WP needs more (modern) accent colors and background options !

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Ability to choose Background colours I agree with, and more choice for Accent colours, but keep the images for the lock screen where they will not be obscured by tiles, and will not hit the battery life.
[url]http://i.minus.com/jbxOUgI0AA2qEU.png[/URL]

Blocked by Tiles, maybe.
But on the other mobil OS (Android, iOS) they are blocked by stuff too (widgets, icons) and still anyone uses a wallpaper !
Anyone i showed my WP asked me "why do you just have a black wallpaer ?"....i told them its not possible to use on and they were like "uhhh thats bad".

Tile colors, thats something i really hate MS for. I mean why so little selection and why did they choose the most ugly standard colors ?
I mean brown ?? pukegreen ?? attackingorange ?? blindingblue ??
Whats wrong with them ?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ability to choose Background colours I agree with, and more choice for Accent colours, but keep the images for the lock screen where they will not be obscured by tiles, and will not hit the battery life.
[url]http://i.minus.com/jbxOUgI0AA2qEU.png[/URL]

Love the concept, looks great!

And yes, I agree the options should expand to at least be on par with Windows 8.1. However, I disagree with background pictures on the lock screen (just not enough space to appreciate an image, plus it distracts from the Tiles). I also heavily disagree with adding transparency to Live Tiles.

Microsoft has declared the Aero theme dead, that also means the death of transparency. Besides, transparency adds (in my option) very little to the overall design, while hogging resources and battery life. Solid colors is far more modern, bold, and simple. You know, exactly what Metro is all about? ;)

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that wallpaper would distract from the tiles.Transparency is a bad idea. But option to change the backgraound with a wallpaper would attract new users to wp. With the option for wallpapers you can if you like choose a solid colour, you don't need to choose a picture.
The point is let the user decide what look he wants to have on his wp.

anon(5352534)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see this as well... Even though it can look ugly it would shut up many fandroids claiming that WP does not allow one to customize. I have seen some android phones from friends, they wanna tinker, try to make it an eye candy, and the resulting look only looks good for a couple of days and thn something new... wasting their time to customize all the time, buying themes and launchers and what not... Basically they are never happy with how their phone looks... After a while that all looks plain ugly with non matching icons and unreadable menus. The worst part is they still keep saying WP does not allow customization... I would like them to shut up... Besides, RT has some background options with slight animations (like the gears and dragon) and they don't look bad at all..

mdtauk

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
If they are such fandroids, or if a wallpaper is so important a feature, then stick with Android I say. Lock screen is great for an image. Colours fine for the Start Screen!

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I think You are right, transparency is not gonna happen because it not fits the modern ui.
But even without, backgrounds can help to give the user some more eyecandy (something many people want). Simple Wallpapers work still pretty well !
Would ki#* to make my Lumia look like that at the moment, cant stand the same tile color & black background any longer...
Think of a new animation for the lockscreen, instead of pulling the picture up you pull your tiles into view so the wallpaper stays !
wp_81.png

Last edited:

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If they are such fandroids, or if a wallpaper is so important a feature, then stick with Android I say. Lock screen is great for an image. Colours fine for the Start Screen!
You know it's talk like this that I find really silly/ If you want this, then leave WP. How is WP supposed to grow with comments like these? Instead of providing the option to those that want it, MS should tell them to switch to another platform? Sigh, sometimes I think it's the WP users that are causing some of the WP problems

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think You are right, transparency is not gonna happen because it not fits the modern ui.
But even without, backgrounds can help to give the user some more eyecandy (something many people want). Simple Wallpapers work still pretty well !
Would ki#* to make my Lumia look like that at the moment, cant stand the same tile color & black background any longer...
Think of a new animation for the lockscreen, instead of pulling the picture up you pull your tiles into view so the wallpaper stays !
View attachment 56920

That is the best idea I've read on the forums all day. Kudos. I love that idea because it makes more sense with the gestures and animations of the Windows platform. However, it's not like that on Windows 8.1. Hopefully Update 1 will change that so WP8.1 can add the "pull up the tiles" unlock feature.

I'm regards to a wallpaper on the Start Screen, I support it. You guys are assuming every picture looks perfect as an Android wallpaper. That is not true at all! Obviously the consumer has some responsibility in picking a wallpaper that isn't too busy; a busy wallpaper looks terrible on any device, period. This night sky wallpaper that wiggum used is a great example of a wallpaper that is both attractive and empty enough to not distract the user. These are the wallpapers that would look great on WP8.1 as well as on Android or iOS.

blackout2005

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
As people have said, it doesn't hurt to have options. If you don't like it you can stick to what WP looks like now.

And we should have a slider to choose the accent colors rather than picking from the preset.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Have the silly options as long as I can shut them off.

I can care less one way of the other if this is implemented. Whatever make the masses happy. I'm not voting for it though.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Let me have more accents and theme colors. Give me the option, MS. I've been on WP way too long to not care about this. *I don't use the white accent due to conserving battery.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
New colors asap, cyan has bored me to hell, and it's only good looking option for me.

Looks like we have the same problem. Cyan is the only good looking color for me too but after one year i starting to hate it...
Like your color, ms cant tell me its a problem to include more cool colors like that !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos