Why Cortana Won't be Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I do not believe Microsoft will call Fortuna, Cortana and here's why: the anti-gun lobby. I might not agree with their platform but they are growing and strong and associating a core technology/feature could spell disastrous for Microsoft. I think that is reason enough.

In addition, Cormany is definitely geared towards men and this type of technology should be comfortable for me and women. If you notice all of the screen mock-ups feature a woman's form (understand, because Fortuna is female) but it is undoubtedly a sexualized concept, to some degree, even if unconsciously so. I think Windows Phone has done a better job appealing to women than Android - would love to see stats to see if my observation holds up. I hope Microsoft continues down a gender neutral path or at least one that allows customization for either,. As a woman, I hated the masculinity of there Droid devices but always wanted the cutting edge technology. I love the white Nokia phones because they feel less masculine to me without compromising the technology.

I would imagine that these two reasons could be enough to sway Microsoft from using the name or images associated with Cortana.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but what does the name Cortana have to do with the anti-gun lobby?

Also there is no way the final form of Cortana will use any type of female form as shown in the mock ups. Those mock ups were made by the websites to give some reference to where the name Cortana is originating from. The only gender specific aspect of the feature may be the voice, but I wouldn't consider a female voice assistant as sexualized.

I hope the rumors that MS are trying to name the feature as Cortana turn out to be true and happen in the end. It's not a bad name, and could be a little wink to their gamer fanbase.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but what does the name Cortana have to do with the anti-gun lobby?

Also there is no way the final form of Cortana will use any type of female form as shown in the mock ups. Those mock ups were made by the websites to give some reference to where the name Cortana is originating from. The only gender specific aspect of the feature may be the voice, but I wouldn't consider a female voice assistant as sexualized.

I hope the rumors that MS are trying to name the feature as Cortana turn out to be true and happen in the end. It's not a bad name, and could be a little wink to their gamer fanbase.
I wondered about the anti-gun lobby reference, too. Another reason that whatever Cortana ends up being called will not take on the form that we're seeing in the images is that there are some countries where such an image is vulgar and illegal. Microsoft isn't going to alienate them.

For me, it doesn't matter what "she" is called - I'm not a gamer so I have no attachment to the name. :wink:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you notice all of the screen mock-ups feature a woman's form (understand, because Fortuna is female) but it is undoubtedly a sexualized concept, to some degree, even if unconsciously so.

A sexualized Cortana definitely didn't come about by accident. It helps tremendously in selling stuff to teenage boys. You have nothing to worry about though. Even if it retains the name Cortana, you won't see a female silhouette anywhere.

Last edited:

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
If its customizable it would be perfect for each and everyone. I would want mine to call me Chief and look like Scarlet Johanson

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
ITT: Someone trying to justify distaste for females in revealing clothes because they're not of a similar figure. Reaching way too far.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I wondered about the anti-gun lobby reference, too. Another reason that whatever Cortana ends up being called will not take on the form that we're seeing in the images is that there are some countries where such an image is vulgar and illegal. Microsoft isn't going to alienate them.

For me, it doesn't matter what "she" is called - I'm not a gamer so I have no attachment to the name. :wink:

In the end, the name should matter very little. However with the Cortana name, they can get some free attention just by association. If they can get an assistant to use Jen Taylor's voice and be called Cortana, that would get some gamers to at least look at the platform/feature, no matter the quality of the feature.

ITT: Someone trying to justify distaste for females in revealing clothes because they're not of a similar figure. Reaching way too far.

That's harsh. There could be a number of legit and well-intended reasons she has a problem with how the Cortana has been featured in articles. It doesn't necessarily have to do with her figure.

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I also want to know what anti-gun has to do with this.

And yeah, very little has leaked about what Windows Phone 8.1's AI personal assistant will look like. Almost entirely rumor and speculation at the moment. However, I believe it was on this site's very blog where an article appeared, detailing the "Cortana" will show emotion and stuff via very simple emoticon faces. The mock-up kind of reminded me of Hello Kitty, to be honest. Very simple. As such, anyone who would consider it "sexist" would be a complete moron, and I wouldn't want them on our platform anyways.

I also personally support the name Cortana. I think it sounds pretty awesome, and Halo is a very popular brand. Microsoft has a popular brand name to exploit, why not use it?

adv1701

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the anti-gun thing comes from people saying Halo is uber violent and not appropriate for all.ages. Thereby naming the assistant after it would glorify violence. Poppycock I say but the PC crowd carries a big megaphone.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I just hope she will talk to me using a British female accent :wink:. I have done that to HERE Drive and I like being told to enter the motorway.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Now = Has the word now, they must change it not to offend procrastinators
Siri = has "sir" in name, Apple has to change it to please femenists

Logic, ya know?

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Cortana is the best idea anyone has ever come up with for a phone. I hate how sexualized cortana became in halo 4, I mean she was naked for crying out loud. But that doesn't change the awesomeness of having one of the most iconic video game characters as a personal assistant, who also happens to play that exact same role in the halo series. And the 'women don't want to talk to a sexy woman' argument is silly, I see women using siri all the dang time. P.S. I am one of those anti-gun people as well, still no problem. People need to realize that playing a game with guns and war does not mean the players want to shoot people in real life, quite the opposite in a lot of cases.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
MS needs to sell crap. Naming this Cortana and marketing it will be a huge selling point to a big contingent of buyers who already have a favorable view of MS via Xbox. It should be a no brainer.

If the lawyers get involved and screw it up, shame on MS. They deserve to fail.

A big anti-gun driven media campaign would be the best thing that could happen for WP, it'd get non-device geeks taking about it more than any ad campaign would. And sane people would realize that the association is ridiculous.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cortana won't be Cortana because
1. It is not the 2550's
2. Dr. Catherine Halsey has not been born yet.
"We'll be paired with a different AI, it won't be her"

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the anti-gun thing comes from people saying Halo is uber violent and not appropriate for all.ages. Thereby naming the assistant after it would glorify violence. Poppycock I say but the PC crowd carries a big megaphone.

"uber violent"
that's funny, it always was one of the tamer shooters, at least IMO

but honestly, I wouldn't care, you can't do anything without offending someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs