View Poll Results: Should Windows Phone support Flash?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 45.53%
  • No

67 54.47%
01-16-2016 09:55 AM
101 123 ...
tools
    Adobe Flash for the internet is slowly being phased out. However, until that happens (which may take years), there are advantages to having Flash support.

This is especially true because Windows Phone currently doesn't have the 3rd part app support (heck, even 1st party) that other platforms have.

Let's take a system like Adobe Connect for example. Adobe Connect is a growing online meeting platform that is feature rich and is being picked up by many companies and universities. It also requires Flash.

Anyone with an Android device can participate in an Adobe Connect meeting through their browser or app.

iOS has app support.

Windows Phone can't connect with the browser. It also doesn't have a supported app.

This isn't unique to Adobe Connect.

Yes, Flash does cause some battery/performance issues. Maybe there should be an setting in options to turn on Flash support with a text box that states that turning it on may have negative battery consequences.
    02-14-2014 03:52 PM
    No, unless it will be completely revamped and optimized magically
    02-14-2014 03:55 PM
    Flash is more trouble than it's worth and it's not that Microsoft doesn't want to, it's that adobe doesn't
    02-14-2014 03:56 PM
    Windows Phone should not support software withdrawn from the market by its publisher. Adobe is no longer developing or distributing Flash for mobile devices. Whether it's wanted or not, it's no available any more.

From: Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes | Adobe Developer Connection
    Flash Player is not supported on Android 4.1 and users should uninstall Flash Player prior to upgrading to Android 4.1....Flash Player plug-in for Android is not supported or available for the Google Chrome browser on Android.
    02-14-2014 04:39 PM
    I'm of the opinion that WP should really be RT, with the full browser functionality of RT.

I understand why there isn't Flash support, but I believe that it would benefit the platform. When the browser is in desktop mode, it should really function like it.

Sure, Android is moving away from it and Apple never supported it. However, they can afford that position more because any content creator that wants people to view their content will make iOS and Android apps to work around the limitations.

WP does not have that luxury.
    bilzkh and willied like this.
    02-14-2014 07:28 PM
    Yeah! Open up the only secure OS to viruses!
    02-14-2014 11:14 PM
    No. Adobe Flash is not only a resource hog but a security risk. I do not even enable Adobe Flash in my desktop PC browsers. There was just yet another security update a couple days ago for Adobe Flash vulnerability.
    02-14-2014 11:36 PM
    I keep the crucifix handy when speaking of Flash or Java ... especially when handling mobile devices.
    Laura Knotek and DavidinCT like this.
    02-14-2014 11:42 PM
    I keep the crucifix handy when speaking of Flash or Java ... especially when handling mobile devices.
    I don't even have Java installed on my Windows 8.1 PCs.
    02-15-2014 12:11 AM
    I don't even have Java installed on my Windows 8.1 PCs.
    Ditto!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-15-2014 12:17 AM
    No. Adobe Flash is not only a resource hog but a security risk. I do not even enable Adobe Flash in my desktop PC browsers. There was just yet another security update a couple days ago for Adobe Flash vulnerability.

Windows RT is very secure, and it supports Flash. I haven't heard about RT users having virus problems, have you?

The reality of the internet landscape is that Flash is still abundantly used.

We can all hope for a day that HTML5 can fully replace it, but that day has not come yet.

Instead, we are pretty much limited in functionality in ways iOS and Android aren't. Android and iOS can offer alternatives through apps.
    willied and Editguy1900 like this.
    02-15-2014 03:54 AM
    Windows RT is very secure, and it supports Flash. I haven't heard about RT users having virus problems, have you?

The reality of the internet landscape is that Flash is still abundantly used.

We can all hope for a day that HTML5 can fully replace it, but that day has not come yet.

Instead, we are pretty much limited in functionality in ways iOS and Android aren't. Android and iOS can offer alternatives through apps.
    RT does suffer performance issues due to use of Adobe Flash.
    02-15-2014 03:59 AM
    That's not a virus.

