Nokia might have made it if WP8.1 was released earlier

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone development is/was slow because until the Microsoft re-org, the Windows Phone guys were small fish at Microsoft. Today? They're heading up the OS Group in the company, i.e. they have more resources and are in a position to set priorities in favour of their vision. Moreover, there's Nokia running the hardware side, so we've got a pretty big mobile force at Microsoft now.

I'll be optimistic, we'll see WP iterate and evolve much more quickly and radically moving forward.

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that's gone is the branding, and that's not even completely gone. It's the same people in the same division, making the same phones. .

After the aquisition everyone will forget Nokia. Satya wont say this Microsoft's AND Nokia's first phone.

All the Nokia folks are now Microsoft's. They have nothing to do with nokia anymore.

The next generation won't know what an amazing manufacturer Nokia was
:crying:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
"Originally Posted by vitor.rf

Second of all, nor did iOS nor Android came out with all the so caled "loved features" they have today. iOS is in the 7th version, and Android on the 4th (and I'm not taking into account minor updates). "

Yeah, but..they release versions more frequent, compared to windows. We can't say that they are running higher versions and windows has just started. Also ,we can't wait for decades for a single upgrade :(

wp7
7.8 (forgot this one)
8.x will be generation five ?

four years this November, so they're averaging much better than a decade per release

Last edited:

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
This is one of my biggest hopes for this acquisition. It's so annoying that the US carriers ask for exclusive devices in exchange for actually advertising it (well, supposedly. I see very few Windows Phone advertising that come from the carriers themselves). One shouldn't have to switch to AT&T to get the 1020 or Verizon to get the Icon.

That's hardly a matter of money. Google with all it's cash was never able to force carriers to allow Android updates and Android is arguably much more important to carriers than WP is.

Carriers in the US are not looking to be 'dumb pipes'. They want to offer exclusive services and apps, which is why we have carrier exclusives. Apple is the only company that manages to bypass carriers in the USA and remember that even they were AT&T exclusive for a long time. Today, no carrier can afford to not carry Apple devices, that's why Apple has such clout. MS has no such leverage and as such will receive the finger if they try this on carriers.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Nokia Lumia sales would have been much higher with WP 8.1's features. There would have been no need to sell the major assets of one of the Best and Legendary Smartphone companies in the world.

:unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::crying::crying:

Where did you get the idea that Nokia was on of the "best and legendary smartphone companies" in the world? Nokia's forte has never been smartphones - it's feature phones. Adopting WP7-8 as their smartphone OS was not a step back in their smartphone offering, but a step forward.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
After the aquisition everyone will forget Nokia. Satya wont say this Microsoft's AND Nokia's first phone.

All the Nokia folks are now Microsoft's. They have nothing to do with nokia anymore.

The next generation won't know what an amazing manufacturer Nokia was
:crying:
But that was the point I was making. It's the same people working just under the Microsoft name. The next generation will know what an amazing manufacturer Microsoft is. Nokia's device division isn't being swept away with a new workforce, so the people who made the Nokia phones before the acquisition will make Microsoft phones after. You don't have to dramatize things because nothing is really changing, for the worse at least.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think you are mistaken in that it takes time to build an OS. Every one of the top phone and PC OS's have built off of some base offering to grow to where they are today. Nokia knew this when they jumped in. Microsoft was their best option at the time. Microsoft provided Nokia a quick way to a better smartphone OS with room to grow. Nokia took too long they hold onto Symbian for far to long.

How much difference do you think WP 8.1 will really make. Will the clouds open and the sun sign through. I don't thinks it will. I would we willing to bet that the usual suspects will be right back on this forum pointing out what ever issues they can find with WP 8.1. Any single update is not going to dismantle the Android and iPhone dynasty. They have built a big following that following is theirs to loose.

I think the question here shouldn't be would WP 8.1 have saved Nokia but the question should be. Should Microsoft have started building a phone OS sooner? Why did Microsoft hesitate?

Lenin17301

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree, in fact, Android and Apple fanboys will soon begin the PR smear campaign against 8.1, I can already hear them mocking that only now WP gets a notification center, downloads, advanced multitasking, etc, and finding and magnifying whatever flaws remain on the OS. The Media strenght of Google and Apple is simply too big for MS to overcome at the moment, let alone Nokia. Satya Nadella must make the decision to either commit to Windows Phone, spending the cash to gain inch by inch of market share and Media clout, or (let's hope not) give up on Windows Phone altogether.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As more and more Wp 8.1 features leak, there is no doubt it will be a huge update. Custom backgrounds, notification center better multitasking, huge improvement in IE, installing apps from sd card............ these should have been introduced with WP8 itself

WP8 wasn't that revolutionary. Yes you got Tiles of different sizes and and it supported multiple cores but that wasn't enough.

