When will we see new WP devices?

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
It's been said that Nokia won't be bringing any new Lumia/WP device for the MWC. So when can we expect the new line of Lumias?
I am eligible for an upgrade in September, so I hope there will be something new being released before then.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
MWC won't have anything relating to Windows Phone, I'm sure. Windows Phone 8.1 is just so close, why release a phone now? There will be the Nokia X, running forked Android. But other than that abomination, nothing from Nokia.

Expect new devices to be announced at BUILD or shortly after: when WP8.1 becomes official. But no worries, there will /definitely/ be next-gen devices out by September.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I know the guys that write the articles say there won't be anything at MWC, aside from the Android one. However, I am still hopeful that they may mention some others. They don't have to talk about the OS, they could still hint a a 1020 replacement though, amongst others. My contract is up in November, and I am hoping for a 1030 (sorry, best I could do). If they don't have one of those out then I would actually consider a 1020. There will be a lot of 920 owners out of their two year contract in the last quarter of this year though.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There are always surprises at the MWC. Anyone remember when Nokia pulled out the 808 with a 41MP camera? That shocked everybody.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I remember WPC saying that there wouldn't be any hardware released with 8.1... that's not to say by September there wont be any but no one is expecting anything new in April, especially with the MS / Nokia purchase, it may take time for them to make a new device. That being said, I doubt HTC or Samsung is going to do anything..

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
According to the rumours, I think 'Goldfinger' and 'moneypenny' are being released around the same time as 8.1. Goldfinger is supposedly the high end Lumia 920 successor and moneypenny is a lower end phone with dual sim variants in some regions. Probably be out some time in the summer.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
According to the rumours, I think 'Goldfinger' and 'moneypenny' are being released around the same time as 8.1. Goldfinger is supposedly the high end Lumia 920 successor and moneypenny is a lower end phone with dual sim variants in some regions. Probably be out some time in the summer.

To quote Daniel Rubino "Im not hearing good things about Goldfinger"

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
MWC won't have anything relating to Windows Phone, I'm sure. Windows Phone 8.1 is just so close, why release a phone now? There will be the Nokia X, running forked Android. But other than that abomination, nothing from Nokia.

Expect new devices to be announced at BUILD or shortly after: when WP8.1 becomes official. But no worries, there will /definitely/ be next-gen devices out by September.
Why wait to release a new phone if it'll get WP8.1 anyway? No reason to delay hardware for software if you can always update it later on.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Why wait to release a new phone if it'll get WP8.1 anyway? No reason to delay hardware for software if you can always update it later on.

I think it has to do with new hardware abilities that will be unlocked in Windows Phone 8.1. For example, the Lumia 1020 couldn't be released until GDR2, because GDR2 is what brought support for dual-photo capture and support for such a massive sensor. The Lumia 1520 couldn't launch until Update 3, because that's what made Windows Phone 8 compatible with 1080p displays and quad-core chips.

So it likely has to do with letting the newly released devices take advantage of all the new features included in Windows Phone 8.1: hardware and software alike. After all, who wants to buy a latest generation flagship phone (where in the US, they'll have to sell their soul away to a carrier for another two years), only to have it not be able to take advantage of some awesome new hardware features released only weeks later?

And I also stand corrected on this event being lacking in Windows-related news. Day one, and we're already starting to get some juicy info from the folks in Redmond. Boy am I glad to be wrong. :)

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
And I also stand corrected on this event being lacking in Windows-related news. Day one, and we're already starting to get some juicy info from the folks in Redmond. Boy am I glad to be wrong. :)

Annnnnd that's probably about all we'll here but it is for sure more than we were expecting (or at least more than I was expecting). :)

As for the hardware requirements, don't forget the WP8.1 will have support for not having physical buttons. If they release a phone now it has to have those buttons, but with what was leaked today if WP can run on any Android hardware, we MAY be able to get a Samsung G4 or Note 2 or whatever spec running WP8.1 And all the lower end stuff could have a lack of buttons to make them even cheaper. They may also be waiting for MS to lower their licensing fees if they haven't already as rumored (though apparently MS won't comment on this) to release slightly cheaper phones (or for higher profit margins).

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I know the guys that write the articles say there won't be anything at MWC, aside from the Android one. However, I am still hopeful that they may mention some others. They don't have to talk about the OS, they could still hint a a 1020 replacement though, amongst others. My contract is up in November, and I am hoping for a 1030 (sorry, best I could do). If they don't have one of those out then I would actually consider a 1020. There will be a lot of 920 owners out of their two year contract in the last quarter of this year though.

Ha guess what? They didn't announce any phones during MWC!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Any need? I didn't say they would, I just hoped they would. My point is that they may mention them to certain elements of the press, doesn't have to be a Nokia X level announcement. The thing is that any things mentioned on the QT frequently filter down to us lot here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro