The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-08-2014 09:27 AM
81 1234
tools
    I like this idea. I will probably never use a photo as a background but with this you are no longer limited to the system tile colours. Just fire up Paint, fill with the colour of your choice and set that as a tile background.
    03-02-2014 09:31 AM
    I like this idea. I will probably never use a photo as a background but with this you are no longer limited to the system tile colours. Just fire up Paint, fill with the colour of your choice and set that as a tile background.
    That's assuming that MS won't limit us to a certain set of background options that they themselves choose (like the tattoo backrgrounds on Windows 8). Otherwise, that's a really good idea that I never considered...
    03-02-2014 09:36 AM
    I can't say I dislike this option. Given the right image and correct gradient, I could see this on my 920 or whatever my next device would be.
    03-02-2014 10:07 AM
    You stole my idea :P
    03-02-2014 10:26 AM
    You stole my idea :P
    Actually its my idea exactly, about 5th comment on the wpcentral related article.... 😝

But I still think the tiles will be transparent, and the background image won't move with the tiles, the tiles will float on top. That's how I think its implemented, which I think its awesome.
    03-02-2014 10:42 AM
    03-02-2014 11:09 AM
    what does this mean now,the background picture as in the picture will be shown in a mosiac way on the tiles or behind the tiles ??
    03-02-2014 11:52 AM
    Personally I would love to see both. The tiles wouldn't have to be pictures as you could just choose a solid colour and bypass the stock tile colours?
    03-02-2014 12:02 PM
    I think it looks great.
    03-02-2014 12:19 PM
    Probably something people will rush to try out, and then eventually realize the OS looks much better, in terms of icon clarity, with plain colour tiles.

What i would prefer is the more subtle background images and the dual-colour themes from Windows 8. Still never know, those might be in there somewhere...i hope.
    iAdrian23 and LTTG like this.
    03-02-2014 01:13 PM
    Personally I really like the idea of being able to change the underlying wallpaper to anything we want. Those two pics while being dissed as fake, maybe so, but isn't it the same background pics wpcentral had posted previously?

The change log for 8.1 said we'd have the ability to do this, or not so I'm totally in favor. I'm thinking the "light" and "dark" background options we have currently are pretty limited.
    03-02-2014 03:49 PM
    what does this mean now,the background picture as in the picture will be shown in a mosiac way on the tiles or behind the tiles ??
    I don't know,could be one or even both. But here it says chose background, so I'm guessing This one is behind
    03-02-2014 07:22 PM
    I don't know,could be one or even both. But here it says chose background, so I'm guessing This one is behind
    Unfortunately not. This is the only option we gonna get with wp 8.1, and it's for the tiles. On Tom Warren's twitter account someone said the tiles acts' like a window you can look through to see the wallpaper. So the wallpaper is static and the tiles gonna flow over the wallpaper when you scroll down.
    Last edited by Iki Taba; 03-02-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    taymur likes this.
    03-02-2014 08:02 PM
    Unfortunately not. This is the only option we gonna get with wp 8.1, and it's for the tiles. On Tom Warren's twitter account someone said the tiles acts' like a window you can look through to see the wallpaper. So the wallpaper is static and the tiles gonna flow over the wallpaper when you scroll down.
    that's what I have been explaining for days now.... No one seems to get it. Its even written in wpc post, that tiles will be transparent.
    03-02-2014 11:31 PM
    that's what I have been explaining for days now.... No one seems to get it. Its even written in wpc post, that tiles will be transparent.
    where did you read tiles will be transparent? Please post a link
    03-02-2014 11:44 PM
    That's what I said, its behind the tiles if they are going to flow over it. Well anyway I don't really care about, I could do some customization in PhotoShop like I do for lock screen, Its only month left for 8.1. Waited for Black update over two months,can wait another moth easily))
    03-02-2014 11:45 PM
    where did you read tiles will be transparent? Please post a link
    Quoting "Under Settings, users will indeed have an option to choose to a custom photo or image, which can then been used to ‘skin’ their Live Tiles. It actually works by making the Tiles transparent. The effect is certainly interesting...."
    Link: Windows Phone 8.1 custom images for Live Tiles on the Start screen revealed | Windows Phone Central

I'm pretty convinced this is how It will be.... if not then we will have trouble playing a jigsaw puzzle with a limited tiles on the start screen.
    03-03-2014 12:04 AM
    I thought everyone should know in the beginning that this'd make the tiles transparent in order to look through to the wallpaper, and it'll keep flipping to unveil information with solid background color.
    How can they think this's the same with what Skinery did? to cut an image to multiple pieces and arrange em on screen? That only some supported app can be placed?? If Microsoft really requires users to cut and arrange with only some apps in order to get the wallpaper then they're going to have a really bad time.
    03-03-2014 03:00 AM
    I thought everyone should know in the beginning that this'd make the tiles transparent in order to look through to the wallpaper, and it'll keep flipping to unveil information with solid background color.
    How can they think this's the same with what Skinery did? to cut an image to multiple pieces and arrange em on screen? That only some supported app can be placed?? If Microsoft really requires users to cut and arrange with only some apps in order to get the wallpaper then they're going to have a really bad time.
    Thank you. Everyone is freaking out, but as it seems, this feature will look great as a transparent tile. Finally a window ;)
    03-03-2014 03:51 AM
    that's really nice . Windows phone is gonna bloom

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    03-03-2014 03:59 AM
    This is just an app known as shining theme -_-..BTW that looks HORRIBLE :P
    03-03-2014 05:09 AM
    This is just an app known as shining theme -_-..BTW that looks HORRIBLE :P
    You should add "IMO" to that statement..."BTW that looks horrible IMO".

It looks pretty darn good to me. It took sometime but I'm getting used to the idea that this is the right way for this to work
    03-03-2014 06:05 AM
    putting pictures just kills the entire "simple" approach of WP. I would much rather have something like Windows 8, simple designs and things like that. IMHO.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-05-2014 05:00 AM
    why do you guys want backgrounds so bad? theres almost no point! the tiles are to close together, youd only see a tiny piece at any given time, and adding transparency to the tiles would then add an inconsitancy to the OS and goes against metros design language, FFS if you want decade old outdated features then go back to lagdroid and IOS, WP is taking a much more modern approach to this.. you don't need cluttering backgrounds.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    03-07-2014 03:50 PM
    why do you guys want backgrounds so bad? theres almost no point! the tiles are to close together, youd only see a tiny piece at any given time, and adding transparency to the tiles would then add an inconsitancy to the OS and goes against metros design language, FFS if you want decade old outdated features then go back to lagdroid and IOS, WP is taking a much more modern approach to this.. you don't need cluttering backgrounds.
    I've been wanting to say this for sooo long but I would have said it in an assehole way so as my mother said, "if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all" so I didn't
    03-07-2014 04:03 PM
81 1234