Should Windows Phone support Adobe Flash?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No one uses Flash for the web any more. At least, no one worth their salt. Even games are easier to make in HTML than Flash nowadays, and the popular game builders can export to HTML with 100% compatibility. Why should we support developers resting on their laurels and continuing to build things in such a resource-hogging, platform-limiting behemoth?

The sooner platforms stop supporting Flash the sooner it will die.

HTML5 isn't robust enough yet.

There are A LOT of major sites that use Flash.

You can insult their developers all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they use Flash.

I suppose we can all sit here on our high horses and turn up our noses to them and laugh at how behind they are using such antiquated tools. But in the meantime, WP is the platform that looks the most behind.

"Oh, look at that! Adobe uses Flash for Adobe Connect. Many companies and schools are using this for training. My co-workers and/or classmates can all access this training using apps on their iPads or Android phones. Bwahahaha! What losers! I'm just going to sit here and laugh at them all."

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
HTML5 isn't robust enough yet.

There are A LOT of major sites that use Flash.

You can insult their developers all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they use Flash.

I suppose we can all sit here on our high horses and turn up our noses to them and laugh at how behind they are using such antiquated tools. But in the meantime, WP is the platform that looks the most behind.

"Oh, look at that! Adobe uses Flash for Adobe Connect. Many companies and schools are using this for training. My co-workers and/or classmates can all access this training using apps on their iPads or Android phones. Bwahahaha! What losers! I'm just going to sit here and laugh at them all."

I prefer HTML5, but Flash would be useful for the time being, until we get these apps that we don't have, but they have flash sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
No one uses Flash for the web any more. At least, no one worth their salt. Even games are easier to make in HTML than Flash nowadays, and the popular game builders can export to HTML with 100% compatibility. Why should we support developers resting on their laurels and continuing to build things in such a resource-hogging, platform-limiting behemoth?

The sooner platforms stop supporting Flash the sooner it will die.
...because we don't have apps for providers such as GlobalTV, CTV, etc...i.e. content/cable networks whose sites still play video from Flash and not HTML5. Let's stop sticking to the "Flash sucks" dogma and see the world for what it truly is, i.e. Flash, Flash everywhere. Again, why are people skirting around the reality that Microsoft has an integrated Flash solution on IE Metro? Instead of answering how that is causing problems we're having people bring up tired repetition. It's simple, is Microsoft's current solution with Windows RT screwed up, yes or no? From what I have experienced, it isn't, so why is it a bad solution for Windows Phone?

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
WP should do ANYTHING that will win points with users. Let you disable it if you want, but given WP has basically 1/5th or less of the apps out there, at least fash apps would work.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I prefer HTML5, but Flash would be useful for the time being, until we get these apps that we don't have, but they have flash sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

both.jpg

While HTML5 works better for some things, Flash is way more supported everywhere and way more used.

The only thing where HTML5 is better than Flash on the web are Media Players, and still, 99.9% of them are still in Flash.
Nobody cares if WP doesn't support Flash, it's just a loss for us. Like if you said I dont like the current state of economy, so I'm going to stop eating Ice Cream.
Don't think you can change the web by not supporting Flash, you won't change it.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You're making this look like Flash is the worst thing that ever happened to the human kind and should be destroyed as soon as possible.
Yeah ofc, only Flash gets hacked. Other OSes and Aplications never recieved any security updates because they we're perfect since beta.

Like come on? Also since the WP is closed wouldn't that block hacks? Not to mention that I dont think there would be anyone that will be bored enough to make a "virus" that would work on WP trough Flash.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Of course they should patch it....the question is can they patch it fast enough? Would it do any good for them to patch it? How many "fake" Flash update popups are hitting the net.

Adobe and Oracle (Java) deserve and need to be shamed as much as possible, much as Microsoft was 12 years ago.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Why couldn't they make a lite version of Adobe Flash to reduce battery usage, and have one specifically made for Windows Phone store, so that case, the Adobe Flash app is sandboxed, hence reducing the security implications. If there is Adobe Reader touch in the Store, why not this.

I agree, more features the better. We get made fun of and criticized for having a "dumb" featured smartphone because we literally have no features, and yet here we are with some people opposing the idea of more the better. SMH.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course they should patch it....the question is can they patch it fast enough? Would it do any good for them to patch it? How many "fake" Flash update popups are hitting the net.

Adobe and Oracle (Java) deserve and need to be shamed as much as possible, much as Microsoft was 12 years ago.

I guess they could always patch it once a month, maybe every second Tuesday, and hold onto it until then.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think they're on a weekly pace as is.

And if you look at the build numbers? You'll notice there isn't a huge difference. They're tossing out updates as soon as they fix the problem. Don't make the mistake to think that a lot or patches means they are a worse program in terms of vulnerabilities.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Which could also indicate they're not taking a comprehensive look at things and are just "fixing and flying" against individual exploits.

Pretty sure the jury is in on how they rate in prevalence of vulnerabilities.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Which could also indicate they're not taking a comprehensive look at things and are just "fixing and flying" against individual exploits.

Pretty sure the jury is in on how they rate in prevalence of vulnerabilities.

They patched 56 vulnerabilities in 2013, down from 66 the year before. I could easily list three pieces of software that isn't JRE that patched more of them that year.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Why couldn't they make a lite version of Adobe Flash to reduce battery usage, and have one specifically made for Windows Phone store, so that case, the Adobe Flash app is sandboxed, hence reducing the security implications. If there is Adobe Reader touch in the Store, why not this.

I agree, more features the better. We get made fun of and criticized for having a "dumb" featured smartphone because we literally have no features, and yet here we are with some people opposing the idea of more the better. SMH.
Microsoft integrated Flash into the Metro Internet Explorer browser. With Windows 8 it was based on a whitelist of approved websites, but since Windows 8.1 they adopted a blacklist model. Either way, a controlled Flash solution is available for everyone (with Windows 8.x/RT) to try out. That said, this was made by the Sinofsky-era Windows team, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Myerson moving forward, it could go either way. I'd much rather have curated Flash support than Android apps, just saying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb