Animation changes on WP8.1!

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
it's the little things that make a big difference like Kernel optimization nobody sees it but everyone Notices it :D I love small UI enhancements but it's under the Hood the excites me!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to explain the whole thing about why I don't find this as interesting and amazing as you do all over again
How did you jump to the conclusion that I consider the change "interesting and amazing"? I'm only interested in animations speeding up.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
@DaviUnic...yes, even i dont know why they changed it..But honestly, I love the WP7 animations and that was the first thing I marked when WP8 launched. Anyways..alls well that ends well.

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
For me, that "back to start screen" animation looks buggy. What are those things at right side behind the tiles? It looks strange for me. Looks like some flickering thing...

DaviUnic

May 31, 2013
Visit site
It's the same on WP8. Looks like the animation is made so that both the startscreen and the applist are treated as a single page and they both swing in, but the app list is hard to see because it's obviously not visible.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think that they've just changed how wide the "pivot" point is for each thing (look at how the start screen flips out a little then inward like in Windows 8.1?), and also sped up the animations, which leads to the user thinking apps now launch faster (when they probably don't, as we saw the dreaded resuming dots return in Battery Power Sense). I'm glad that they kept some aspect of the panoramic app layout and animations for that as that made WP really unique to me. The textbox selector animation has also changed - instead of individual text flipping over it's more like blocks of pixels like shutters. Also for the person wondering about the file manager, we do know they have added a file picker so one can only assume they need something to manage that

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the animations from the Zune HD, they were pretty good and gave the impression of layers making up the interface.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think that they've just changed how wide the "pivot" point is for each thing (look at how the start screen flips out a little then inward like in Windows 8.1?), and also sped up the animations, which leads to the user thinking apps now launch faster (when they probably don't, as we saw the dreaded resuming dots return in Battery Power Sense). I'm glad that they kept some aspect of the panoramic app layout and animations for that as that made WP really unique to me. The textbox selector animation has also changed - instead of individual text flipping over it's more like blocks of pixels like shutters. Also for the person wondering about the file manager, we do know they have added a file picker so one can only assume they need something to manage that

Dude, seriously. I hate those resuming dots. Someone should start a uservoice suggestion to clean up app performance. I think this may be a more significant overhaul of the source code. But it should be a top priority for a future update.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Dude, seriously. I hate those resuming dots. Someone should start a uservoice suggestion to clean up app performance. I think this may be a more significant overhaul of the source code. But it should be a top priority for a future update.

Agreed, I mentioned in another thread how one of the few things I wanted in WP8.1 was for apps updated/written for 8.1 to be optimised/written in such a way that we don't see the resuming dots as often - surely it can't be that hard given the MetroTube instantly resumes whereas Facebook Beta shows the dots for a few seconds....

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Minor changes makes a big difference

I don't know how many times I've made a quick 5 minute UI change and gotten tons of complimentary feedback. Things like moving a button or link, changing a color, adding a simple animation, etc. It's the stuff I slave away on for 12 hours a day for weeks on end that doesn't seem to get noticed.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen so far the new animation changes fall into the different/interesting but not better and why did they bother categories. The new animation when you hit the start button is very similar to the current back button animation except in reverse and slightly quicker. You don't get to see as much of the app list flying in on the right and the tile animation isn't as dramatic. It's kind of jumbled together since it goes by so fast.

The one animation that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is the window blinds animation that is seen when you access a list screen. It seems slower and visually messy compared to the simple clean animation we have now. It might look better in person in smooth 60fps but in videos it just looks jarring and out of place.

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
yeah unfortunately videos and the SDK doesn't do as good of a job as Native Hardware we'll see the real thing in 2 weeks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss