Are you expecting Cortana to look like or official be named Cortana?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the images I have seen of what Cortana may look like actually show the Halo character. As cool as that would be, I refuse to believe that is a possibility. While I think the average techy or gamer would love to have that, I don't think most companies are going to want to give a phone with a naked blue lady to their employees. It also seems like while its a cool idea, it has the potential to cause performance issues that WP just doesn't need.

It would be cool if Cortana didn't appear that way by default, but you could download an app that makes her show up.

Cortana itself is a good name if it is official. I see no reason to change it to like "Bing Helper" or some other generic name. Even if you didn't know what Halo was, Cortana sounds good.

Do you think that Cortana will actually show up like in a lot of the screenshots we have been seeing? Do you think Cortana is even going to be the name?

Usama Jawad96

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
That's a good question.I think instead of showing "a naked blue lady" they should just show her face.And yeah I haven't played halo(don't kill me :p )so I heard about her the first time on wpc,
and I think Cortana is a really good name. :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think they should keep the name, it would more closely tie the thing to an ecosystem.

I don't think it needs a look, but I guess it would be cool, but in that case I'd go with head only like John said, a nearly-naked lady probably wouldn't be a good idea.

rohan sharma6

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I want background downloading support for any thing like game,song,video in any app and Bluetooth video sharing option in any video.pls give this feature is very necessary.if you will provide this feature in windows 8.1,it will be great.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
so Cortana will be a bouncy circle that moves based on her "emotions".. Her color will match the color theme used by your phone.

As for a name, in the leaked SDK she is called "Cortana" with various SDK libraries saying Cortana for a namespace as well as her dialog leaks saying Cortana (and all references to her in the localization files). That being said, we wont know for SURE if her name is Cortana or not until Build when she is officially announced but we are told that you will be able to rename her (per leaks so again not 100% official) to whatever you want so if that is true, even if she is called "Bing Helper" you should be able to rename her to "Cortana".. as for what she sounds like, no one knows. It would be awesome if they used Jen Taylor though :D (original cortana voice from halo series)

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
So the bouncy circle is confirmed? I remember hearing that awhile ago but wasn't sure if anyone had actually seen it. As others have mentioned, I think seeing her face would be great, but only if the performance issues are negligible.

Jen Taylor would probably not come cheap, but I agree it would be an awesome addition. Only for people who actually recognize her voice, though.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So the bouncy circle is confirmed? I remember hearing that awhile ago but wasn't sure if anyone had actually seen it. As others have mentioned, I think seeing her face would be great, but only if the performance issues are negligible.

Jen Taylor would probably not come cheap, but I agree it would be an awesome addition. Only for people who actually recognize her voice, though.

No one has SEEN it.. but images for "tile.start.assistant" and some others have been found in the SDK, and with the rumor of her being a circle already being out there, it is assumed this will. be her representation (though we aren't sure quite HOW it will come to be). While the 3D model would be pretty cool, not sure how practical it would be for actual day-to-day use and having it be "game-y" for enterprise users.

I am s ure Jen Taylor isn't cheap, but Microsoft isn't exactly hurting financially ;) And for those that don't know her voice, it wouldn't matter anyway as she would be on par with Google Now / Siri as just a voice assistant.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they would be able to use Jen Taylor's voice per se. If anything, they will model Cortana's voice after Jen Taylor's. I don't think she would be able to record every possible phrase. Or maybe I'm wrong. I guess we will find out in April.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they would be able to use Jen Taylor's voice per se. If anything, they will model Cortana's voice after Jen Taylor's. I don't think she would be able to record every possible phrase. Or maybe I'm wrong. I guess we will find out in April.

She wouldn't record each phrase, they would record her voice and saying certain syllables and such and then plug that in with a text-to-speech style system like they do for Siri / other text-to-speech software.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
She wouldn't record each phrase, they would record her voice and saying certain syllables and such and then plug that in with a text-to-speech style system like they do for Siri / other text-to-speech software.
Right. That is what I meant by having Cortana modeled after Jen Taylor. Thanks for explaining it better than I did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss