I don't want....". But I don't understand when people write "We don't need customisation". I mean it can't be that hard and resource hungry to make the option available for people that want to use it.
    Some people just_don't_get_it.. It's like asking a BMW to paint you their car in pink or something, i'm sure they would refuse, cause it doesn't work with their brand, their concept, their idea of how a car should look like.. WP* wouldn't be this clean and simple looking anymore.. try and grasp that people.

Maybe something very discrete would work, something from MS/Nokia.. again, to work with what they imagined not what arm chair designers think it's good looking.
    anon5997296 and Residing like this.
    02-13-2014 02:02 PM
    Some people just_don't_get_it.. It's like asking a BMW to paint you their car in pink or something, i'm sure they would refuse, cause it doesn't work with their brand, their concept, their idea of how a car should look like.. WP* wouldn't be this clean and simple looking anymore.. try and grasp that people.

Maybe something very discrete would work, something from MS/Nokia.. again, to work with what they imagined not what arm chair designers think it's good looking.
    It's your money buying that car, why shouldn't you be able to paint it any color you want?

This whole concept of "Microsoft knows best" sounds vaguely familiar. Remember when the Xbox One was supposed to come with restrictive DRM licensing and you would need to be always online to play your games? Remember how well that worked out for Microsoft?

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! WE WANT OUR PINK BMW'S!
    Iki Taba likes this.
    02-13-2014 02:16 PM

Sorry, but that's just bull****.
    First of all you have a perfect example couple of pages back how nice it can look with a wallpaper. I'm sure nobody would put a wallpaper with a family photo on it.
    And second, you can even paint a Rolls Royce in pink. Why, because the most important thing should be a satisfied customer.
    Pozdrav.
    02-13-2014 02:18 PM
    Mhh i thought MS is going to bring Windows 8.1/RT/WP8.1 closer together ?
    MS wants to create a similar experience for the user no matter if he is using a desktop, tablet or phone.
    Windows 8.1 and RT have the ability to show a wallpaper behind the tiles so why should it not fit the design Microsoft had in mind ?

Look what people already do to their WP with all the tile customization, MS should us better give some well crafted customization option build into the OS !
    02-13-2014 02:34 PM
    I mean it can't be that hard and resource hungry to make the option available for people that want to use it.
    We really have no idea, do we?
    02-13-2014 03:07 PM

Wrong analogy here. We are asking MS for the option to use wallpapers. So it's like buying your car and taking it for a respray without getting sued by the car company. We aren't asking MS to put the wallpapers or background pictures for us, we asking for the option to change it if and when we want to!
    02-13-2014 03:11 PM
    PureMotion HD+ and 1520's display would shine brighter and be even more beautiful with a custom background.

Hope they take this suggestion for 8.1 ultimately.
    wiggum15 and Iki Taba like this.
    02-13-2014 03:15 PM
    We really have no idea, do we?
    If you do,than explaine me. I'm sure others would be interested too.
    02-13-2014 03:38 PM
    We aren't asking MS to put the wallpapers or background pictures for us, we asking for the option to change it if and when we want to!
    Again, you didn't get it.. and it was a good analogy. Right now, when you see a Windows Phone, you know it's windows phone, by the hardware, by capacitive buttons, and, by the unique style of tiles and black or white background. If you put Hello Kitty as a background it doesn't give that "oh it's WP8" impression anymore, it just looks like another random Galaxy Trend Plus LII Android phone..
    I don't buy that "customer is always right" bullshi* sorry. First it's backgrounds, then you'll want tiles to be rounder, to be 3D, etc etc.. and what you have then? A cluster fck and a stray from that whole idea and concept that they've imagined and want to have..
    Yes i customised the look of my Android a lot before, BUT, only cause it's **** ugly by default and has no visual style at all.. With WP8 i finally don't have to do that..
    anon5997296 and sahib lopez like this.
    02-13-2014 05:54 PM
    Again, you didn't get it.. and it was a good analogy. Right now, when you see a Windows Phone, you know it's windows phone, by the hardware, by capacitive buttons, and, by the unique style of tiles and black or white background. If you put Hello Kitty as a background it doesn't give that "oh it's WP8" impression anymore, it just looks like another random Galaxy Trend Plus LII Android phone..
    I don't buy that "customer is always right" bullshi* sorry. First it's backgrounds, then you'll want tiles to be rounder, to be 3D, etc etc.. and what you have then? A cluster fck and a stray from that whole idea and concept that they've imagined and want to have..
    Yes i customised the look of my Android a lot before, BUT, only cause it's **** ugly by default and has no visual style at all.. With WP8 i finally don't have to do that..
    So you want WP8 to look ugly by default with no option of making it look better?

Well, okay...
    02-13-2014 06:19 PM
    So you want WP8 to look ugly by default with no option of making it look better?

Well, okay...
    What?? It's beautifull by default, are you completely missing what i've said or what?

Anyways, i did a quick test.. i don't know, it might work with some backgrounds, but still..

wp wallapaper by borislozac, on Flickr
    02-13-2014 06:23 PM
    What?? It's beautifull by default, are you completely missing what i've said or what?

Anyways, i did a quick test.. i don't know, it might work with some backgrounds, but still..

https://v4s.yimg.com/sk/3713/1251026...dee014a3_o.png
    There you go, slowly we all get on the same page.
    02-13-2014 06:32 PM
    Nope, the black or white background doesn't define WP, the tiles do.
    02-13-2014 06:33 PM

https://v4s.yimg.com/sk/3713/1251026...dee014a3_o.png
    You see, choice isn't bad
    02-13-2014 06:34 PM
    You see, choice isn't bad
    Takes up space ;)
    02-13-2014 06:56 PM
    Beautifull by default i dont know. With such a minimalistic approach its easy to look clean by default, thats right.
    But looking at some WP i saw "out in the wild" or take a look here, some really did some awful things to WP while trying to recreate a background image with the tiles...
    Anyway, like i said:
    1. Background Images behind the tiles are possible in Windows 8.1 and RT alrady.
    2. Windows wants to bring them closer together (look and feel)

Yes some wallpapers will look awful, but some people just dont have any taste. They make there Droid look awful and will get the same done with WP or already raping WP (take a look in the thread i linked).
    svenhassel and Boris Lozac like this.
    02-14-2014 03:02 AM
    Well i like blue colour so i only can use teal,cyan and cobalt which don't really fit my style...I would like to see an RGB Colour picker so you can choose ANY colour you want...But i don't really care about the background i like it as is...
    02-14-2014 04:15 AM
    Mhh, i dont have teal on my Lumia, isn't that Samsung exclusive ?
    02-14-2014 04:36 AM
    if u got a lumia it should the last one from the first row-L520 MTN user
    02-14-2014 04:44 AM
122 12345