The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-03-2014 04:24 AM
182 12345 ...
tools
    Guys, we have crossed the 1100th vote on this cause, please keep the votes coming and share this with others.

​=)
    03-03-2014 07:02 AM
    I think skinned tiles can look good but the only pictures I've seen have had tiles skinned with pictures that just look terrible. I would prefer backgrounds as an option though.
    03-03-2014 07:22 AM
    ppl are not outraged because this option looks ugly (there's def that too) but more importantly they want the option (concept) that OP posted.

To be fair, a lot of people chose WP8 because of its UI ei Live Tiles, and to make it look like Winamp skin from the 2000 just isn't the way to go
    Iki Taba and gmlongo like this.
    03-03-2014 07:59 AM
    I have nothing against the ideas of backgrounds but I guess the biggest roadblock I see to it is the resizing of tiles on the start screen. Right now I look at my start screen and there's no space available to see it. I'd have to manipulate my screen to go around the background to make it worthwhile. There's only small gaps in the tile and the bit at the top. Is it worth putting a background? It would mean a big change in the display or specailized skinning of the start screen.

I have to say I'm more partial to the skinned tiles but in all honesty I probably wouldn't use either.

So much for simplicity I guess. People have an obsession with making something their own to extremes.
    03-03-2014 08:04 AM
    I want both.
    linking1990 and jomarr like this.
    03-03-2014 08:26 AM
    I have nothing against the ideas of backgrounds but I guess the biggest roadblock I see to it is the resizing of tiles on the start screen. Right now I look at my start screen and there's no space available to see it. I'd have to manipulate my screen to go around the background to make it worthwhile. There's only small gaps in the tile and the bit at the top. Is it worth putting a background? It would mean a big change in the display or specailized skinning of the start screen.

I have to say I'm more partial to the skinned tiles but in all honesty I probably wouldn't use either.

So much for simplicity I guess. People have an obsession with making something their own to extremes.
    Can't you see the gaps created when grouping your start tiles? Please have another look at them.
    11B1P likes this.
    03-03-2014 08:43 AM
    Can't you see the gaps created when grouping your start tiles? Please have another look at them.
    You have to remember that not everyone groups their tiles, even so I think that backgrounds like on Windows 8.1 are the way to go instead 😉
    03-03-2014 08:51 AM
    Watch this please:
    I find it frustrating that we have to complaint to get what's already on Microsoft's platform considering they're pushing for the unifying experience. They should obviously includes something similar to your concept which I love (especially the category and the font you used) it should look similar across the board.
    03-03-2014 09:00 AM
    You have to remember that not everyone groups their tiles, even so I think that backgrounds like on Windows 8.1 are the way to go instead 
    Yes, but even in Windows 8, you can have gaps without making categories.

BTW, this background was taken directly from Windows 8 :)
    03-03-2014 09:08 AM
    I find it frustrating that we have to complaint to get what's already on Microsoft's platform considering they're pushing for the unifying experience. They should obviously includes something similar to your concept which I love (especially the category and the font you used) it should look similar across the board.
    Thank you a lot sir. I wish everyone could see things from the way that you do. :)
    03-03-2014 09:15 AM
    It was a sad day when I found out that this is what Microsoft is planning for WP 8.1. I keep asking myself why and never get an answer.

Why I believe that skinned tiles isn't the way to go:
    • It would clutter the home screen.
    • Flipping skinned-tiles will make the background image look like a chess table with pieces on it!
    • How would they manage having a very tall wallpaper to cover up a long start screen? God please not by repeating the background!
    • It's just plain ugly and ruins the simplicity of WP.

Why I believe that background image is the answer (with tiles grouping + Semantic Zoom):
    • It's a step closer of unifying the experience between WP and Windows 8.
    • Users can choose from a pre-set of simplistic backgrounds (Just like Windows 8), which keeps the OS simple too.
    • Grouping tiles is a must, especially for people who have more than 50 pinned tiles on their start screen.
    • Semantic Zoom can be used to quickly jump between tiles on your start screen (it's the answer for Androids pinch out that brings all the different home-screens in a quick jump, small view list).
    • Grouping tiles creates gaps between them, so the background can show (this argument is for people that always say there is no point of having a background.)

I have made some mock-ups (with interactive tiles, which is not my subject today). Please check them out and let me know what you think:

Attachment 58479

Attachment 58480

Attachment 58481

(You can visit my other post named: Windows Phone 9 Concept-linking1990)

If you agree with me, please give me your vote on the feature suggestion page for Windows Phone. HERE

They are a lot of people that love the skinned tile idea. I am one of them. At first I didn't, now I do. I would have supported your cause IF you said "give us the ability to also have backgrounds" but by saying don't give us skinned tiles, I have no interest in supporting your cause.

The reality of it is that, with the skinned tiles, better customization is achieved. Only a few pictures can work behind the tiles but a lot can work as skinned tiles. No offence to your concept but it looks too busy and the homescreen does indeed look cluttered.

Imagine if someone wanted to use a picture of her baby as her background picture. Behind the tiles, it would just be pointless. With the skinned tiles it would make more sense.
    Let me just post an example of a picture with the skinned tiles and one behind the tiles
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...71272517_o.jpg

You cant even tell what the hell is behind the tiles in the first picture. Let's be real, more casuals would be pleased with the second than the first. Matter of fact, I showed the picture to a lot of android users and they said that it (the second option)is actually so cool.

With skinned tiles, like many have suggested, you can even go as far as creating a custom accent color!

Btw, your points against skinned tiles are weak and your points for backgrounds are kinda weak too
    -It's plain ugly? a lot of people disgree with that.
    -Long picture? The background would be stationary while the tiles move (MS isnt stupid)
    -Clutter the homescreen? IMO, your concept looks a lot more cluttered
    -Step closer to unifying the OS: OSX and iPhone/iPad are quite unified but have a different look(OSX and iphones/pads
    -Users can choose from a "preset"..:The whole point of this is to increase customization. Using preset themes defeat the purpose especially when they can implement it in a way where i can use my pictures and see them fully on the screen
    -Grouping tiles: I approve

Bottomline, skinned tiles seems to be the better of the two options. I would support options but not when it involves me losing what i like permanently
    There

c
    redit: windows phone lovers (for the picture i used)
    Last edited by meddyrainzo; 03-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    eric12341, F3rzz and xoxoGeorges like this.
    03-03-2014 11:06 AM
    That's the reason, cause it's not even out. We want it to be perfect when it's out, we don't want to wait another year for a newer update.

They need to get things right this time around!
    Opinions. You can't please everyone. If you go on sites like the verge, the amount of likes comments supporting skinned tiles get exceeds those supporting background colors. So what you call "perfection" is just like, your opinion man
    03-03-2014 11:15 AM
    Gotta give the guy props for his passion. The things that matter to one won't always matter to another. I'd prefer all energy be spent on giving us a true iMessage experience with Skype. My daughter got an iPad Mini last night and by typing in a simple ID and password was able to basically have everything on her phone directly on her tablet in minutes. Watching it in action made me envious of how smooth the iOS experience really is in comparison to MS. I know the roadblocks that MS got themselves into with Skype, and with the full integration of Windows and WP, I know they'll get there someday, so I'll be patient. I just wish this kind of passion was focused on things that truly effect everyone...skins be damned.
    meddyrainzo and Citizen X like this.
    03-03-2014 11:47 AM
    Yes, but even in Windows 8, you can have gaps without making categories.

BTW, this background was taken directly from Windows 8 :)
    My point is that on Windows Phone 8 you don't have groups!!
    03-03-2014 01:37 PM
    I just wish this kind of passion was focused on things that truly effect everyone...skins be damned.
    Amen to that. Who honestly likes everything about Windows Phone and gets Android instead because of color or picture customizations?
    TripsG and N_LaRUE like this.
    03-03-2014 03:15 PM
    What about having both custom background and skinned tiles, custom background with semi transparent tiles with the accent colour being chosen using a colour wheel and a background with almost fully transparent tiles. With all the other options. What's wrong with having all customisation features available in the update.
    03-03-2014 03:21 PM
    2113 votes nice progress.
    03-03-2014 05:02 PM
    What about having both custom background and skinned tiles, custom background with semi transparent tiles with the accent colour being chosen using a colour wheel and a background with almost fully transparent tiles. With all the other options. What's wrong with having all customisation features available in the update.
    With that you make a good point.
    Let the user make its own decision of what he or she wants.
    I think the home screen is the only place you can express yourself in individuality.
    03-03-2014 05:30 PM
    I think this is way better, this is way more innovative, this is where WP becomes first at doing something.

Transparent Tiles might look like this:
    https://wq1e1g.bn1301.livefilestore....001.gif?psid=1

Sorry the gif was to large to be posted here... I hope this post still looks interesting
    F3rzz likes this.
    03-04-2014 12:44 AM
    My thoughts.

Microsoft should not allow users to choose which picture they want to put as a skinnery theme. On the contrary, if they will eventually bring that feature into the 8.1, then there should probably be several built-in options, like "choose gradient", "choose pattern" and that's it.
    03-04-2014 02:03 AM
    Why not give us both options. I like the Skinnery Tiles better but yeah, a simple Wallpaper can also do. :)
    03-04-2014 02:49 AM
    I think this is way better, this is way more innovative, this is where WP becomes first at doing something.

Transparent Tiles might look like this:
    https://wq1e1g.bn1301.livefilestore....001.gif?psid=1

Sorry the gif was to large to be posted here... I hope this post still looks interesting
    I think that's how it is going to work
    taymur likes this.
    03-04-2014 03:32 AM
    I think that's how it is going to work
    The thing is, what if you didn't have as many color-themed tiles (which will be like a Window in this method), what's the point of having a background then? I don't want to change how my start tiles are arranged so I could get a better view of the background.

Also, many are forgetting about the backgrounds that contain white spaces in them, using them would be a nightmare in this method, would make text unreadable on tiles.

I am not against more options, it would be lovely to have both, but Microsoft will never give us both, it would be too confusing.
    03-04-2014 03:48 AM
    I just put tiles on my screen that I use and group them how I wish but with no gaps, I don't see the point. I treat WP like WP, not like an icon based system. I see where the problem lies.
    03-04-2014 03:59 AM
    The thing is, what if you didn't have as many color-themed tiles (which will be like a Window in this method), what's the point of having a background then? I don't want to change how my start tiles are arranged so I could get a better view of the background.

Also, many are forgetting about the backgrounds that contain white spaces in them, using them would be a nightmare in this method, would make text unreadable on tiles.

I am not against more options, it would be lovely to have both, but Microsoft will never give us both, it would be too confusing.
    For your first point: With the notification center coming, you don't need as many live tiles on your startscreen as before. Also, what's the point of having a background image when you never get to see it cause of all the tiles covering it?

For your second point: Then people would be wise and choose a better picture. With this method, you can use any picture you like and you are not just restricted to one picture. And we haven't seen it in action yet so we cannot tell if MS has thought of a solution for that as well.

I'm also not against more options but I like the skinned tiles options now. I was so against it at first but now I like it and can see it working. If MS can give us both, fine but I wouldn't want the skinned tile option to go
    03-04-2014 03:59 AM
182 12345 ...