Its unreal how "unfinished" WP 8 really is. I was reminded of this yesterday when I downloaded a PDF file on my phone. I wanted to get it off the phone on to my PC later to print it and couldnt. Cant upload to Skydrive or email or anything. Its just on your phone....somewhere.

Another case to have a file system of sorts that is accessible, along with more email attachment formats.

As much as I like WP, MS really came out slow with basic features. They either over looked some or ...I dont know what. 8.1 looks awesome, but it would behoove MS to not let up once 8.1 is out. They need to innovate as well and be much, much more efficient at getting updates/improvements out. I dont want to wait another year or two for a major update to get new features or features we should really have already.
    Aidan Horn likes this.
    02-21-2014 07:20 AM
    Its unreal how "unfinished" WP 8 really is. I was reminded of this yesterday when I downloaded a PDF file on my phone. I wanted to get it off the phone on to my PC later to print it and couldnt. Cant upload to Skydrive or email or anything. Its just on your phone....somewhere.

Another case to have a file system of sorts that is accessible, along with more email attachment formats.

As much as I like WP, MS really came out slow with basic features. They either over looked some or ...I dont know what. 8.1 looks awesome, but it would behoove MS to not let up once 8.1 is out. They need to innovate as well and be much, much more efficient at getting updates/improvements out. I dont want to wait another year or two for a major update to get new features or features we should really have already.
    Did you look at the office hub? Because PDF files show up there, I downloaded some PDF files before and it always shows at the office hub
    FinancialP likes this.
    02-21-2014 07:29 AM
    I understand your annoyance, but you are overstating the problem somewhat. You can simply share the PDFs on your phone to your Onedrive and get them that way. It's not difficult. Just long press on the PDF listed in the MS PDF reader app and select share, in the normal manner. Just like you do with other documents. Ideally I'd like to be able to just send them over Homegroup but Onedrive will do the job.
    02-21-2014 07:29 AM
    The PDF doesnt show up in the Office hub. I dont have MS Reader installed, I use acrobat, and long press does nothing there.

It shouldnt be a puzzle to do something so simple. At least from the sounds of it, in 8.1 this shouldnt be an issue.
    BBMINI likes this.
    02-21-2014 07:36 AM
    Use ucweb/ucbrowser to download pdf files then export to music hub, connect to p.c go to music/unknown artist you'll find your pdf there just copy to PC and change the extension from mp3 to pdf... Use ucweb to download anything you want in the future.
    DaveGx and Aidan Horn like this.
    02-21-2014 07:49 AM
    Use ucweb/ucbrowser to download pdf files then export to music hub, connect to p.c go to music/unknown artist you'll find your pdf there just copy to PC and change the extension from mp3 to pdf... Use ucweb to download anything you want in the future.
    Good to know. Ill do that until 8.1 arrives where I expect things to be a bit better.
    02-21-2014 07:50 AM
    Security put up by M.S on W.P8 is really crippling to the o.s at times... 8.1 can't come any sooner..
    02-21-2014 08:03 AM
    The PDF doesnt show up in the Office hub. I dont have MS Reader installed, I use acrobat, and long press does nothing there.

It shouldnt be a puzzle to do something so simple. At least from the sounds of it, in 8.1 this shouldnt be an issue.
    The problem you have, then, is with Adobe. Not the fault of MS or Nokia. MS's app works fine. Adobe stuff has always been user unfriendly. I suggest you just get a decent PDF app on your phone. I agree that WP8 needs changes, especially around file handling. This one, however, is not the problem you are making it out to be. You're just doing it wrong.
    Torch4x4 likes this.
    02-21-2014 10:25 AM
    The problem you have, then, is with Adobe. Not the fault of MS or Nokia. MS's app works fine. Adobe stuff has always been user unfriendly. I suggest you just get a decent PDF app on your phone. I agree that WP8 needs changes, especially around file handling. This one, however, is not the problem you are making it out to be. You're just doing it wrong.
    I've found this issue to not be nearly as simplistic as you're making it out to seem. It's not as much that DaveGx is "doing it wrong" as it is that MS's logic and system for handling pdf files completely sucks, so I would say there's plenty of legitimate fault to be placed on MS for creating exactly the problem that DaveGx is making it out to be (or, more accurately, the problem that he's experiencing like others have experienced when trying to figure out what should be a straightforward, logical, intuitive process).

