The Using of Cortana

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
The situation is simple here. Cortana is part of Microsoft's plan to stream line their products. In the future we will see cortana on windows 8 PC/Tablet's, and Xbox One. I think that is why they wanted Kinect 2.0 to be shipped with Xbox One.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how Motorola does it, but the battery life of the Moto X will rival the battery life of any smartphone, in spite of "always listening." Now, it's not the best there is, but it's right up there. My wife has one, and she's already gotten over 8 hours of screen on time. It would be interesting to see how that compares to the Lumia 1520/iPhone 5s, but as far as I know Android is the only OS that tracks screen on time.

The MotoX has some of the processing power dedicated to voice. Battery life is great and the touchless control works great too. Microsoft needs to move the ball, not just come up with a better Siri.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The MotoX has some of the processing power dedicated to voice.

Kind of...

The Moto X has a dedicated low power DSP that can run autonomously, "listening" for audio triggers, while the comparatively high power SoC (GPU, CPU, high power DSP, etc) are all turned off or in stand by.

Lumia devices lack the dedicated low power DSP, so they have no hope of doing the same without seriously draining the battery, as the constant listening would prevent the SoC from ever switching into a low power state.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Kind of...

The Moto X has a dedicated low power DSP that can run autonomously, "listening" for audio triggers, while the comparatively high power SoC (GPU, CPU, high power DSP, etc) are all turned off or in stand by.

Lumia devices lack the dedicated low power DSP, so they have no hope of doing the same without seriously draining the battery, as the constant listening would prevent the SoC from ever switching into a low power state.

Yea... What you said. All I know is that it works, nicely, and I hope that Microsoft moves in that direction. Maybe it's not possible, but I think passive listening is the future.

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
thanks for you all, you really give me a good idea about using Cortana.
she really can be helpful if it's going as you said. so now i'm excited about her. :D

Another handy use would be to be able to say "Call my wife and tell her I'm running 15 minutes late" (or Message instead of Call). Then your wife (stored under her name but Cortana knows it's your wife) receives a call "Hi, this is Cortana, your darling husband is running 15 minutes late." (hopefully you don't then have Cortana activate again with a nasty response relayed from your wife)

i hope my wife will not asking me who is Cortana and why she is using my phone. hahahaa

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If implemented correctly it will be very useful. It hooks into everything including location, date/time, current screen content, etc. and can pull on patterns it has learnt from you as well as data from Microsoft.

Say you are walking along a street of restaurants at dinner time and you activate Cortana by either speech or pressing search, Cortana might immediately respond with "Will you like to have steak for dinner, sir?" as it has already learnt your preference for food and dinner time. To which you might respond "Yes" and Cortana might say "Bob's steak house is 50 metres ahead on the right", or "No" then Cortana can say "How can I help you?".

Or let's say you arrive at work and Cortana activates automatically and asks "Would you like to turn on quiet mode" (because you've done this several times previously and is predicting you will want it), it guesses this based on your location, time of day, and day of week based on previous patterns. Or an extended version of this "Will you like to turn on quiet mode every time you reach this location?"

Another handy use would be to be able to say "Call my wife and tell her I'm running 15 minutes late" (or Message instead of Call). Then your wife (stored under her name but Cortana knows it's your wife) receives a call "Hi, this is Cortana, your darling husband is running 15 minutes late." (hopefully you don't then have Cortana activate again with a nasty response relayed from your wife)

So, lots of very handy uses that are so convenient and smart not really because of voice recognition itself (it will be text controlled also), but contextual awareness based on all of the inputs and recognition of previous patterns.

Agreed, this would be very useful. But isn't this why we call Google "creepy" and "invasive?" Google Now already does a lot of this kind of thing.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
And next we have Cortana gaining sentient. You'll have restaurants calling you up and asking you about your reservations. You'll tell them you did not make any reservations and Cortana will reply "I am hungry, sir."

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, this would be very useful. But isn't this why we call Google "creepy" and "invasive?" Google Now already does a lot of this kind of thing.

Except a lot of those things would be included in Cortana's "notebook" which we can edit, delete, and stop Cortana from adding to so we can have a level of privacy control of what cortana does and doesn't know about us so someone that has a concern over certain features can disable them on Cortana.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

For me, this by itself isn't creepy. What I do find creepy is the thought that this information about me isn't mine to control, or that the company collecting this information doesn't view me as the customer, but rather the companies that they sell my information to. That is what is creepy.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

Not necessarily. The Snapdragon 800 has an "Always-on voice recognition" feature that works with standby, so the Icon and 1520 could presumably use that if Nokia really wanted it.

Snapdragon 800 processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors

I still think it's kind of doubtful though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily.

Okay, right, forgot about the Snapdragon 800, primarily because I've never seen it used before on any device. That would make the 1520 and the Icon potentially capable of the same. Still, I've yet to hear that WP supports that part of the SoC, so it might not make much difference. Maybe another feature of WP8.1?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily. The Snapdragon 800 has an "Always-on voice recognition" feature that works with standby, so the Icon and 1520 could presumably use that if Nokia really wanted it.

Snapdragon 800 processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors

I still think it's kind of doubtful though.

I'm actually curious about this. If the snapdragon 800 has this feature, which I read it does, how come no phone takes advantage of it. Motorola went with a custom chip for the Moto X, and the Nexus 5 is only listening when the phone is on. There must be something about the snapdragon 800 that doesn't play well with realworld impementations of always-listening functionality

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually curious about this. If the snapdragon 800 has this feature, which I read it does, how come no phone takes advantage of it. Motorola went with a custom chip for the Moto X, and the Nexus 5 is only listening when the phone is on.

For the Moto X at least, the answer is simple... it doesn't include a Snapdragon 800 family SoC. But otherwise, yeah, I haven't heard of any device with the Snapdragon 800 that uses this feature either...

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
For the Moto X at least, the answer is simple... it doesn't include a Snapdragon 800 family SoC. But otherwise, yeah, I haven't heard of any device with the Snapdragon 800 that uses this feature either...

Well my point was that Moto X went for always-on voice recognition, but they chose NOT to use the snapdragon 800, which probably would have been cheaper than the custom chip they had to fabricate. And the Nexus 5 does always listen to you while the phone is on, so clearly they wanted something close to the Moto X, but even with the snapdragon 800, they chose not to fully implement their listening feature.

But yea, I dunno.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I've gathered, Cortana is going to be more than a voice assistant, but an intelligent digital assistant that will do things without voice interaction as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't, because their ToS do not restrict, in any meaningful way, their ability to do whatever they want with said data.

But as far as we know they don't, even if they theoretically could. And wasn't Microsoft accused of selling Kinect data awhile ago? Who knows what all they do with the data they have on you?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
thanks for you all, you really give me a good idea about using Cortana.
she really can be helpful if it's going as you said. so now i'm excited about her. :D

i hope my wife will not asking me who is Cortana and why she is using my phone. hahahaa

As long as Cortana doesn't say, "Your husband is going to be late because he's going to be with me and me alone. Wait your turn. You may be his wife, but we both know who really understands him."

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if they are making Cortana more aware of your inputs and incoming data so there is less need to be always on. If you look at the leaked language article below, Cortana seems to ask whether or not you want her to perform certain tasks contextually.

Leaked: Cortana's language library (UPDATE 6) | The Verge Forums

Though this still isn't as seamless as an always on function. Maybe that too will be included for supported hardware or people who don't mind the extra battery drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb