I'm away that the L520 has the Nokia black update already but what about 8.1 ?

Also if I bought a brand new L520 I'm March, would it have black or 8.1 pre installed or would I have to do an OTA ?
    02-20-2014 05:15 AM
    WP8.1 won't be released until after April, way after. So any phone you buy now won't have it. We've just got some information about it but it hasn't been officially released which we expect to happen in April at BUILD.

If your phone is unlocked and not carrier restricted then you'll probably get it fairly quick, depending on any work that Nokia has to do. They seem to always be behind. So expect anywhere from end of May to October.

No I'm not kidding.
    02-20-2014 05:22 AM
    juni to august they said and it would be longer
    02-20-2014 05:35 AM
    WP8.1 won't be hitting any devices, any time soon. April 2 is when WP8.1 is expected to be announced at BUILD. That's just the /announcement/, when the world gets and official peak at what's coming (rather than all of the leaks, which the folks at Redmond are not very happy about). It's also expected that the Developer Preview for Windows Phone 8.1 will be announced and/or unveiled.

So in terms of expecting a phone bought in March having it? No such luck: as far as Microsoft is concerned, they won't even acknowledge it exists. Try asking them about it, they'll say there's no such thing.

Even then, phones can sit on the shelf for quite some time, so it still likely won't have the latest software. I bought a Lumia 520 just a week ago: it was still rocking GDR1, so I had to update it to Black OTA.

As for when WP8.1 will become available for devices through normal distribution channels (I.E: carriers)? I'd hope it will hit 90%+ of devices before the end of 2014... But who knows? The carriers can be total bitches...
    02-20-2014 05:47 AM
    No, only for phones with 2gb ram
    02-20-2014 05:57 AM
    No, only for phones with 2gb ram
    don't ever do that to people asking questions .... What good do you get by misleading someone on the internet.... Fyi available on all current window phone 8 IRRESPECTIVE of ram processor and what not....
    02-20-2014 06:01 AM
    WP8.1 won't be hitting any devices, any time soon. April 2 is when WP8.1 is expected to be announced at BUILD. That's just the /announcement/, when the world gets and official peak at what's coming (rather than all of the leaks, which the folks at Redmond are not very happy about). It's also expected that the Developer Preview for Windows Phone 8.1 will be announced and/or unveiled.

So in terms of expecting a phone bought in March having it? No such luck: as far as Microsoft is concerned, they won't even acknowledge it exists. Try asking them about it, they'll say there's no such thing.

Even then, phones can sit on the shelf for quite some time, so it still likely won't have the latest software. I bought a Lumia 520 just a week ago: it was still rocking GDR1, so I had to update it to Black OTA.

As for when WP8.1 will become available for devices through normal distribution channels (I.E: carriers)? I'd hope it will hit 90%+ of devices before the end of 2014... But who knows? The carriers can be total bitches...
    Any bugs after the OTA ?

The reason I'm so reluctant to do an OTA is because I did it with 2 Androids and not long after both started to experience New bugs.

Is it the same with wp ?
    02-21-2014 02:45 AM
    Jaskys has got a point though. I don't see how a phone with 512mb of ram can handle Cortana and Action Center, which have to be working in the background and ready to deploy (read loaded on ram) all the time. L520 even struggles to load Speech sometimes, not to mention Nokia Camera (especially on a cold start.) They might completely scrub Cortana from 520. I just hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    02-21-2014 05:29 AM
    Any bugs after the OTA ?

The reason I'm so reluctant to do an OTA is because I did it with 2 Androids and not long after both started to experience New bugs.

Is it the same with wp ?
    Nope, working like a champ. It's not as fast as my 1020, but it /is/ a $40 smartphone after all. So thankfully, Windows Phone is far more stable and far less bug ridden than Android. And, in the incredibly unlikely event something goes wrong: Nokia has an official software suite you can use to reinstall the OS.
    02-21-2014 05:42 AM
    Jaskys has got a point though. I don't see how a phone with 512mb of ram can handle Cortana and Action Center, which have to be working in the background and ready to deploy (read loaded on ram) all the time. L520 even struggles to load Speech sometimes, not to mention Nokia Camera (especially on a cold start.) They might completely scrub Cortana from 520. I just hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    The Lumia 520 will definitely receive Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft promised.

The issue is, as you say, will it receive all the features? I say no. Some features might be toned down or stripped out altogether for low-end devices. But the again, Microsoft has done an amazing job of optimizing what they've got so far, so maybe they can do something miraculous?

So I'm sure the Lumia 520 will receive the next-gen software, the question is: how intact will it be?
    Akash Chaudhuri likes this.
    02-21-2014 05:46 AM