View Poll Results: Should Windows Phone support Flash?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 45.53%
  • No

67 54.47%
01-16-2016 09:55 AM
101 12345
tools
    I say yes, but primarily because I'm worried that if it doesn't we're going to get it stripped from ARM Tablets when the to merge.
    02-16-2014 02:52 PM
    Html5 may change with the improvements and better features in WP 8.1
    HTML5 itself isn't anywhere near as close to Flash in terms of performance yet. It's not about browser implementation. The technology itself isn't very mature. It's moving ay a brisk pace, but it hasn't caught up yet.
    02-16-2014 04:00 PM
    Html5 in ie10 is very limited, try to go to a website that stream videos with html5... Good luck! And this is in mobile version.
    Could you give specific examples please? HTML5 functionality has been fine for me as long as the site recognizes that I'm using a mobile browser.

If the site has code that isn't compliant, and instead is something from an offshoot of HTML5 that hasn't been accepted as a standard, then that's the site not IE.
    02-16-2014 04:03 PM
    Flash is still all over the web, so I say yes. WP should have it.
    02-16-2014 04:26 PM
    I doubt that Windows Phone 8.1 will come with flash. Not single smartphone out there support flash (Android, iOS and Windows Phone)
    Blackberry does.

I can't believe people don't realize companies can implement Flash themselves. They don't need Adobe to make "mobile" versions.
    02-16-2014 04:31 PM
    Could you give specific examples please? HTML5 functionality has been fine for me as long as the site recognizes that I'm using a mobile browser.

If the site has code that isn't compliant, and instead is something from an offshoot of HTML5 that hasn't been accepted as a standard, then that's the site not IE.
    quick example; html5 audio in WP IE sucks. I had to disable sound for mobile browsers for my flappydoge hack because the phone couldn't handle it (lag when triggering sounds, and not all sounds would play). Worked fine in a desktop browser. And no, it wasn't my code; coding html audio tags is pretty straightforward.

I'm not defending flash (I'm not a fan of it) but you are wrong on this front. Sorry.
    02-16-2014 04:33 PM
    BlackBerry used to be the most secure platform too. However, this might not be the case with Adobe Flash vulnerabilities. BlackBerry 10 Haunted by Adobe Flash Vulnerabilities | SecurityWeek.Com
    The thing with mobile devices, its almost completely up to the user to determine the devices level of security. Sure, Blackberry's network is secure, but you have to manually manage the on-device encryption and application permissions yourself. If a Blackberry user didn't use on-device encryption or allowed every application permission asked, it wouldn't be a very secure device. Most people don't have secure devices.

That said, I haven't heard of Blackberry being legitimately compromised due to a loophole in Flash. I don't know enough about Blackberry security to know what a Flash loophole could really do.
    bilzkh and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2014 04:40 PM
    no. flash is heavy and battery-intensive and full of security problems, right up there with Java except a bit less.
    02-17-2014 12:26 AM
    no. flash is heavy and battery-intensive and full of security problems, right up there with Java except a bit less.
    I think it should be an option, even if turned off by default.

Again, the reality is that Microsoft did build Flash into IE Metro, we have an example of an integrated and *limited* solution alive and working today on the tablets of hundreds of thousands if not a million-plus people. I'd like to know how many Windows RT users are experiencing security problems as a result of Flash on IE Metro.

Anyways, I think a limited solution with whitelisted websites that activates only when there's no HTML5 would be good.
    Reflexx likes this.
    02-17-2014 01:57 AM
    No one uses Flash for the web any more. At least, no one worth their salt. Even games are easier to make in HTML than Flash nowadays, and the popular game builders can export to HTML with 100% compatibility. Why should we support developers resting on their laurels and continuing to build things in such a resource-hogging, platform-limiting behemoth?

The sooner platforms stop supporting Flash the sooner it will die.
    02-17-2014 08:14 PM
    No one uses Flash for the web any more. At least, no one worth their salt. Even games are easier to make in HTML than Flash nowadays, and the popular game builders can export to HTML with 100% compatibility. Why should we support developers resting on their laurels and continuing to build things in such a resource-hogging, platform-limiting behemoth?

HTML5 isn't robust enough yet.

There are A LOT of major sites that use Flash.

You can insult their developers all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they use Flash.

I suppose we can all sit here on our high horses and turn up our noses to them and laugh at how behind they are using such antiquated tools. But in the meantime, WP is the platform that looks the most behind.

"Oh, look at that! Adobe uses Flash for Adobe Connect. Many companies and schools are using this for training. My co-workers and/or classmates can all access this training using apps on their iPads or Android phones. Bwahahaha! What losers! I'm just going to sit here and laugh at them all."
    02-17-2014 11:26 PM
    HTML5 isn't robust enough yet.

There are A LOT of major sites that use Flash.

You can insult their developers all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they use Flash.

I suppose we can all sit here on our high horses and turn up our noses to them and laugh at how behind they are using such antiquated tools. But in the meantime, WP is the platform that looks the most behind.

"Oh, look at that! Adobe uses Flash for Adobe Connect. Many companies and schools are using this for training. My co-workers and/or classmates can all access this training using apps on their iPads or Android phones. Bwahahaha! What losers! I'm just going to sit here and laugh at them all."
    I prefer HTML5, but Flash would be useful for the time being, until we get these apps that we don't have, but they have flash sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    02-17-2014 11:47 PM

...because we don't have apps for providers such as GlobalTV, CTV, etc...i.e. content/cable networks whose sites still play video from Flash and not HTML5. Let's stop sticking to the "Flash sucks" dogma and see the world for what it truly is, i.e. Flash, Flash everywhere. Again, why are people skirting around the reality that Microsoft has an integrated Flash solution on IE Metro? Instead of answering how that is causing problems we're having people bring up tired repetition. It's simple, is Microsoft's current solution with Windows RT screwed up, yes or no? From what I have experienced, it isn't, so why is it a bad solution for Windows Phone?
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-18-2014 12:15 AM
    WP should do ANYTHING that will win points with users. Let you disable it if you want, but given WP has basically 1/5th or less of the apps out there, at least fash apps would work.
    02-18-2014 06:14 AM
    I prefer HTML5, but Flash would be useful for the time being, until we get these apps that we don't have, but they have flash sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    both.jpg

While HTML5 works better for some things, Flash is way more supported everywhere and way more used.

The only thing where HTML5 is better than Flash on the web are Media Players, and still, 99.9% of them are still in Flash.
    Nobody cares if WP doesn't support Flash, it's just a loss for us. Like if you said I dont like the current state of economy, so I'm going to stop eating Ice Cream.
    Don't think you can change the web by not supporting Flash, you won't change it.
    02-18-2014 08:58 AM
    Flash is way more supported? Not even adobe supports it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html

That's was 3 years ago.
    02-20-2014 05:04 PM
    02-20-2014 05:15 PM
    Well that was nice of them! :) haha
    02-20-2014 05:32 PM
    You're making this look like Flash is the worst thing that ever happened to the human kind and should be destroyed as soon as possible.
    Yeah ofc, only Flash gets hacked. Other OSes and Aplications never recieved any security updates because they we're perfect since beta.

Like come on? Also since the WP is closed wouldn't that block hacks? Not to mention that I dont think there would be anyone that will be bored enough to make a "virus" that would work on WP trough Flash.
    02-20-2014 07:36 PM
    Would you rather they not patch it?
    02-20-2014 07:51 PM
    Of course they should patch it....the question is can they patch it fast enough? Would it do any good for them to patch it? How many "fake" Flash update popups are hitting the net.

Adobe and Oracle (Java) deserve and need to be shamed as much as possible, much as Microsoft was 12 years ago.
    02-20-2014 08:01 PM
    Why couldn't they make a lite version of Adobe Flash to reduce battery usage, and have one specifically made for Windows Phone store, so that case, the Adobe Flash app is sandboxed, hence reducing the security implications. If there is Adobe Reader touch in the Store, why not this.

I agree, more features the better. We get made fun of and criticized for having a "dumb" featured smartphone because we literally have no features, and yet here we are with some people opposing the idea of more the better. SMH.
    02-20-2014 08:25 PM
    Of course they should patch it....the question is can they patch it fast enough? Would it do any good for them to patch it? How many "fake" Flash update popups are hitting the net.

Adobe and Oracle (Java) deserve and need to be shamed as much as possible, much as Microsoft was 12 years ago.
    I guess they could always patch it once a month, maybe every second Tuesday, and hold onto it until then.
    02-20-2014 08:37 PM
    I think the points Steve Jobs enumerated for nixing Flash on Apple's mobile devices apply equally to WP. And that was 4 years ago....

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
    02-20-2014 08:38 PM
    I guess they could always patch it once a month, maybe every second Tuesday, and hold onto it until then.
    I think they're on a weekly pace as is.
    02-20-2014 08:42 PM
101 12345