WPCentral's Windows Phone 8.1 Feature-list

frenzyvanrafi

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I hope MS allowing phone manufacturers ditching some MS services such Nokia MixRadio to replacing XBOX Music on most Nokia Lumia smartphone, because not all countries gets this services like Indonesia

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Can we correct ? or at least discuss a correction to ? the 'new YouTube player' feature? Going by the screenshots this is incorrect, as it's rather a new HTML5 Video player UI that came with IE11. The fact that the screenshot shows the YouTube mobile website doesn't make it a 'YouTube player' and I worry that people are going to be expecting an actual app.

Future Fossil

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I have a Nokia 928. The New Features list for 8.1 mentions performing a screen shot by simultaneously holding down the volume key and power button. This is already how you do a soft reset on the 928 if the device freezes. Am I seeing a conflict or did I read something wrong. If that's how you will do a screen shot in the future, how will you do a soft reset

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Screenshots will be done using the Up Volume Key (not the Down Volume Key) and the Power Button.

Soft reset will still be the Volume Down and Power Button combination as it is now

biodeena

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Changelog (Last Updated: 17 Feb, 2014)

OS changes & New features:
  • The pull down notification center called Action Center
  • There will be Five Slots found in Quick Settings of Action Center and following apps can be set for quick access: Camera, Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane Mode, Rotation Lock, Internet Sharing, Brightness, Do Not Disturb, VPN, Location and Mirroring
  • Cortana, the voice-assistant. Tidbits revealed in many screenshots
  • Customizable start screen Background
  • Live Lock-screen
  • Dual-Sim support
  • Social notifications will now show up in action center by swiping from the top of the screen
  • A native Downloads folder
  • Change default SMS app. You can also change which SMS app will show notifications.
  • Back button doesn?t terminate the app but suspend it just like WinRT
  • GridView and ListView
  • VPN support confirmed
  • Speed dial confirmed
  • Email notification icon has been added to the top taskbar (when mail arrives)
  • Always download full images in mail
  • Accidental search prevention
  • Separate volume controls for Media+Apps and Ringers+ Notification
  • QHD support
  • Navigation bar with settings to hide or match accent color
  • Facebook app is in-built into Windows Phone 8.1, but other social network user need to install apps
  • Upload status for photos shown
  • Calendar has not only added weekly view but also yearly view
  • Change the size and amount of tiles on your start screen. 3 mid-size tiles in a row for all.
  • Me Tile not excluded from People Hub
  • Swype keyboard input confirmed
  • Document sharing now is not limited and all the apps which have sharing contract will share it. So, NFC, WiFi direct all come into picture.
  • Slide down to close app
  • Pivots, now called Hub, have smaller title. More screen space!
  • File Manager coming. Not activated in the SDK, but mentioned all around.
  • Progress ring from WinRT
  • New YouTube player
  • New USB settings
  • Only one new accent color
  • Windows Phone 8 is known as WinPRT
  • Lock-screen has smaller letters
  • IETileManager come to Windows Phone 8.1
  • Speak button for SkyDrive upload (Cortana)
  • Contact filter settings
  • New thread settings and speak option (Cortana)
  • Along with normal updates, there are now ?important? updates.
  • Encrypted and signed e-mail support
  • Enterprise enrolled phones can have their passwords changed and remotely locked
  • ?Type as I swipe through letters?. This means we will be seeing Swype-like functionality.
  • Geofence monitoring support. Geofence is a boundary around a place of interest to you. Location services can monitor geofences to tell your apps when you?re entering and leaving them.
  • Office Lens support
  • The phone will have to update to the latest version before you can restore it to factory settings
  • Option to update store apps automatically
  • Option to update store apps when only on Wi-Fi
  • Video Calling Support? I don?t know if we will be given choices of which VOIP provider to use. Maybe Skype video calling will be built-in?
  • Password protected Office document support
  • In-call speech commands. You?ll be able to say ?Call XXXXXX?.
  • Double-Tap to unlock your phone (Feature from Lumia devices on Amber Update and newer)
  • Lock Notification ( I was thinking of Glance for some reason. This could also mean notifications of apps on the lock screen. We don?t know where these strings are being used in the UI, so this one is a speculation)
  • Quiet Hours to live for some time without notifications
  • Double Tap to Power Off
  • Notification if charger isn?t of adequate power
  • Screenshot button combination is now Power + Volume Up (Since the newer phones will have the start button on screen)
  • Voice Narrator for Accessibility
  • The Search button will be the new way to open Speech instead of the Start button
  • New Email sync options with accordance to usage patterns (i.e. If you get a lot of mail on particular days and if you don?t check mail every day).
  • Wallet supports tickets and membership cards
  • Backups now include application data
  • Screen Reader functionality (Maybe Text-To-Speech for apps?)
  • Screen Recording functionality
  • Inner Circle of contacts. Up to 40 contacts can be in the inner circle.
  • You can favorite photos by tapping a heart icon
  • Virtual SmartCard support
  • Windows Phone 8.1 comes equipped with Earthquake warning system.

