The Using of Cortana

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But as far as we know they don't, even if they theoretically could. And wasn't Microsoft accused of selling Kinect data awhile ago? Who knows what all they do with the data they have on you?

That sentence probably sounds very different to you than it does to me. I understand it to say that we're entirely ignorant and have absolutely no hope of understanding what any of these companies are doing. It's futile, so why the f*%& care about it. Let's Surrender. Give up. Become complacent (I'm obviously exaggerating just to get the point across).

Unfortunately, I must now also include the obligatory disclaimer. This is not about comparing the dark advertising lord Google to the shining saviour of privacy, prince Microsoft. Everything is grey, just different shades of it. That being said, understanding the differences between both companies business models (which is admittedly something few care to think about) should make it clear to any educated person that there must be very significant differences between the two, specifically in regard to whom they view their customers to be, and how they are incentivised to think about privacy.

The affects of those differences are apparent in their legal mumbo-jumbo (again, something few care to read). In their ToS, Microsoft commits themselves to keeping all the data they collect and store about their users private. They are also very explicit about the few exceptions, namely the technical contractors MS pays to operate and maintain their server farms around the globe. MS also legally restricts themselves from combining the data collected through their various services into a single user profile, meaning every service only gets access to the information it requires specifically to do its job. There is no combined and consolidated behavioural profile on each individual user, which exists solely as input for psychoanalysis software.

So, can we know that MS isn't breaking any of its legal obligations? No. I agree. We can't. However, Microsoft is a U.S. company, from which vast sums of money can be extracted by proving in court that they failed to meet their legal obligations. At least for me, that seems like a very good insurance policy. I'm willing to trust that more than I'm willing to trust most people.

Compare that with Google's ToS, where they go out of their way not to restrict themselves at all. Anything they collect is theirs to do with as they please. Can we assume they are selling data left and right. No. I agree. We can't. However, does that uncertainty justify the assumption that both companies will treat privacy equivalently, now and in the future? IMHO that is intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My wife rarely used Siri on her iphone however, she now has a MotoX and I must say that the "touchless control" is accurate, intuitive, and highly useful. She can set her alarm from bed for example with the phone plugged in across the room. Or ask for directions and have them loaded into Google Maps without taking her hands off the wheel. I don't know exactly what the plans for "Cortana" are, however, if done right a voice assistant can be very useful. When is Cortana due to be launched? With 8.1 in the Spring?

I use the voice command and speech-to-text on my Lumia 520 a lot when driving. If I speak in a regular way, I'd say it's about 80% accurate (and a lot of that 20% that doesn't work is due to road noise I think - it's always more accurate when I'm parked). Looking forward to improvements in Cortana.

But yeah, driving is a big thing. I would've thought WP8 should already have voice commands for directions, I was surprised when it didn't. It would probably be the most common use of it.

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So not Cortana related but wanted to share.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140227_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140227_0001.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 3
  • wp_ss_20140227_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140227_0002.png
    944.3 KB · Views: 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members