I'm sure Nokia Lumia sales would have been much higher with WP 8.1's features. There would have been no need to sell the major assets of one of the Best and Legendary Smartphone companies in the world.

Although Windows Phone 8 does have a hub for social network updates,and also enables individual apps to deliver notifications to the Start Screen via a live tile, it does not include a unified center for notifications from both programs and social networks. This highly requested feature, was not included because Microsoft "ran out of time" before the release of Windows Phone 8, but will be included in Windows Phone 8.1
VPN support, which was not included in Windows Phone 8, will be added in Windows Phone 8.1

source Wikipedia :- Windows Phone 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

It's more complicated than that, especially with OEMs bailing on WP and Nokia owning 90% of the WP market. Read that number again: 90% of all Windows Phone 8 devices are Lumias. It's hard to have a monopoly on that and not own the company. What if Nokia, in their new found success, decided "let's do Anroid!" and/or "let's scale back on Windows Phone". Microsoft would be screwed.

The 90% margin became too dangerous for Microsoft to not act. They don't control the board or direction of Nokia, meaning their entire fate in mobile was dependent on a company they had no control over. Even the Lumia 1020 was not as good due to both companies not talking to each, for secrecy reasons.

So, ironically, you have it backwards. Nokia's success with Windows Phone, at least relatively, was what cause them to be bought.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree, in fact, Android and Apple fanboys will soon begin the PR smear campaign against 8.1, I can already hear them mocking that only now WP gets a notification center, downloads, advanced multitasking, etc, and finding and magnifying whatever flaws remain on the OS. The Media strenght of Google and Apple is simply too big for MS to overcome at the moment, let alone Nokia. Satya Nadella must make the decision to either commit to Windows Phone, spending the cash to gain inch by inch of market share and Media clout, or (let's hope not) give up on Windows Phone altogether.

Possibly, but the cry and hue they caused during the WP7.x --> WP8 rift was pretty bad, but it didn't stop Microsoft/Nokia from selling nearly 40 million WP8s last year.

Kon Bick

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I think you are mistaken in that it takes time to build an OS. Every one of the top phone and PC OS's have built off of some base offering to grow to where they are today. Nokia knew this when they jumped in. Microsoft was their best option at the time. Microsoft provided Nokia a quick way to a better smartphone OS with room to grow. Nokia took too long they hold onto Symbian for far to long.

How much difference do you think WP 8.1 will really make. Will the clouds open and the sun sign through. I don't thinks it will. I would we willing to bet that the usual suspects will be right back on this forum pointing out what ever issues they can find with WP 8.1. Any single update is not going to dismantle the Android and iPhone dynasty. They have built a big following that following is theirs to loose.

I think the question here shouldn't be would WP 8.1 have saved Nokia but the question should be. Should Microsoft have started building a phone OS sooner? Why did Microsoft hesitate?

I don't think it was their best option, but it was a try...nobody knew how it would end up. That time Nokia needed money and I think Microsoft was the only one to support Nokia with their developments. If they decided to go with Android, they would have had fierce competition - not the easiest way. But Nokia _IS_ launching an android device now and I think that shows that they realised that WP wasn't going to save them. (and in my opinion I think those Lumia devices (920/1020) with android would have sold well! - better than with WP).

And coming from android I really wonder how much time it took WP to mature EVEN A BIT. I just swapped phones a week ago (still using the Lumia as second device) and still can't believe that there is no different sound settings for apps (media), ringtones, alarms etc. This is so freaking basic but Microsoft was REALLY slow...really, really slow...And thats why Nokia gave us so many apps (read: features!) because Microsoft was so slow and Nokia was annoyed about that.

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The switch to WP was supposed to save Nokia, and it didn't.
That's all i'm sad about
And i hold Microsoft's laziness to provide updates quicky, responsible for this

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
They might have but I doubt it.

I just dont want to see any MS influence on the design of the phones.
US design teams leave a lot to be desired and certainly cant match their european or asian counterparts when its comes to electronics.
Dont get me started on your car industry lol

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I think their chances would have been better yes. In many ways, the wrong bet wasn't windows phone, it was the Microsoft dev team in charge of it. Nokia thought MSFT could ship fast and on time, keep up with android and iOS. Yet nokia had to fill in the gaps and even fix the platform (remember the storage bug). Under Joe Belfiore (which BTW went to IE, YIKES), WP stalled and perished and nokia was basically stuck in microsoft time which moves far far too slow.

if WP have been created and managed by a serious manager and dev team, they would have shipped 8.1 earlier and possibly we would be getting the equivalent of windows phone 10 by now.

untitled007

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Nokia lost big time to android and ios, theres no survival, people left them, they all went to android, lits of unsold phone, they were not expecting, during that time they already is selling their rd to microsoft in order to save other division. you know, that was a fast going up and fast gping down too :) the only thing i am hoping is i can still see nokia name in future device

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05