RT suffers performance issues if I have multiple apps running. That doesn't mean that multitasking shouldn't be supported.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    02-15-2014 04:06 AM

I turn it off on my Lumia 2520 and seems to help performance a bit.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    02-15-2014 01:06 PM
    That's not a virus.

RT suffers performance issues if I have multiple apps running. That doesn't mean that multitasking shouldn't be supported.
    Viruses haven't been created for the ARM version of Windows because it's such a minute market share that it'd be pointless.
    Jaskys likes this.
    02-15-2014 09:12 PM
    Wow...don't mind me but most of you don't even have an idea of what you're talking about.
    You're just replaying that same speach that other buthurt WP users used to spread around because they needed Flash and couldn't have it.
    Flash is a GREAT thing to have, and saying that it has more disadvantages than advantages is pure nonsense imo.
    Do what you want, Flash most probably isn't comming to WP, and I don't feel like that is going to change, sadly. I would love to have it, not only because I would use it, but because every (new) feature is great to have, even if you don't use it at all (also you have no idea if you're going to need anything in the future).
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    02-15-2014 09:13 PM
    From security perspective there should be an ad blocker (tracking list)...this is the most incoming of crapware

Flash would be a great feature for WP and it would be unique (yea android can use a outdated unsupported version but for the normal user, flash build in would be great)
    Tom Snyder and willied like this.
    02-15-2014 09:46 PM
    Better support for HTML5 and we will not need flash. I am tired of visiting sites that have videos available and I can't play it because ie10 does not support it.
    02-15-2014 10:14 PM
    Keeping up with Flash Player
    Lemme see here:
    12 security updates for Adobe Flash 11 in 2013
    2 updates for Flash 12 in 2014

Looks to me like Flash gets back-doored monthly.
    02-15-2014 10:34 PM
    Wow...don't mind me but most of you don't even have an idea of what you're talking about.
    You're just replaying that same speach that other buthurt WP users used to spread around because they needed Flash and couldn't have it.
    Flash is a GREAT thing to have, and saying that it has more disadvantages than advantages is pure nonsense imo.
    Do what you want, Flash most probably isn't comming to WP, and I don't feel like that is going to change, sadly. I would love to have it, not only because I would use it, but because every (new) feature is great to have, even if you don't use it at all (also you have no idea if you're going to need anything in the future).
    Not if it generates security flaws, inconsistencies and performance issues where there are none. You really should not undermine the intelligence of others when you're the confused one.
    02-15-2014 10:57 PM
    Microsoft could enable Flash for white-listed websites, e.g. cable network websites and other legitimate and verified content.
    02-15-2014 11:00 PM
    Microsoft could enable Flash for white-listed websites, e.g. cable network websites and other legitimate and verified content.
    Except Adobe won't support it and like someone stated, Flash is back doored monthly.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-15-2014 11:08 PM
    When did Adobe stop with mobile flash? Long ago.
    It is an Adobe product. No one else can or will do mobile flash.
    Laura Knotek and manicottiK like this.
    02-15-2014 11:20 PM
    Except Adobe won't support it and like someone stated, Flash is back doored monthly.
    Hmm... Metro IE has Flash built into it, I believe it's updated/maintained by Microsoft. There's a black-list for barring malicious content. Why would this solution be a problem for Windows Phone when Microsoft's other ARM product (Windows RT) has it? Is there any proof to suggest that the IE Metro has opened Windows RT to critical security problems?
    02-15-2014 11:26 PM
    flash always crashed my ie 11 on my windows 8.1 machine ,I compared the cpu usage from task manager and the results were :- when the flash was turned on cpu usage was at 88-95% with ram almost 70% used (just playing a video from YouTube in ie 11) , when I disabled it and turned on html5 from YouTube settings the results were :- cpu usage 35-40% , ram usage 40% , flash player is a resource hog and windows update keeps on throwing flash layer updates every month .
    conclusion :- I don't want a buggy , outdated/not supported feature on my windows phone , even apple (ios) does not flash player , they discontinued it in 2009 I believe.
    02-16-2014 12:34 AM
101 123 ...