Browser:
  • Browser upload
  • Browser password manager
  • WebGL support
  • Better HTML5 support

Storage & MicroSD card:
  • Apps installation on SD Card and installed apps on phone can be moved to SD card
  • Apps installed on SD card leave (get removed) when you remove the SD card
  • Installed apps from phone can be moved to MicroSD card and vice-versa is also true. Also, on resetting the phone MicroSD card data will also get erased.
  • Chkdsk for SD Cards essentially
  • Apps on SD Cards are only allowed from ONE originating phone. If it detects that apps from another phone are installed on the SD Card, then it will ask to delete those first

Settings changes:
  • Settings for Language, Region, Find my phone have many changes
  • Ease of access has a separate browser settings view now. Can allow zooming on all web content. Speech can be used to access the Phone.
  • NFC can now save ?Apps that you trust
  • Auto-download MMS
  • Location request indicator
  • Default voice navigation app can be changed in Maps (Cortana)

New Apps & Apps related changes:
  • App Suggestions by location
  • Apps suggestions based on your Facebook profile
  • Manual App Update checks
  • App Syncing
  • Operators can also install certain applications once a SIM card is detected
  • Wifi sense. Sharing secure WI-Fi Networks with contacts if they have Wi-Fi Sense. They don?t get to see the shared password though
  • Camera app has 3 new mode: camera, burst and video and customizable viewfinder. One can choose which buttons to see in the UI
  • Battery sense (see what apps are taking the charge)
  • Data sense, Operators can now control data sense limits remotely
  • Storage sense
  • New podcast app
  • Music & Video apps are exactly like Xbox music and video apps
  • WP8.1 apps not compatible with WP8 devices without running WP8.1 update. WP8.1 devices can run WP8 apps though

Source: NPU

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I would like to see a grid view option for apps list myself.

Also, i don't think WP will have swype. It'll probably be an MS keyboard with swype like functionality

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Daniel,

Any idea if 8.1 will come with updates to Email/Outlook app? Kind of ridiculous for a device which is targeting business to not be able to edit original messages during reply/forward, amongst other nuances...

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
#1 - Needs to let you extend the syncing of historical calendar items. Having them drop off the phone so quickly is bad. You should be able to keep 2 month, 3, 6, all, etc amount of old appointments on the phone for reference. iPhone does this, WP should too.

#2 - Needs to let you set the historical synchronization period for individual email folders. For example you could set your inbox to sync the last 6 months an archive folder to sync all items from anytime. Android does this, WP should too.

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
#2 - Needs to let you set the historical synchronization period for individual email folders. For example you could set your inbox to sync the last 6 months an archive folder to sync all items from anytime. Android does this, WP should too.

you can search the server for old emails. But the option to sync locally for a few months would be nice. I personally prefer older mail to be on the server.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
you can search the server for old emails.
But the option to sync locally for a few months would be nice. I personally prefer older mail to be on the server.

Can you explain how to do that? When I go to another mailbox folder besides the inbox the only selection is to sync or not to sync. If you try to search the folder it only searches the emails synced to the phone, not bring up other emails I know are on the server.

I also wish they had some other sync time period in general between 1 month or any time. 6 month or a year would be great too.
I think everything about Windows Phone must be designed to completely exclude the possibility of devices with more memory capacity.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
hey.. what is live lock screen..??
grid-view nd list view???
IETileManage?
and this "Social notifications will now show up in action center by swiping from the top of the screen".. does that mean only social notifications will show up..?? Things like now playing or download/update status of an app.?? wont they show up on action centre..!!???

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, what I really hope for that hopefully will be revealed sooner will be a better Desktop App for WP ! The current WP desktop app sucks. I can't even do a simple function like transfer music. So seriously. Fingers crossed. Better Desktop app for WP.

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain how to do that? When I go to another mailbox folder besides the inbox the only selection is to sync or not to sync. If you try to search the folder it only searches the emails synced to the phone, not bring up other emails I know are on the server.

I also wish they had some other sync time period in general between 1 month or any time. 6 month or a year would be great too.
I think everything about Windows Phone must be designed to completely exclude the possibility of devices with more memory capacity.

the search button in your email client...

1) search for a message by content or name (ex, us airways flight)
2) search doesn't deliver local relevant matches
3) at the bottom, there is a link which says "search more in..." with the name of your mail provider (hotmail, gmail, exchange)

Clicking that will bring results off the mail server. For exchange accounts, it will display the name of your account. For example, if you work for Toyota, it'll say "search more in Toyota"

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
3) at the bottom, there is a link which says "search more in..." with the name of your mail provider (hotmail, gmail, exchange)
Clicking that will bring results off the mail server. For exchange accounts, it will display the name of your account. For example, if you work for Toyota, it'll say "search more in Toyota"

I'm just using the stock WinPho 8 mail app on a lumia. I don't see that link. Even when I press the magnifying glass search button.
I've tried looking in the mailbox connection for both a gmail and outlook account.
Thanks anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb