The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-24-2014 08:42 PM
66 123
tools
    My apologies, I haven't been on this site, nor kept up with Windows Phone, since I had my Nokia Lumia 900 back in 2012.
    I realize I've been a bit abrasive, sorry about that.
    But its just the annoyance from the weeks up to and during Black's rollout where people would spam posts and threads about whether X device will be updated, not even bothering to search or read.
    02-22-2014 11:33 AM
    I switched mainly because performance on windows phone is much more consistent and smooth than my experience with android. My Lumia 520 is a little slower than the high end android (sony xperia) I had before especially in processor intensive tasks like loading web pages with loads of pictures. But its so much smoother and more consistent.
    Secondly I like the design of the UI.
    Thirdly I like Nokia hardware.
    Regular official software updates is another positive which you don't get on android other than with Nexus (in my experience)

The biggest thing was the smooth lag free UI though.
    02-22-2014 11:35 AM
    I realize I've been a bit abrasive, sorry about that.
    But its just the annoyance from the weeks up to and during Black's rollout where people would spam posts and threads about whether X device will be updated, not even bothering to search or read.
    Hey, no worries it's okay! I used to see the same thing over on CrackBerry and Android Central when I would visit those sites. I am hoping that the Nokia Lumia 1020 will get WP 8.1 as I need Google calendar and contacts. I have always been a Nokia fan, and I look to return to using their phones.
    02-22-2014 12:04 PM
    Will go back to my nexus4 and wait for 8.1 to see if i can enjoy this OS more. I hate the browser and makes several sites impossible to browse..when i was using android i used my pc lesser and lesser, with wp8 its the opposit.
    its not the browser, its bad html coding by the website. Instead of going cross platform they went webkit
    02-22-2014 02:16 PM
    This says a lot you know, personally I have seen alot of great features on Android phone but the finished result is not that great, who would like to hard reset phones every 2 months, every 2 weeks the phone behaves like there is a virus eating it up, this problem is no where on the windows phone OS, that's the specialty of these phones, they don't five you the glamor and the makeup van but a peaceful home.
    Android is frustrating experience, not to mention only high end devices has TRIM support which causes every device without it to get slower and slower over the time, until you do factory reset.. First I liked the option to choose from 10 different keyboards, now it is that I would gladly take the one the OS offers me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    02-22-2014 03:25 PM
    its not the browser, its bad html coding by the website. Instead of going cross platform they went webkit
    which makes my browsing experience bad , no matter who's fault it is
    savagelizards likes this.
    02-22-2014 04:08 PM
    @ItnStln511 I have had Google calendar and contacts on my WP8 for a while now. You just have to enable it on Google's website.

https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/
    02-22-2014 04:27 PM
    @ItnStln511 I have had Google calendar and contacts on my WP8 for a while now. You just have to enable it on Google's website.

https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
    02-22-2014 08:08 PM
    Jumped ship back to WP from Nexus 5 after the digitizer on the Nexus decided to quit after 5 months.
    Truman82 likes this.
    02-22-2014 09:23 PM
    I picked up an icon today and so far I'm liking it pretty well. I do have a feeling it will grow on me over time. Coming from android the main reason for the switch was picking up a surface2 when it was released. I'm starting to like the new windows so figured I get a phone to compliment the surface. Android was getting a little tiring, always tweaking something, endless tweaking it seemed and while fun it gets tiring eventually. Gonna give windows a shot.
    02-23-2014 12:55 AM
    I'm 9 months in from my switch from Android. I'll never go back to Android. The performance of the Windows Phone OS is just so much better, faster, simpler, and convenient. I love the built-in features like Live Tiles, Office, OneNote, OneDrive, and Xbox gaming.
    Truman82 likes this.
    02-23-2014 02:44 AM
    I'm looking to switch to WP from Android. Quick question: is it possible to sync Google calendar and contacts? This would be the only thing holding me back.

Yes you can if you have been using Google active sync in the past. For me it works flawless but for some it doesn't

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk
    02-23-2014 02:49 AM
    In the poster's defense, it's not a totally off the wall question. (Yes, it could be asked less often!) All WP8s CAN get 8.1, but I doubt they all will. There are 2 barriers between Microsoft and the (carrier branded) phone: the manufacturer and the carrier. However, the Developer Preview program takes care of that problem. But I doubt whether the vast majority of users knows about it, or even cares about updates. How many users ignore the update notification? We're probably a small subset that sits and mashes the Check for updates button.