A few comments about working with PDF files on WP8.
    - The actual Adobe Reader app is truly pointless and worthless unless you want to upload everything to Acrobat.com and share from there. Pretty disappointing, but true.
    - The MS Reader app does allow uploading PDFs to OneDrive and then sharing a link, but my OneDrive is my personal drive and I almost always am sharing pdf files for work, so there should absolutely be a way to simply attach a pdf to any outgoing email I want to without having to overlap personal and business uses (and as an actual direct attachment rather than a download link). My personal Outlook.com account is what I use for operating my phone and all the the MS functions on the phone, but MS should realize that plenty of businesspeople will need to handle pdf files without needing to use their personal accounts. Seems like rather shortsighted logic in MS thinking about how WP8 devices might be used.
    - I shouldn't need to download a specific MS app just to be able to handle and send pdf files. I suspect that most businesspeople, even very smart businesspeople, are going to assume that the phone should handle pdf files smoothly and seemlessly without having to manually add anything to the device.
    - When I start a new email and press the "attach a file" icon, I should be able to easily find and choose a pdf file to attach, not just attach ONLY a photo from my camera roll. This is totally ridiculous.
    - I've never seen an opened pdf show up in my Office hub. Maybe they do/can, but I've never seen one in there -- just typical Office files only.
    - When I download a pdf from an incoming email, it goes somewhere on the phone (but it's never clear where); MS should make it pretty obvious to users where it's been stored (a Downloads folder, perhaps), and it should be easy for me to then find it and send it again without having to share everything via a link to OneDrive.
    - My guess is that WP is never going to make much inroads into the business user market if they continue to view file using and sharing the way they do with WP8. At least with my BlackBerrys I could download a pdf, know where it went on the phone, change the file name if desired/needed, then attach it to a brand new outgoing email (not send a download link) with no problems whatsoever and without having to use my personal account features to do it.

DaveGx was right in saying "It shouldn't be a puzzle to do something so simple". I would add that it also shouldn't be a puzzle to do something that's so common. Jeesh. I'm a relatively tech-savvy person with several years of experience in using smartphones for business, so I'm completely dumbfounded that MS has made it this challenging and unintuitive to just save and send a pdf file. Seems like this same issue would have been a huge complaint from employees at Microsoft who repeatedly find themselves saying "Why the hell is this so hard and complex?".
    theefman likes this.
    02-21-2014 03:33 PM
    Seems like this same issue would have been a huge complaint from employees at Microsoft who repeatedly find themselves saying "Why the hell is this so hard and complex?".
    They don't care. They're probably using iPhones & Androids.
    BBMINI and theefman like this.
    02-21-2014 03:55 PM
    Seriously, you can't figure out how to send a .PDF?
    02-21-2014 03:56 PM
    PDF reader will share a PDF using skydrive-onedrive. Once you open the PDF from your email it will show in PDF reader documents list. Tap and hold to share. I have a question OP. How did you get the PDF on your phone? Assuming by email why isn't that email available on your PC?
    02-21-2014 04:17 PM
    Use the right app PDF Reader from Microsoft instead of Acrobat Reader from Adobe
    02-21-2014 04:37 PM
    PDF reader will share a PDF using skydrive-onedrive. Once you open the PDF from your email it will show in PDF reader documents list. Tap and hold to share. I have a question OP. How did you get the PDF on your phone? Assuming by email why isn't that email available on your PC?
    Fair question.

