Should Windows Phone support Adobe Flash?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Awesome - truly - thanks for the discussion. 'Preciate it.

No problem at all, I enjoy having discussions that aren't two people yelling at each other. And to be honest, it isn't like Adobe are helping themselves with the Flash issues (everyone assumes there are way more vulnerabilities than there are).

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Its just beyond me why people would want something that requires a 3rd part plug in to run over something natively supported in a web browser. Flash will eventually die and html5 is its replacement. Why prolong that death? Its just companies like google (with chromes ****ty html5 audio performance) that need to make their browser less...i dunno... ****ty? :p

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Its just beyond me why people would want something that requires a 3rd part plug in to run over something natively supported in a web browser. Flash will eventually die and html5 is its replacement. Why prolong that death? Its just companies like google (with chromes ****ty html5 audio performance) that need to make their browser less...i dunno... ****ty? :p

Thats was answered countless times acutally, once even by me:
-Flash isn't used just for YouTube so you can replace it with HTML5.
HTML5 has a tremendous way to go to overcome Flash because Flash is used in so many ways you can't even imagine that.
I'm not saying HTML5 is bad, but its still young and with this growth it wont catch up with Flash in another few years. So why wait?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Of course they should patch it....the question is can they patch it fast enough? Would it do any good for them to patch it? How many "fake" Flash update popups are hitting the net.

Adobe and Oracle (Java) deserve and need to be shamed as much as possible, much as Microsoft was 12 years ago.

Fast enough to keep.up with all those viruses written to take advantage of Windows Phone?

Yeah. I don't think that will be a problem for quite some time. By then, HTML5 might actually be popular enough.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft integrated Flash into the Metro Internet Explorer browser. With Windows 8 it was based on a whitelist of approved websites, but since Windows 8.1 they adopted a blacklist model. Either way, a controlled Flash solution is available for everyone (with Windows 8.x/RT) to try out. That said, this was made by the Sinofsky-era Windows team, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Myerson moving forward, it could go either way. I'd much rather have curated Flash support than Android apps, just saying.

Agreed.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It's beyond you why someone would want something that is prevalent as opposed to something that isn't as prevelent?

HTML5 isn't as powerful or as common as Flash yet.

Do you think WP support is what's going to determine how fast HTML5 grows in power and adoption rates?

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It's beyond you why someone would want something that is prevalent as opposed to something that isn't as prevelent?

Do you think WP support is what's going to determine how fast HTML5 grows in power and adoption rates?

That in no way rebuts my statement. You people need this in your life

http://occupyflash.org/

Go on grandpa, come join the future with me.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thats was answered countless times acutally, once even by me:
-Flash isn't used just for YouTube so you can replace it with HTML5.
HTML5 has a tremendous way to go to overcome Flash because Flash is used in so many ways you can't even imagine that.

This is an answer??? Maybe that's why I'm asking the question again. Who the joseph said anything about youtube? Wasn't me.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

All those quick and simple flash games that a lot of people play?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
flash always crashed my ie 11 on my windows 8.1 machine ,I compared the cpu usage from task manager and the results were :- when the flash was turned on cpu usage was at 88-95% with ram almost 70% used (just playing a video from YouTube in ie 11) , when I disabled it and turned on html5 from YouTube settings the results were :- cpu usage 35-40% , ram usage 40% , flash player is a resource hog and windows update keeps on throwing flash layer updates every month .
conclusion :- I don't want a buggy , outdated/not supported feature on my windows phone , even apple (ios) does not flash player , they discontinued it in 2009 I believe.

Flash is horrific on IE11. Every time I go to Youtube or ESPN it slows down to a crawl. Sometimes when I go full screen the video somehow separates itself from IE. Like its running on separate process in a separate window. I lose all of the keyboard shortcuts.

I would be okay with putting Flash on WP8.1 just because there are still plenty of websites that depend on it (most of the time for no reason at all). I wouldn't mind it for animations and such that many companies use on their site.

But what about interactive content? Games or even forms? Does flash automagically support touch or do the flash programmers have to incorporate it manually?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Flash is horrific on IE11. Every time I go to Youtube or ESPN it slows down to a crawl. Sometimes when I go full screen the video somehow separates itself from IE. Like its running on separate process in a separate window. I lose all of the keyboard shortcuts.

I would be okay with putting Flash on WP8.1 just because there are still plenty of websites that depend on it (most of the time for no reason at all). I wouldn't mind it for animations and such that many companies use on their site.

But what about interactive content? Games or even forms? Does flash automagically support touch or do the flash programmers have to incorporate it manually?

I've played a Flash game on my RT. Touch acts like a mouse button in Windows, long press is like right click.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Flash support can be baked into the OS. Doesn't have to be a plugin. AFAIK.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If you're insinuating it's less efficient than HTML5 for video streaming, I'll have to ask for a comparison demonstrating a considerable difference in battery consumption. On mobile devices.

All media streaming is inefficient.

I'll keep looking, the only ones I can find are from 2011.

And here's what I know: HTML5 video doesn't make my MBA fan go. Flash video does.

steven hunter1

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Recently, I enrolled in online classes, I need Adobe Java to view the training videos. It's concerning that Microsoft and Adobe do not care enough to make sure that its customers have a platform to view their product. I need for the product to work. I know that the videos that I will be viewing are safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos