07-03-2014 04:24 AM
182 ... 5678
tools
    I just played around real quick with the background in W8.1 and there are a few things ive noticed.
    1) There is a color picker for both background and accents. WP NEEDS this if anything. It's been wanted since WP7 honestly....
    2) Those default backgrounds that have those designs/tattoos and the interactive movements (like the dragon background, theres a few others too) most of them have huge empty blank space at...guess....yup, where the tiles are located. The middle of these backgrounds are completely blank (just solid background color that fits the choice) while the designs themselves flank the tiles (some pass through behind but from bottom to top.
    3.) You can still add a picture (again, choice is good), but it reaffirms the drawback to having such a thing. My desktop background is a car, which kind of sits in the middle of the screen. If I put this background as my metro start screen background, the tiles completely cover it up. The good thing is that Win8.1 has enough large blank space (above and below the screen, separating the tiles by category, the transition from the tiles to the 'system' tiles list, that scrolling across you can see the background image.

In conclusion, WP8.1 should have all the options (background image, background color, skinned tiles) and then we can just go on with our lives. Seriously, its already implemented in Win8. (well not the skinned tiles). Ill be glad when the convergence is damn near happening or already happening because WP has been living in its own little world while Win8 and WinRT were pretty much side by side...and WP and RT should have been the same product from the beginning.
    03-14-2014 01:24 AM
    I haven't seen anyone report this (tech blogs) but if it's true, then great!
    03-14-2014 09:58 AM
    I just played around real quick with the background in W8.1 and there are a few things ive noticed.
    1) There is a color picker for both background and accents. WP NEEDS this if anything. It's been wanted since WP7 honestly....
    2) Those default backgrounds that have those designs/tattoos and the interactive movements (like the dragon background, theres a few others too) most of them have huge empty blank space at...guess....yup, where the tiles are located. The middle of these backgrounds are completely blank (just solid background color that fits the choice) while the designs themselves flank the tiles (some pass through behind but from bottom to top.
    3.) You can still add a picture (again, choice is good), but it reaffirms the drawback to having such a thing. My desktop background is a car, which kind of sits in the middle of the screen. If I put this background as my metro start screen background, the tiles completely cover it up. The good thing is that Win8.1 has enough large blank space (above and below the screen, separating the tiles by category, the transition from the tiles to the 'system' tiles list, that scrolling across you can see the background image.

In conclusion, WP8.1 should have all the options (background image, background color, skinned tiles) and then we can just go on with our lives. Seriously, its already implemented in Win8. (well not the skinned tiles). Ill be glad when the convergence is damn near happening or already happening because WP has been living in its own little world while Win8 and WinRT were pretty much side by side...and WP and RT should have been the same product from the beginning.
    And I'd add: custom tile colors. I'm so annoyed by the green music + videos tile. I do not hope other developers will do that... I stopped using Line because of this (and because it's a bad app on WP...).
    F3rzz likes this.
    03-16-2014 05:51 AM
    Skins are here to stay. DEAL.

03-17-2014 05:09 PM
    It's a nice mockup:

1) Doesn't kill the main purpose of Live Tiles, which is the ability to spot them at a glance;

2) Does't kill the identity of the Live Tiles, meaning, they keep their colour, just like the way they were designed to be.

But it still has a few drawbacks, such as:

1) Background photos with many details make the hole OS less clean and make you lose that flat feeling;

2) Translucency isn't a part of the metro language.

In my opinion the best solution is the ability to change the colour of the background or to chose from a couple of built in gradient photos.

Anyway, if I had to chose between this mockup and the skinned tiles Microsoft is giving us, I would go for the mockup any day!
    then we change metro. Aero metro anyone. Taking cues from windows 7 and windows 8.
    03-19-2014 02:08 PM
    then we change metro. Aero metro anyone. Taking cues from windows 7 and windows 8.
    You can't be changing all the time. It brings confusion to the market. Regular consumers (unlike most of us) don't like change.
    03-19-2014 06:38 PM
    You can't be changing all the time. It brings confusion to the market. Regular consumers (unlike most of us) don't like change.
    Ok but can we at least have translucent tiles and background image as an option?
    03-20-2014 12:44 PM

Looks much better than I thought, with the parallaxing.
    03-28-2014 12:59 PM
    The image has to be chosen very very carefully and the tiles have to be given a smart arrangement in order to make it look good. White or black background are also important considering the colours of the background photo chosen. In summary, it's not an easy task to make it look good with this method and we will see many with very messy start screens. The opposite of the metro language.
    03-28-2014 01:17 PM
    I like the idea. I made some concepts. I just made them on MS Paint but you get the idea.
    windows-phone-8.1-concept.jpg

windows-phone-8.1-concept-3.jpg

windows-phone-8.1-concept-2.jpg
    03-28-2014 04:26 PM
    I wonder what phone that is? You know since I see on screen tiles, couldn't see if it had physical buttons.

New background is looking awesome though!
    03-28-2014 04:51 PM
    Thanks for the concepts, but honestly, I like the transparent tiles/tile background idea a lot better.
    Blake Quartly likes this.
    03-28-2014 04:53 PM
    Screw all this the new thing is better, skinned tiles FTW.
    Backgrounds can not be as cool as this, plus its incredibly inovative and unique (which I like).
    Now when I saw how it looks, it just has me. I can not wait to buy a WP!

*Remember, this is my oppinion.
    Blake Quartly likes this.
    03-28-2014 06:25 PM
    One word. Preference.

Preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference preference.

Please can we stop arguing about things like this. This is the decision a large, skilled design team has made. I have no doubt they would have weighed up the pros and cons. Sure, submit the idea to the WP development team, but there's no need to get worked up about things like this. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    xandros9 and Ma Rio like this.
    03-28-2014 06:34 PM
    Just try this in real HD screen you will be happy ever after..
    03-28-2014 07:04 PM
    I like it too much... You just basing in a video in low quality. But in real HD screen this is the best.
    03-28-2014 07:07 PM
    Funny story. People were crying saying "MS this is not what your users asked for" but then the poll on WPCentral has those for skinned tiles 10 times greater than those against it. (over 2000 more users prefer the skinned option).
    Talderon, user928, F3rzz and 1 others like this.
    03-28-2014 07:22 PM
    I was very against this at first, but I'm warming up to it! Looks a lot better in real life.
    Talderon and Blake Quartly like this.
    03-28-2014 07:30 PM
    I was very against this at first, but I'm warming up to it! Looks a lot better in real life.
    you have seen it in real life?
    03-28-2014 07:33 PM
    There are millions of windows phone users that don't come here in windows phone central. Only 1 out of 10,000. And only 1 out of 1000 windows phone devices updated, since millions of user don't even bother to go to windows phone updates settings
    03-28-2014 08:20 PM
    you have seen it in real life?
    Yes. Every Day.
    03-28-2014 08:25 PM
    I like it but how to create tranparent icon for windows phone apps.
    03-28-2014 08:39 PM
    I love it keep us busy swipe from the top for notification and go to setting to see more options. More options is greatest things than you stock with only one.
    If no options it means i have no choice.
    03-28-2014 08:44 PM
    People are already changing their minds xD

such lack of imagination in the first place, and those who don't like it, will prolly like it once they have on their phones and pick gorgeous images.

EDIT:
    03-28-2014 09:08 PM
    I wonder what phone that is? You know since I see on screen tiles, couldn't see if it had physical buttons.

New background is looking awesome though!

It's the Nokia Lumia 630, successor to the Nokia L620

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Tapatalk
    03-28-2014 09:20 PM
182 ... 5678