02-27-2014 08:51 PM
45 12
tools
    If implemented correctly it will be very useful. It hooks into everything including location, date/time, current screen content, etc. and can pull on patterns it has learnt from you as well as data from Microsoft.

Say you are walking along a street of restaurants at dinner time and you activate Cortana by either speech or pressing search, Cortana might immediately respond with "Will you like to have steak for dinner, sir?" as it has already learnt your preference for food and dinner time. To which you might respond "Yes" and Cortana might say "Bob's steak house is 50 metres ahead on the right", or "No" then Cortana can say "How can I help you?".

Or let's say you arrive at work and Cortana activates automatically and asks "Would you like to turn on quiet mode" (because you've done this several times previously and is predicting you will want it), it guesses this based on your location, time of day, and day of week based on previous patterns. Or an extended version of this "Will you like to turn on quiet mode every time you reach this location?"

Another handy use would be to be able to say "Call my wife and tell her I'm running 15 minutes late" (or Message instead of Call). Then your wife (stored under her name but Cortana knows it's your wife) receives a call "Hi, this is Cortana, your darling husband is running 15 minutes late." (hopefully you don't then have Cortana activate again with a nasty response relayed from your wife)

So, lots of very handy uses that are so convenient and smart not really because of voice recognition itself (it will be text controlled also), but contextual awareness based on all of the inputs and recognition of previous patterns.
    Agreed, this would be very useful. But isn't this why we call Google "creepy" and "invasive?" Google Now already does a lot of this kind of thing.
    02-24-2014 06:50 AM
    And next we have Cortana gaining sentient. You'll have restaurants calling you up and asking you about your reservations. You'll tell them you did not make any reservations and Cortana will reply "I am hungry, sir."
    JPDVM2014 and Ichigo like this.
    02-24-2014 07:03 AM
    Agreed, this would be very useful. But isn't this why we call Google "creepy" and "invasive?" Google Now already does a lot of this kind of thing.
    Except a lot of those things would be included in Cortana's "notebook" which we can edit, delete, and stop Cortana from adding to so we can have a level of privacy control of what cortana does and doesn't know about us so someone that has a concern over certain features can disable them on Cortana.
    02-24-2014 07:12 AM
    For me, this by itself isn't creepy. What I do find creepy is the thought that this information about me isn't mine to control, or that the company collecting this information doesn't view me as the customer, but rather the companies that they sell my information to. That is what is creepy.
    02-24-2014 11:27 AM
    Lumia devices lack the dedicated low power DSP, so they have no hope of doing the same without seriously draining the battery, as the constant listening would prevent the SoC from ever switching into a low power state.
    Not necessarily. The Snapdragon 800 has an "Always-on voice recognition" feature that works with standby, so the Icon and 1520 could presumably use that if Nokia really wanted it.

Snapdragon 800 processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors

I still think it's kind of doubtful though.
    JPDVM2014 and a5cent like this.
    02-24-2014 03:38 PM
    Not necessarily.
    Okay, right, forgot about the Snapdragon 800, primarily because I've never seen it used before on any device. That would make the 1520 and the Icon potentially capable of the same. Still, I've yet to hear that WP supports that part of the SoC, so it might not make much difference. Maybe another feature of WP8.1?
    02-24-2014 04:07 PM
    Not necessarily. The Snapdragon 800 has an "Always-on voice recognition" feature that works with standby, so the Icon and 1520 could presumably use that if Nokia really wanted it.

Snapdragon 800 processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors

I still think it's kind of doubtful though.
    I'm actually curious about this. If the snapdragon 800 has this feature, which I read it does, how come no phone takes advantage of it. Motorola went with a custom chip for the Moto X, and the Nexus 5 is only listening when the phone is on. There must be something about the snapdragon 800 that doesn't play well with realworld impementations of always-listening functionality
    02-24-2014 04:11 PM
    I'm actually curious about this. If the snapdragon 800 has this feature, which I read it does, how come no phone takes advantage of it. Motorola went with a custom chip for the Moto X, and the Nexus 5 is only listening when the phone is on.
    For the Moto X at least, the answer is simple... it doesn't include a Snapdragon 800 family SoC. But otherwise, yeah, I haven't heard of any device with the Snapdragon 800 that uses this feature either...
    02-24-2014 04:15 PM
    For the Moto X at least, the answer is simple... it doesn't include a Snapdragon 800 family SoC. But otherwise, yeah, I haven't heard of any device with the Snapdragon 800 that uses this feature either...
    Well my point was that Moto X went for always-on voice recognition, but they chose NOT to use the snapdragon 800, which probably would have been cheaper than the custom chip they had to fabricate. And the Nexus 5 does always listen to you while the phone is on, so clearly they wanted something close to the Moto X, but even with the snapdragon 800, they chose not to fully implement their listening feature.

