WP needs more (modern) accent colors and background options !

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't get people that are against every change. I mean the option to change the background can't hurt anyone. What's with all the silly people that say choose another OS if you want options,like said before how can the OS grow without evolving.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't get people that are against every change. I mean the option to change the background can't hurt anyone. What's with all the silly people that say choose another OS if you want options,like said before how can the OS grow without evolving.

Because that wouldn't be WP anymore honestly.. It makes live-tiles concept useless then, they would have to separate the space beatween tiles and all that, and then you have another Android looking OS. Maybe a few more colors besides black and white, sure.. but wallpaper, no...

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Because that wouldn't be WP anymore honestly.. It makes live-tiles concept useless then, they would have to separate the space beatween tiles and all that, and then you have another Android looking OS. Maybe a few more colors besides black and white, sure.. but wallpaper, no...

I say give all the freedom...colours, wallpapers...those that like it would use it.
Windows 8 has wallpapers so I don't see why not. I may not use wallpapers and would just like to change the background colour but give it to those that want it

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I say give all the freedom...colours, wallpapers...those that like it would use it.
Windows 8 has wallpapers so I don't see why not. I may not use wallpapers and would just like to change the background colour but give it to those that want it

It doesn't work like that. You already have that kind of OS, "we have no idea how to make it nice and cluster free so you go on and play with it". It would just become another Android if everyone can change everything..

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

To me it's more about Microsoft resources. Desktop background is so far down the list of things I want that I don't want them to spend time on it. It just wouldn't be as useful as other things.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Just look at it that way:
Those black and white backgrounds are also some kind of wallpaper...just with a single color.
If you enable other background colors like blue/yellow ect. why not just let the user choose a picture too ? I dont get why this would make livetiles useless...
And i cant imagine that this would take months to code, so i dont get it why some say that MS should not "waste" time on it.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just look at it that way:
Those black and white backgrounds are also some kind of wallpaper...just with a single color.
If you enable other background colors like blue/yellow ect. why not just let the user choose a picture too ? I dont get why this would make livetiles useless...
And i cant imagine that this would take months to code, so i dont get it why some say that MS should not "waste" time on it.

But how will you see the image if the screen is 90 percent covered by tiles..

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I dislike the idea of wallpapers on WP8.

I dislike the idea of change and progress in general.

Let's keep everything as simple as possible and as system-resource-free as possible. No backgrounds to worry about. No colors, just black and white for everything. In fact I don't even like the Live Tiles, just make it a static image so it uses up less RAM. Let's make every Windows phone consume as little processing power as possible so we can get the best battery life possible.

Like another poster said, look at what Microsoft did when they introduced Aero on Windows Vista - it required all systems to have at least 1 GB of RAM to be fluid. What a waste. Windows 95 was the best Windows OS by far, with its simple, classic, no eye-candy design. You could run an entire computer on Windows 95 with only 256 MB of RAM - now that's efficiency. Let's go back to the good ol' days.

If you disagree, just buy an Android.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
But how will you see the image if the screen is 90 percent covered by tiles..

Thats the problem of the user, look at my screenshot above, looks great for me and i see enough of the wallpaper so whats the problem ?

@Geodude074
Sarcasm ?
Going back to a old Nokia 3310 may be the solution ?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Give "Skinery Themes" a try. It may help you getting rid of some tiles by replacing them with others with a colour or image of your choice.
I am in the same boat as you, I'm sick of the current bright flashy accent colours. I always go to Nokia whenever I buy a Lumia to ask them to flash the Deutsche Telekom software just to get access to the dark grey accent colour so I can at least look at the phone more often. But that comes at the price of being dependent on Deutsche Telekom to release the updates.

I think wallpapers in the background and a colour pallet should come with 8.1 just like they came with Windows 8.1. It makes no sense to keep restricting the phones customization when you sell the phones under the motto "world's most personal smartphone".
Some people don't like the idea of background in the start screen? Don't use them.
But don't deny the option to those who would like them, regardless of your opinion if it resembles Android or not.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think You are right, transparency is not gonna happen because it not fits the modern ui.
But even without, backgrounds can help to give the user some more eyecandy (something many people want). Simple Wallpapers work still pretty well !
Would ki#* to make my Lumia look like that at the moment, cant stand the same tile color & black background any longer...
Think of a new animation for the lockscreen, instead of pulling the picture up you pull your tiles into view so the wallpaper stays !
View attachment 56920

While that is kinda stealing from iOS 7, it does look very pretty! (And anyways, iOS 7 sure did "borrow" a lot from Windows Phone...) With the right wallpaper, it actually looks very elegant and beautiful! Alright, I support. Basically, I want our background options to be exactly the same as they currently are on Windows 8.1.

I personally would only change my accent color and the background color (using the same color picker as found in Windows 8.1), but opening up backgrounds for some could be nice also.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
@ DJCBS
Are you talking about Stahlgrau mein Freund ? :smile:

@SwimSwim
I think thats because its a iOS7 Wallpaper... :wink:

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Love the idea of more color option for themes and background. But I don't want to put any wallpaper behind it.

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Love the idea of more color option for themes and background. But I don't want to put any wallpaper behind it.

And that's totally fine,I respect when you say "I don't want....". But I don't understand when people write "We don't need customisation". I mean it can't be that hard and resource hungry to make the option available for people that want to use it.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
And that's totally fine,I respect when you say "I don't want....". But I don't understand when people write "We don't need customisation". I mean it can't be that hard and resource hungry to make the option available for people that want to use it.

Some people just_don't_get_it.. It's like asking a BMW to paint you their car in pink or something, i'm sure they would refuse, cause it doesn't work with their brand, their concept, their idea of how a car should look like.. WP* wouldn't be this clean and simple looking anymore.. try and grasp that people.

Maybe something very discrete would work, something from MS/Nokia.. again, to work with what they imagined not what arm chair designers think it's good looking.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Some people just_don't_get_it.. It's like asking a BMW to paint you their car in pink or something, i'm sure they would refuse, cause it doesn't work with their brand, their concept, their idea of how a car should look like.. WP* wouldn't be this clean and simple looking anymore.. try and grasp that people.

Maybe something very discrete would work, something from MS/Nokia.. again, to work with what they imagined not what arm chair designers think it's good looking.

It's your money buying that car, why shouldn't you be able to paint it any color you want?

This whole concept of "Microsoft knows best" sounds vaguely familiar. Remember when the Xbox One was supposed to come with restrictive DRM licensing and you would need to be always online to play your games? Remember how well that worked out for Microsoft?

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! WE WANT OUR PINK BMW'S!

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, but that's just bull****.
First of all you have a perfect example couple of pages back how nice it can look with a wallpaper. I'm sure nobody would put a wallpaper with a family photo on it.
And second, you can even paint a Rolls Royce in pink. Why, because the most important thing should be a satisfied customer.
Pozdrav.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Mhh i thought MS is going to bring Windows 8.1/RT/WP8.1 closer together ?
MS wants to create a similar experience for the user no matter if he is using a desktop, tablet or phone.
Windows 8.1 and RT have the ability to show a wallpaper behind the tiles so why should it not fit the design Microsoft had in mind ?

Look what people already do to their WP with all the tile customization, MS should us better give some well crafted customization option build into the OS !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos