Should Windows Phone support Adobe Flash?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Adobe Flash for the internet is slowly being phased out. However, until that happens (which may take years), there are advantages to having Flash support.

This is especially true because Windows Phone currently doesn't have the 3rd part app support (heck, even 1st party) that other platforms have.

Let's take a system like Adobe Connect for example. Adobe Connect is a growing online meeting platform that is feature rich and is being picked up by many companies and universities. It also requires Flash.

Anyone with an Android device can participate in an Adobe Connect meeting through their browser or app.

iOS has app support.

Windows Phone can't connect with the browser. It also doesn't have a supported app.

This isn't unique to Adobe Connect.

Yes, Flash does cause some battery/performance issues. Maybe there should be an setting in options to turn on Flash support with a text box that states that turning it on may have negative battery consequences.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone should not support software withdrawn from the market by its publisher. Adobe is no longer developing or distributing Flash for mobile devices. Whether it's wanted or not, it's no available any more.

From: Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes | Adobe Developer Connection
Flash Player is not supported on Android 4.1 and users should uninstall Flash Player prior to upgrading to Android 4.1....Flash Player plug-in for Android is not supported or available for the Google Chrome browser on Android.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that WP should really be RT, with the full browser functionality of RT.

I understand why there isn't Flash support, but I believe that it would benefit the platform. When the browser is in desktop mode, it should really function like it.

Sure, Android is moving away from it and Apple never supported it. However, they can afford that position more because any content creator that wants people to view their content will make iOS and Android apps to work around the limitations.

WP does not have that luxury.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No. Adobe Flash is not only a resource hog but a security risk. I do not even enable Adobe Flash in my desktop PC browsers. There was just yet another security update a couple days ago for Adobe Flash vulnerability.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No. Adobe Flash is not only a resource hog but a security risk. I do not even enable Adobe Flash in my desktop PC browsers. There was just yet another security update a couple days ago for Adobe Flash vulnerability.

Windows RT is very secure, and it supports Flash. I haven't heard about RT users having virus problems, have you?

The reality of the internet landscape is that Flash is still abundantly used.

We can all hope for a day that HTML5 can fully replace it, but that day has not come yet.

Instead, we are pretty much limited in functionality in ways iOS and Android aren't. Android and iOS can offer alternatives through apps.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT is very secure, and it supports Flash. I haven't heard about RT users having virus problems, have you?

The reality of the internet landscape is that Flash is still abundantly used.

We can all hope for a day that HTML5 can fully replace it, but that day has not come yet.

Instead, we are pretty much limited in functionality in ways iOS and Android aren't. Android and iOS can offer alternatives through apps.

RT does suffer performance issues due to use of Adobe Flash.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
That's not a virus.

RT suffers performance issues if I have multiple apps running. That doesn't mean that multitasking shouldn't be supported.

Viruses haven't been created for the ARM version of Windows because it's such a minute market share that it'd be pointless.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow...don't mind me but most of you don't even have an idea of what you're talking about.
You're just replaying that same speach that other buthurt WP users used to spread around because they needed Flash and couldn't have it.
Flash is a GREAT thing to have, and saying that it has more disadvantages than advantages is pure nonsense imo.
Do what you want, Flash most probably isn't comming to WP, and I don't feel like that is going to change, sadly. I would love to have it, not only because I would use it, but because every (new) feature is great to have, even if you don't use it at all (also you have no idea if you're going to need anything in the future).

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
From security perspective there should be an ad blocker (tracking list)...this is the most incoming of crapware

Flash would be a great feature for WP and it would be unique (yea android can use a outdated unsupported version but for the normal user, flash build in would be great)

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Better support for HTML5 and we will not need flash. I am tired of visiting sites that have videos available and I can't play it because ie10 does not support it.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow...don't mind me but most of you don't even have an idea of what you're talking about.
You're just replaying that same speach that other buthurt WP users used to spread around because they needed Flash and couldn't have it.
Flash is a GREAT thing to have, and saying that it has more disadvantages than advantages is pure nonsense imo.
Do what you want, Flash most probably isn't comming to WP, and I don't feel like that is going to change, sadly. I would love to have it, not only because I would use it, but because every (new) feature is great to have, even if you don't use it at all (also you have no idea if you're going to need anything in the future).

Not if it generates security flaws, inconsistencies and performance issues where there are none. You really should not undermine the intelligence of others when you're the confused one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro