Why Cortana Won't be Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is the best idea anyone has ever come up with for a phone. I hate how sexualized cortana became in halo 4, I mean she was naked for crying out loud. But that doesn't change the awesomeness of having one of the most iconic video game characters as a personal assistant, who also happens to play that exact same role in the halo series. And the 'women don't want to talk to a sexy woman' argument is silly, I see women using siri all the dang time. P.S. I am one of those anti-gun people as well, still no problem. People need to realize that playing a game with guns and war does not mean the players want to shoot people in real life, quite the opposite in a lot of cases.

...Cortana has always been "naked".

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I do not believe Microsoft will call Fortuna, Cortana and here's why: the anti-gun lobby. I might not agree with their platform but they are growing and strong and associating a core technology/feature could spell disastrous for Microsoft. I think that is reason enough.

In addition, Cormany is definitely geared towards men and this type of technology should be comfortable for me and women. If you notice all of the screen mock-ups feature a woman's form (understand, because Fortuna is female) but it is undoubtedly a sexualized concept, to some degree, even if unconsciously so. I think Windows Phone has done a better job appealing to women than Android - would love to see stats to see if my observation holds up. I hope Microsoft continues down a gender neutral path or at least one that allows customization for either,. As a woman, I hated the masculinity of there Droid devices but always wanted the cutting edge technology. I love the white Nokia phones because they feel less masculine to me without compromising the technology.

I would imagine that these two reasons could be enough to sway Microsoft from using the name or images associated with Cortana.

Not sure about the Fortuna, Cormany references here, but its almost certain they wont use a name thats harder to pronounce. However in the game her character is anything but sexualized. Unfortunately blogs and gamers are using fan art that borders on the salacious side.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, what if they had, like Siri's Female/Male option, the choice between Cortana and Roland!
(if you haven't played Halo 4, Roland is the male AI aboard Infinity. Appears as a yellow-orange WWII (I think) pilot)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think much like the term "Metro" stuck I think we will be calling this Cortana no matter what the executive committee at Microsoft comes up with.

Apple removed most of Siri's personality in the last update. You never even hear the new version spoofed. Hopefully, Cortana will fill that void and have some personality.

Last edited:

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Why? No? I don't understand? Why do people find flaws in every thing I'm excited for, I will be hugely disappointed if the AI isn't called cortana.

Halo is pretty non violent compared to cod/bf/almost every other shooter. So that argument sucks imho

She's naked on the phone because people photoshopped a pic of her there. I doubt in visuals of Cortana will be there, just superintendent like faces.
In the games she's naked because she's not human, computer generated holograms don't normally have clothes to wear, and in the private areas she's drawn so you can't see anything, its just a purple human female form, that's all. Like a female in a wet suit. She's provocative ill admit in the game series sometimes but she wont be on the phone.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Care to elaborate your opinion there?

All I have to say is that WP would get some free marketing here if they used the name "Cortana."
I don't like it when corporations take a well-beloved entity or object out of its critically praised environment in which it is synonymous, to prostitute it out for the potential betterment of another product. Moreover, MS (not talking about Xbox) is not venerated in the gaming world, and the chances of MS ill-reputation (albeit unfairly perceived) bleeding over to the Halo franchise because of Cortana's now-ubiquitous branding, does not sit well......especially if WP's voice assistant does not live up to the hype. I don't care if MS owns the IP.

I admire MS and have been a stock holder for years, but I love the Halo IP much more. Some things are better left alone.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Some people think too much. I seriously doubt Cortana will demand people go out and shoot people and I doubt she will be flashing her boobs on the phone screen. She won't be Cortana because she will not be the same as in the game.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Read somewhere that its gonna be called "Kate"

In the registry, in the SDK, it has Kate listed under cortana voices. Tom Warren hinted that they are placeholders atm. I'll post his tweet later where he was talking to Roman about this. I'll post a screenshot of the registry as well.wp_ss_20140214_0004.jpg

wp_ss_20140214_0001.jpg

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If not Cortana, then they should create a frisky awesome character out of the blue. Name him Lynx and let him pass snarky comments at users who use Google Search or Maps on Windows Phone and Windows. That little talking mouth avatar would be cool, just give it spiky lynx ears.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I want my Cortana to be crazy rampant Cortana. I want her to freak out every so often.. Man! Halo 4 Cortana was sexy.

I'm gonna call my wife Cortana tonight... Happy Valentines, baby!

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Nobody knows for sure. There are hurdles that have been written about that need/would need to be overcome.

Would be sweet, and broaden the user base. How many Halo fans would come to Windows Phone and ditch Apple/Android for Cortana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers