Windows Phone 8.1 update to come out in the SPRING for CUSTOMERS!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just like all other "releases", it will be announced as available then you'll wait months for it to actually hit your phone. Don't get your hopes up.

Carib1964

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
"So, if operator allow, all Windows Phone 8 device will get updated to Windows Phone 8.1'. This line in that article leaves me with some concern. Is the update carrier controlled?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
"So, if operator allow, all Windows Phone 8 device will get updated to Windows Phone 8.1'. This line in that article leaves me with some concern. Is the update carrier controlled?

This has always been the case. GDR1, 2, and 3, Amber, and Black have all been carrier controlled. But 99% of phones have gotten all 3 updates, so don't worry about that. If Microsoft was able to convince every carrier to release all of those little updates, I'm sure 8.1 will get special attention in that area.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the phone need to be unbranded and not just unlocked?
For example there are bunch of users here on Tmobile that are running with unlocked Rogers Lumias, but from what I understand they get the updated when Rogers pushes it, not when Tmobile pushes it. So even though it's unlocked it's still tied to the carrier update schedule.
For phones on contracts, of course they do. But the unlocked devices will get it earlier.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the phone need to be unbranded and not just unlocked?
For example there are bunch of users here on Tmobile that are running with unlocked Rogers Lumias, but from what I understand they get the updated when Rogers pushes it, not when Tmobile pushes it. So even though it's unlocked it's still tied to the carrier update schedule.
The Developer Preview lets you do an OTA update on any phone, I was running GDR3 on my Rogers Lumia months before Black arrived. At this point, I'm not too concerned about firmware specific updates, my 920 will be 2 years old in Fall and I'll switch up.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
It'll be available, but the mobile providers won't push it. MS needs to take the update cycle into their own hands. Dev Preview will be required. You might be able to update Nokia devices via the care suite, but even that'll be a longshot.

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
People are confusing Firmware updates with OS update. Wp 8.1 will be release by MS (not by Nokia). With the Dev Preview anyone could have GDR3 since last year. The release was very quickly by MS.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The Developer Preview lets you do an OTA update on any phone, I was running GDR3 on my Rogers Lumia months before Black arrived. At this point, I'm not too concerned about firmware specific updates, my 920 will be 2 years old in Fall and I'll switch up.

Oh I didn't know dev preview works OTA, thanks. So how does the process work when you get the OTA update from the carrier after you already received the OTA from Dev Preview?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
People are confusing Firmware updates with OS update. Wp 8.1 will be release by MS (not by Nokia). With the Dev Preview anyone could have GDR3 since last year. The release was very quickly by MS.

Black had GDR3 in it. So it was a firmware update grouped together with the OS update. You could have gotten GDR3 earlier, but you would have to have the Dev Preview. Nothing was pushed until the full Black update was ready and tested by carriers.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It'll be available, but the mobile providers won't push it. MS needs to take the update cycle into their own hands. Dev Preview will be required. You might be able to update Nokia devices via the care suite, but even that'll be a longshot.

IIRC MS already tried to take the update cycle into their own hands but the carriers didn't like it and MS had to cater to them.

Oh I didn't know dev preview works OTA, thanks. So how does the process work when you get the OTA update from the carrier after you already received the OTA from Dev Preview?

If there is any changes from the carrier approved update, your phone will still receive that update. I got GDR3 last year using the dev preview program, but still received the further updates (including Black) once it was released from the carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon