Nokia might have made it if WP8.1 was released earlier

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
As more and more Wp 8.1 features leak, there is no doubt it will be a huge update. Custom backgrounds, notification center better multitasking, huge improvement in IE, installing apps from sd card............ these should have been introduced with WP8 itself

WP8 wasn't that revolutionary. Yes you got Tiles of different sizes and and it supported multiple cores but that wasn't enough.

I'm sure Nokia Lumia sales would have been much higher with WP 8.1's features. There would have been no need to sell the major assets of one of the Best and Legendary Smartphone companies in the world.

:unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::crying::crying:

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
As more and more Wp 8.1 features leak, there is no doubt it will be a huge update. Custom backgrounds, notification center better multitasking, huge improvement in IE, installing apps from sd card............ these should have been introduced with WP8 itself

WP8 wasn't that revolutionary. Yes you got Tiles of different sizes and and it supported multiple cores but that wasn't enough.

I'm sure Nokia Lumia sales would have been much higher with WP 8.1's features. There would have been no need to sell the major assets of one of the Best and Legendary Smartphone companies in the world.

:unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::crying::crying:

you mean wp7 ?

its been a long time since 7

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Of course you are right that many of these features should have released with Windows Phone 8. The interesting question is why they weren't.

WP8 was a copy of WP7 on a new kernel. Did Microsoft not have the resources to add features? Did they not want to invest more resources, and why not? Regarding future updates, will things change with the structural changes of Microsoft, including a new CEO?

After all these years of using Windows Mobile and Windows Phone, do I still care about it? The competition is strong and healthy, there are enough options.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I totally agree with you. Had WP arrived with all these features, Nokia would definitely be running much more happily. It's seriously hard to see such a company going away. Such incredible designs and UXs. Maybe we'd never see them again. I'm too much disappointed with MS.
:unhappy: :unhappy: :crying: :crying:

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Same, here. Really sad to see my favorite company stop doing what it does best
Still, there is hope for smart watches and tablets :)
If they do come out, I'll be the first one to buy them
Nokia FTW

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course you are right that many of these features should have released with Windows Phone 8. The interesting question is why they weren't.

WP8 was a copy of WP7 on a new kernel. Did Microsoft not have the resources to add features? Did they not want to invest more resources, and why not? Regarding future updates, will things change with the structural changes of Microsoft, including a new CEO?

After all these years of using Windows Mobile and Windows Phone, do I still care about it? The competition is strong and healthy, there are enough options.

Being that it was on a new kernel, they had to rewrite a good majority of the OS. Sure, these new features should have been there, but Microsoft isn't God-like, and the features that are coming are coming is a great-deal of customer-requested feature. So, sure they could have been there from launch, but how would Microsoft would have known about customers wanting them any other way. Hopefully these features aren't buggy, but we'll see about that one in April (at least those of us in the Developer's Preview).

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
First of all, Nokia DID make it with WP. Marketshare is rising since WP8 (or even before, but i'm not sure). Nokia wasn't sold because it was broken.

Second of all, nor did iOS nor Android came out with all the so caled "loved features" they have today. iOS is in the 7th version, and Android on the 4th (and I'm not taking into account minor updates).

Technically, WP8.1 would be still the second version of WP. Yes, WP started way after, but it's catching up.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Being that it was on a new kernel, they had to rewrite a good majority of the OS. Sure, these new features should have been there, but Microsoft isn't God-like, and the features that are coming are coming is a great-deal of customer-requested feature. So, sure they could have been there from launch, but how would Microsoft would have known about customers wanting them any other way. Hopefully these features aren't buggy, but we'll see about that one in April (at least those of us in the Developer's Preview).

VPN, a better calendar, more customization features, and so on and so on. Those were features wanted since the release of Windows Phone 7, and also features that were available on Windows Mobile 6.5.

Second of all, nor did iOS nor Android came out with all the so caled "loved features" they have today. iOS is in the 7th version, and Android on the 4th (and I'm not taking into account minor updates).

This was always an argument that puzzled me. If somebody brings out a phone with the features of a Nokia 3310 and says it's just because it didn't have time to release updates for it, then you still wouldn't buy it. The OS was always measured by comparison to the competition.

Also, WP7 has a 7 in it, before that there was Windows Mobile 6.5. Microsoft offered a phone OS much longer than Apple did.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I can understand this thread. No doubt- I did prefer the driving force a motivated Nokia presented. I would prefer to see them continue. I will miss the Nokia brand, and hope to add one more of their devices before they fade into a Microsoft branch.

However, I am still okay with the future of the hardware arm coming to Microsoft. Again, as I have repeated over and over since the sale, so long as MS does everything they can to keep the engineers, developers, and techs that make up Nokia now in the fold and treat them as an independent company (they way Skype has operated since MS bought them is the prime example), then I think we get the same quality and exclusive content we get now from the Nokia brand.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that's gone is the branding, and that's not even completely gone. It's the same people in the same division, making the same phones. Honestly, I like that Microsoft bought their D&S Division because Microsoft will hopefully produce phones that aren't exclusive to one carrier, since they don't need any money from carriers (which eventually causes a decrease in sales anyway).

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
First of all, Nokia DID make it with WP. Marketshare is rising since WP8 (or even before, but i'm not sure). Nokia wasn't sold because it was broken.

Technically, WP8.1 would be still the second version of WP. Yes, WP started way after, but it's catching up.

I agree WP is on the rise. And Nokia was not bought because it was broken. But because of its potential. To bad Nokia stop (3) feet short from gold. But MSFT knows that Nokia is
(3) feet away from gold. That's why they bought it, ;-).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

What, do you have this paranoid idea that they waited 18 months to add these features to Windows Phone just because? They weren't out with Windows Phone 8 because they weren't ready then. The OS came out in Fall 2012, while these are launching in Spring 2014. They weren't ready 18 months ago, that's why they weren't included.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What, do you have this paranoid idea that they waited 18 months to add these features to Windows Phone just because? They weren't out with Windows Phone 8 because they weren't ready then. The OS came out in Fall 2012, while these are launching in Spring 2014. They weren't ready 18 months ago, that's why they weren't included.

Were did I state something like that?

Of course they were not ready, I was just wondering why. After all it was just a question of how much gets invested. Look at how fast they can push out updates for Windows or the Xbox. WP was just a small branch of Microsoft with limited resources, it's all about corporate decision.

Also, I don't think I get my 8.1 update in spring on my phone. The shiny new ones in the stores might have it in late spring. 8.1 is not even announced yet.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I like that Microsoft bought their D&S Division because Microsoft will hopefully produce phones that aren't exclusive to one carrier, since they don't need any money from carriers (which eventually causes a decrease in sales anyway).

This is one of my biggest hopes for this acquisition. It's so annoying that the US carriers ask for exclusive devices in exchange for actually advertising it (well, supposedly. I see very few Windows Phone advertising that come from the carriers themselves). One shouldn't have to switch to AT&T to get the 1020 or Verizon to get the Icon.

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

If they had MADE IT, there would have been no need to sell the division. Yes, WP's share was rising but they still made losses in the devices sector every quater

SuneelBskr

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
"Originally Posted by vitor.rf

Second of all, nor did iOS nor Android came out with all the so caled "loved features" they have today. iOS is in the 7th version, and Android on the 4th (and I'm not taking into account minor updates). "

Yeah, but..they release versions more frequent, compared to windows. We can't say that they are running higher versions and windows has just started. Also ,we can't wait for decades for a single upgrade :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786