How does the developer preview program take care of this, and how cab someone whose not a developer under contract take advantage of this? I am very suspicious that AT&T isn't going to update the 920.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    02-23-2014 02:53 AM
    Yes you can if you have been using Google active sync in the past. For me it works flawless but for some it doesn't

The way I understand this is because I used Exchange Active Sync on my Nokia Lumia 900 and iPad in the past, If I were to get the Nokia Lumia 1020, I'd still be able to use Exchange Active Sync. Is this understanding correct?
    02-23-2014 07:06 AM
    Started with wp7, then wp8
    got frustrated by lack of apps
    HTC one - android, but never stopped following wp8 news since i simply love the OS
    will most likely return to wp in another year
    02-23-2014 07:17 AM
    How does the developer preview program take care of this, and how cab someone whose not a developer under contract take advantage of this? I am very suspicious that AT&T isn't going to update the 920.
    Anyone is allowed to sign up to be a developer even if you have no intention of creating an app. Download the preview app. A link will take you to a site where you can register as a developer. Then you will get advanced preview of the next update. I did it with GDR3. There is no guarantee that 8.1 will get a preview though, at least I don't think so.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    02-23-2014 07:30 AM
    I'm looking to switch to WP from Android. Quick question: is it possible to sync Google calendar and contacts? This would be the only thing holding me back.
    As a matter of fact, you don't need to wait for WP8.1 to sync Google calendar and contacts. WP8 already supports calDAV and cardDAV (Google's sync protocols for calendar and contacts)
    02-23-2014 07:37 AM
    Um.. with the recent news that windows phone can be ported on android devices.. if the OEM allows.. not sure what ill do :/
    Wouldnt mind a windows phone OS inside my HTC one
    02-23-2014 09:23 AM
    There an app in windows phone market called gcontacts .using this app u can easily sync google conta
    02-23-2014 11:44 AM
    My apologies, I haven't been on this site, nor kept up with Windows Phone, since I had my Nokia Lumia 900 back in 2012.

True, I am almost certain that not all will get WP 8.1. Being able to sync my Google calendar and contacts is a must for me though.
    as mentioned above by ccabellero, caldav and carddav are already supprted. In the sync settings for gmail, ensure that syncing for calendar and contacts is enabled.
    02-23-2014 11:57 AM
    There an app in windows phone market called gcontacts .using this app u can easily sync google conta
    as mentioned above by ccabellero, caldav and carddav are already supprted. In the sync settings for gmail, ensure that syncing for calendar and contacts is enabled.
    Thanks for the confirmation! Will it allow me to sync multiple calendars or just the default?
    02-23-2014 12:53 PM
    Switching soon as well, from Android.
    Got the HTC One S, but damn it, i hate the instability of the system, some apps aren't available because of the lower system f. ex. gingerbreat doesn't get threema. i'm glad and excited for the journey with my upcoming Lumia 1520. (ordering it the next week ;) )

some apps i am really missing:
    threema, i emailed them and they haven't planed yet to build an app.
    fotball scores app? Soccer Livescores? is this good?
    offline translator?
    gentle alarm from mobitobi
    PVStar+ (youtube player, where you can put screen off and it only loads the audio) heard that mytube can do this as well?
    psx emulator with openGL, for android i got fpse and i got the PSVita but some games are missing. =/ That would be freaking awesom, the cherry of the cake, not getting wrong here :)

do you know some good alternatives for my favourites?

btw one question, since file picker IS coming:
    am i seeing it correctly that i am not able to upload for example pictures threw IE?
    Last edited by chrisnx; 02-23-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Truman82 likes this.
    02-23-2014 12:58 PM
    I think for football, soccer scores the Bing Sports app would work well though I don't use it.
    Offline translation: Translator by Microsoft is very good. Offline Language packs currently available: Russian, Norwegian, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese simplified to English.
    Yes, mytube can play only audio with the screen off.
    02-23-2014 01:17 PM
    The way I understand this is because I used Exchange Active Sync on my Nokia Lumia 900 and iPad in the past, If I were to get the Nokia Lumia 1020, I'd still be able to use Exchange Active Sync. Is this understanding correct?

Yes..

02-23-2014 01:32 PM
    Probably answered but the way I can save my contacts to Google servers, can I do the same on wp? Incase someday have to wipe the phone or it does the iPhone trick to just wipe the contacts without asking ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    02-23-2014 01:35 PM
66 123