But yea, I dunno.
    02-24-2014 04:36 PM
    From what I've gathered, Cortana is going to be more than a voice assistant, but an intelligent digital assistant that will do things without voice interaction as well.
    wasim sallam likes this.
    02-24-2014 07:05 PM
    but rather the companies that they sell my information to. That is what is creepy.
    Well if it makes you feel any better, Google does not sell your information. It sells a demographic.
    02-26-2014 05:43 PM
    Well if it makes you feel any better, Google does not sell your information. It sells a demographic.
    It doesn't, because their ToS do not restrict, in any meaningful way, their ability to do whatever they want with said data.
    02-26-2014 06:13 PM
    It doesn't, because their ToS do not restrict, in any meaningful way, their ability to do whatever they want with said data.
    But as far as we know they don't, even if they theoretically could. And wasn't Microsoft accused of selling Kinect data awhile ago? Who knows what all they do with the data they have on you?
    02-26-2014 06:17 PM
    thanks for you all, you really give me a good idea about using Cortana.
    she really can be helpful if it's going as you said. so now i'm excited about her. :D

i hope my wife will not asking me who is Cortana and why she is using my phone. hahahaa
    As long as Cortana doesn't say, "Your husband is going to be late because he's going to be with me and me alone. Wait your turn. You may be his wife, but we both know who really understands him."
    Ichigo, wasim sallam and vitor.rf like this.
    02-26-2014 06:46 PM
    I'm wondering if they are making Cortana more aware of your inputs and incoming data so there is less need to be always on. If you look at the leaked language article below, Cortana seems to ask whether or not you want her to perform certain tasks contextually.

Leaked: Cortana's language library (UPDATE 6) | The Verge Forums

Though this still isn't as seamless as an always on function. Maybe that too will be included for supported hardware or people who don't mind the extra battery drain.
    02-27-2014 08:50 AM
    But as far as we know they don't, even if they theoretically could. And wasn't Microsoft accused of selling Kinect data awhile ago? Who knows what all they do with the data they have on you?
    That sentence probably sounds very different to you than it does to me. I understand it to say that we're entirely ignorant and have absolutely no hope of understanding what any of these companies are doing. It's futile, so why the f*%& care about it. Let's Surrender. Give up. Become complacent (I'm obviously exaggerating just to get the point across).

Unfortunately, I must now also include the obligatory disclaimer. This is not about comparing the dark advertising lord Google to the shining saviour of privacy, prince Microsoft. Everything is grey, just different shades of it. That being said, understanding the differences between both companies business models (which is admittedly something few care to think about) should make it clear to any educated person that there must be very significant differences between the two, specifically in regard to whom they view their customers to be, and how they are incentivised to think about privacy.

The affects of those differences are apparent in their legal mumbo-jumbo (again, something few care to read). In their ToS, Microsoft commits themselves to keeping all the data they collect and store about their users private. They are also very explicit about the few exceptions, namely the technical contractors MS pays to operate and maintain their server farms around the globe. MS also legally restricts themselves from combining the data collected through their various services into a single user profile, meaning every service only gets access to the information it requires specifically to do its job. There is no combined and consolidated behavioural profile on each individual user, which exists solely as input for psychoanalysis software.

So, can we know that MS isn't breaking any of its legal obligations? No. I agree. We can't. However, Microsoft is a U.S. company, from which vast sums of money can be extracted by proving in court that they failed to meet their legal obligations. At least for me, that seems like a very good insurance policy. I'm willing to trust that more than I'm willing to trust most people.

Compare that with Google's ToS, where they go out of their way not to restrict themselves at all. Anything they collect is theirs to do with as they please. Can we assume they are selling data left and right. No. I agree. We can't. However, does that uncertainty justify the assumption that both companies will treat privacy equivalently, now and in the future? IMHO that is intellectually dishonest.
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-27-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
    MikeSo likes this.
    02-27-2014 02:23 PM
    My wife rarely used Siri on her iphone however, she now has a MotoX and I must say that the "touchless control" is accurate, intuitive, and highly useful. She can set her alarm from bed for example with the phone plugged in across the room. Or ask for directions and have them loaded into Google Maps without taking her hands off the wheel. I don't know exactly what the plans for "Cortana" are, however, if done right a voice assistant can be very useful. When is Cortana due to be launched? With 8.1 in the Spring?
    I use the voice command and speech-to-text on my Lumia 520 a lot when driving. If I speak in a regular way, I'd say it's about 80% accurate (and a lot of that 20% that doesn't work is due to road noise I think - it's always more accurate when I'm parked). Looking forward to improvements in Cortana.

But yeah, driving is a big thing. I would've thought WP8 should already have voice commands for directions, I was surprised when it didn't. It would probably be the most common use of it.
    02-27-2014 02:32 PM
    I understand it to say that we're entirely ignorant and have absolutely no hope of understanding what any of these companies are doing.
    From our position, this is pretty much the way it is.
    02-27-2014 02:34 PM
    From our position, this is pretty much the way it is.
    Exactly like I said, that is the typical excuse that allows people to ignore what they don't want to confront.
    02-27-2014 03:16 PM
    So not Cortana related but wanted to share.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20140227_0001.jpg   wp_ss_20140227_0002.png  
    02-27-2014 08:51 PM
45 12