Ever since picking up WP8 I've found that my phone is a phone, not a full on productive device. This sort of task seems routine for an iOS or Android unit to accomplish, but I carry a laptop and a Win8 tablet... I would much prefer to do something like this from a computer.

If you need a file explorer and all that stuff to feel content with your phone, I would suggest that maybe Windows Phone isn't for you and you need a more versatile platform.

I have always felt WP does less than the competition, but what it does do, it excels at. I'd love to see WP get more feature rich, but I also don't want it to get convoluted and lose its allure.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Dave Blake likes this.
    02-21-2014 04:48 PM
    Fair question.

Ever since picking up WP8 I've found that my phone is a phone, not a full on productive device. This sort of task seems routine for an iOS or Android unit to accomplish, but I carry a laptop and a Win8 tablet... I would much prefer to do something like this from a computer.

If you need a file explorer and all that stuff to feel content with your phone, I would suggest that maybe Windows Phone isn't for you and you need a more versatile platform.

I have always felt WP does less than the competition, but what it does do, it excels at. I'd love to see WP get more feature rich, but I also don't want it to get convoluted and lose its allure.

/\Exactly this/\

I had a LGOGP Android device I liked that I could print to my Bluetooth printer (Not an option on a WP at this time) till one day it just decided it was not going to work. I tried for near an hour to get it to print. Once I gave up it only took me about 5 minutes to fire up my Surface and get the job done.

I two hope that whatever Microsoft adds to WP 8.1 continues the proud tradition of flawless performance.
    02-21-2014 06:26 PM
    The OP was only trying to get a PDF off the phone, not email it as an attachment or any other such thing. To do what the OP wanted is easy. I agree that there is a lot about the file handling that needs improvement, as I stated. That is not the point of this thread however. This is a simple issue.
    02-22-2014 08:45 PM
    The OP was only trying to get a PDF off the phone, not email it as an attachment or any other such thing. To do what the OP wanted is easy. I agree that there is a lot about the file handling that needs improvement, as I stated. That is not the point of this thread however. This is a simple issue.
    The question was how did it get on the phone, email, http, etc. The point we were getting at was if it came in an email, you could just open the email on the PC, if it came from the Web you can open it from the PC, etc.

A question of work flow I guess.

02-22-2014 10:44 PM
    In my case, I don't even remember where did I get the pdf from (from PC maybe). In my phone I had only Adobe reader and used it to highlight text. After that I wanted to send the file to some cloud from where I could open it using other devices too and continue with highlighting no matter which device I would use. Acrobat.com or OneDrive possibly might do the job.
    I have uploaded the file to acrobat.com, but it seems that even though the app on the phone can highlight text, I cannot do it online while connected using my PC......
    So, I think it is time to go for OneDrive... Just take a look how many steps did it take to put a pdf to the OneDrive.... (the source is my phone, not http, not email)
    1. I cannot see the file on PC while the phone is connected to it via USB (!!!). I have downloaded MS PDF reader hoping that MS PDF reader would see the file on my phone and it will be easy to upload it to the OneDrive. But NO! MS PDF reader cannot see the file!!!
    2. So I had to sign up to Acrobat.com
    3. I have uploaded my file there.
    4. I have downloaded the file from Acrobat.com to my PC.
    5. Logged in to OneDrive.
    6. Uploaded my file.
    After that, if I open the file online using my PC, I still cannot highlight text! Same is for MS PDF reader.... And since this time I have opened the file using MS PDF reader, I cannot open the same file using Adobe reader... This is stupid. Do I need another copy of the same file ?? Such a limited functionability!
    Conclusion:
    1. I will stick to Acrobat.com and use Adobe reader for wp. This really good, because Adobe reader has much more functionability than MS PDF reader (going to any page or bookmark you want, highlighting, commenting).
    2. Assigning every file with one particular application, not being able to change it, not seeing the file itself on any folder where we would be able to do with it whatever we want (share it to any place we want, rename, attach to emails) is NOT user friendly and NOT intuitive at all !!!
    09-06-2014 03:57 PM