03-01-2014 08:07 PM
140 ... 456
tools
    For some reason I cant post links but (for those interested) there's a picture on WMPoweruser (take it with a grain of salt cause that site is not trustworthy) of the WP8.1 start screen
    03-01-2014 09:05 AM
    Why am i getting vibes that you already know about those "handful surprises"..??
    Do You..??
    03-01-2014 09:38 AM
    Warren posted the first look of cortana
    03-01-2014 09:49 AM
    For some reason I cant post links but (for those interested) there's a picture on WMPoweruser (take it with a grain of salt cause that site is not trustworthy) of the WP8.1 start screen
    imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1393689947.565806.jpg

These. But these are not what we have been asking for. They don't look bad as they are but the problem is when live tiles flip. Tiles like the photos app will show random pictures that will look like mess in the middle of the tattooed tiles. Also, live tiles will loose their "identity". Some developers actually take time creating live tiles that are useful and integrate well the app experience... For what? To have some skin messing up their tiles?

Just give us the backgrounds, how can that be so hard?
    03-01-2014 10:10 AM
    I still don't like it...
    03-01-2014 10:14 AM
    Well said poiman!
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    03-01-2014 10:17 AM
    Im starting to think that you cant really put a background image to replace the black/white.....unless its gradients or something that is NOT an actual image. Because you cannot see a damn thing on the start screen since the tiles pretty much cover everything.
    What if they added the ability to categorize your start tiles into groups (similar to Windows 8 and my mockup below)? Combined with Semanticzoom, this is what WP needs the most, an experience deduced from Windows 8 and is also functional.

My mockups:

PLEASE enlarge any of those photos before giving your opinion on them (by pressing on any).

start-mockup.jpg start-mockup-2.jpg

start-mockup-3.jpg
    trandz and James8561 like this.
    03-01-2014 10:47 AM
    What if they added the ability to categorize your start tiles into groups (similar to Windows 8 and my mockup below)? Combined with Semanticzoom, this is what WP needs the most, an experience deduced from Windows 8 and is also functional.

My mockups:

PLEASE enlarge any of those photos before giving your opinion on them (by pressing on any).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start mockup.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	597.7 KB 
ID:	58421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start mockup 2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	497.3 KB 
ID:	58422

Name:	Start mockup 3.jpg 
Size:	559.4 KB 
ID:	58423
    I just don't like the buttons inside the live tiles. The rest is perfect!
    03-01-2014 10:57 AM
    I just don't like the buttons inside the live tiles. The rest is perfect!
    It will be a nice add on for live tiles , it will be easier to control songs , I don't have to open the app , just click on the tile buttons :)
    03-01-2014 11:28 AM

My mockups:

Name:	Start mockup.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	597.7 KB 
ID:	58421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start mockup 2.jpg 
Size:	497.3 KB 
ID:	58422

Name:	Start mockup 3.jpg 
Size:	559.4 KB 
ID:	58423
    IF they did that the backgrounds make more sense because of the amount of 'gap space' available. Plus the experience would be far more consistent with Win8 than it is now (since WP is just a unending scroll of tiles with no categories, while W8 has 'column' gaps that separate by category). With that said, those mockups SHOULD be what WP8 strives to be because its so damn similar than Win8 and is perfect for their whole convergence ideology. However, I also do not like the in-tile buttons, they look out of place.....
    03-01-2014 01:27 PM

Name:	ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1393689947.565806.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	58414

These. But these are not what we have been asking for. They don't look bad as they are but the problem is when live tiles flip. Tiles like the photos app will show random pictures that will look like mess in the middle of the tattooed tiles. Also, live tiles will loose their "identity". Some developers actually take time creating live tiles that are useful and integrate well the app experience... For what? To have some skin messing up their tiles?

Just give us the backgrounds, how can that be so hard?
    I understand what you mean @live tiles but if you look closely at the last 3 tiles in those pictures, you can see that the second picture has the tile flipped but still it matches with the background picture chosen. I don't know why they went with this direction but maybe, just maybe, it will work. Let's wait till we see it in action before we make the final verdict
    03-01-2014 01:54 PM
    I understand what you mean @live tiles but if you look closely at the last 3 tiles in those pictures, you can see that the second picture has the tile flipped but still it matches with the background picture chosen. I don't know why they went with this direction but maybe, just maybe, it will work. Let's wait till we see it in action before we make the final verdict
    Works for tiles that flip to text, but what about tiles that flip to other images? Like games for example.
    03-01-2014 05:35 PM
    Works for tiles that flip to text, but what about tiles that flip to other images? Like games for example.
    Well, this is gonna be a tough one. Seems like they have gone far into this to go back on it. Don't know hold your breath on a background behind the tiles though but I would be happy if that happens as well. More options = more joy
    03-01-2014 06:12 PM
    There are many apps in the store (Wiztiles, Groupy) that already give the option to add category text to a group of files. So if Microsoft does enable an image ( nice if it were a moving gif or moving Bing image) behind the tiles, more of the image would be seen if you used one of these apps to categories your tiles.
    03-01-2014 06:53 PM
    There are many apps in the store (Wiztiles, Groupy) that already give the option to add category text to a group of files. So if Microsoft does enable an image ( nice if it were a moving gif or moving Bing image) behind the tiles, more of the image would be seen if you used one of these apps to categories your tiles.
    Lol, I like your signature
    03-01-2014 08:07 PM
140 ... 456