The Using of Cortana

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
because i'm not familiar with digital assists i asked my friend about siri and what is the using of it.
actually he is not using it at all, he said it's hard to use voice commands all the time. also you should be online to use siri.
will cortana be the same??
what we can do with it and should we connect to the interent to use it.?
please tell

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much any voice assistant on a mobile phone will need an internet connection otherwise you'll have a very large amount of space taken up on the phone specifically for it.

As to what you can do with it, the usual. Get directions, ask about the weather, call someone, text someone, launch an app, map a place. Maybe more.

Some people get real excited by these things. I'm not one of them. I've tried a couple of voice assistants in the past but I've been unsatisfied with them and I end up not bothering. They're useful as long as they can understand you. If they can't then they become useless. Anyway, from my understanding it's not coming outside the US for a bit anyway.

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much any voice assistant on a mobile phone will need an internet connection otherwise you'll have a very large amount of space taken up on the phone specifically for it.

As to what you can do with it, the usual. Get directions, ask about the weather, call someone, text someone, launch an app, map a place. Maybe more.

Some people get real excited by these things. I'm not one of them. I've tried a couple of voice assistants in the past but I've been unsatisfied with them and I end up not bothering. They're useful as long as they can understand you. If they can't then they become useless. Anyway, from my understanding it's not coming outside the US for a bit anyway.

I think every thing you said you can do it by touching and like that.
so i'm not interesting too.
I just wanted to know why most of people are so excited about it :D

Last edited:

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think every thing you said you can do it buy touching and like that.
so i'm not interesting too.
I just wanted to know why most of people are so excited about it :D

Actually, Cortana will be (at least is said to be) more deeply integrated with the OS than Siri is
So it's actual use could be interesting. Not being just a "voice assistant", but beyond that.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
From the rumors I've read it seems like it should be more human like and begins to anticipate what you are saying to save time.

I'm sure there will be some initial kinks and a few easter eggs.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It's coming in a few markets at least, according to some files in the SDK (Great Britain, France, Germany, Spain, USA, and others). The SDK had a lot of info on Cortana so I put some info in this picture:
Cortana Info.jpg

Attachments

• Cortana Info.jpg
    Cortana Info.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
From what I've heard: Cortana will be so much more than a voice assistant. For example: if you have a text about going to get dinner, the section will be underlined (like an address or a website link). Tapping it will filled out relevant details on your calendar, automatically add the person you were talking to, to the list of people on the event.

It sounds really cool, and if it lives up to the hype: it will be so much more than voice assistant. Sound pretty awesome!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So rumors are circling now that you can rename Cortana to whatever you want, as well as change what she calls you. There is another rumor out there that she can be hands-free activated by a phrase (WP 8.1: You will be able to name Cortana whatever you want | WMPoweruser From WMPU)

I am not sure if Cortana will have the active listening feature, as its just a rumor really and we wont know for sure anything until april 2nd, but if it is like this: Moto X -- Always Ready - YouTube my life would be complete.. If for nothing else than a similar situation to where I was earlier today trying to find my phone.. if I could have just said "hey Cortana, where are you?" and have her reply I could have found my phone faster :p

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
My wife rarely used Siri on her iphone however, she now has a MotoX and I must say that the "touchless control" is accurate, intuitive, and highly useful. She can set her alarm from bed for example with the phone plugged in across the room. Or ask for directions and have them loaded into Google Maps without taking her hands off the wheel. I don't know exactly what the plans for "Cortana" are, however, if done right a voice assistant can be very useful. When is Cortana due to be launched? With 8.1 in the Spring?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So rumors are circling now that you can rename Cortana to whatever you want, as well as change what she calls you. There is another rumor out there that she can be hands-free activated by a phrase (WP 8.1: You will be able to name Cortana whatever you want | WMPoweruser From WMPU)

I am not sure if Cortana will have the active listening feature, as its just a rumor really and we wont know for sure anything until april 2nd, but if it is like this: Moto X -- Always Ready - YouTube my life would be complete.. If for nothing else than a similar situation to where I was earlier today trying to find my phone.. if I could have just said "hey Cortana, where are you?" and have her reply I could have found my phone faster :p

That'd be really cool. Reminds me of, "Xbox: On" currently feature with Kinect on the Xbox One. I'd love something like that. However, I would be a bit concerned about battery. My Lumia 1020 is still a battery champion, even when I do little to spare the battery. But I fear that the 'always listening' aspect could be brutal on the battery, especially since older hardware won't have any sort of dedicated chip to help conserve battery.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My concern was for battery too because I have one of the original Lumias with the battery issue and sometimes that thing drains in an hour from 100% if I start using nav and other features.. so maybe something that can be turned on / off.. or only on when charging.. just to have the option. And like you said with the xbox, on command, they have the tech for always listening in idle mode. Talk about bringing the platforms closer together ;) But I wont get my hopes up since no one seemed to have dug up any information about it really in the big leakers.. maybe a surprise for april, if any are left.. lol.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
It is awkward to use voice commands in public. I forget to use them on my WP now and therefore didn't realize just how much the voice input has improved, especially when used with a lot of background noise. I find that the Xbox voice commands work very well and if they are taking the best Xbox, Siri, Google Now, and TellMe, I think it should be pretty awesome. The intelligent actions, like creating links in texts is where I feel that WP has lagged behind Google and if they implement it well, it is sure to be a winner.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Yeah Imagine saying "JARVIS suit up MK42" and your Lumia morphs into an armour of iron.. BADASS

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It is awkward to use voice commands in public. I forget to use them on my WP now and therefore didn't realize just how much the voice input has improved, especially when used with a lot of background noise. I find that the Xbox voice commands work very well and if they are taking the best Xbox, Siri, Google Now, and TellMe, I think it should be pretty awesome. The intelligent actions, like creating links in texts is where I feel that WP has lagged behind Google and if they implement it well, it is sure to be a winner.

Yeah, that's the big thing: there's still a great social stigma against talking to your phone. It's just such a new technology, people haven't really adjusted yet. So while fun as a gimmick for parties, I don't actually see anyone who ever says, "Siri, remind me to do my homework tonight at 7pm," or "Siri, where can we find a Starbucks?"

It's a shame really: people invested such great man hours into this incredible software, but the Social Contract prevents their use.

Still, I guess that's why it's also pretty awesome isn't just a voice thing: but woven into the fabric of the entire OS. To get Cortana's help, no matter where I am on my phone, and without having to talk aloud, will be absolutely priceless. (assuming it works as advertised, of course)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That'd be really cool. Reminds me of, "Xbox: On" currently feature with Kinect on the Xbox One. I'd love something like that. However, I would be a bit concerned about battery. My Lumia 1020 is still a battery champion, even when I do little to spare the battery. But I fear that the 'always listening' aspect could be brutal on the battery, especially since older hardware won't have any sort of dedicated chip to help conserve battery.

I'm not sure how Motorola does it, but the battery life of the Moto X will rival the battery life of any smartphone, in spite of "always listening." Now, it's not the best there is, but it's right up there. My wife has one, and she's already gotten over 8 hours of screen on time. It would be interesting to see how that compares to the Lumia 1520/iPhone 5s, but as far as I know Android is the only OS that tracks screen on time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss